Insulted by "Genius" at Apple Store

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by randyhudson, Jul 3, 2010.

1. randyhudson macrumors regular

So, I just got back from the Apple store in Crabtree Valley Mall, Raleigh, NC, where I demonstrated the Internet connectivity issues I was having to a tall, bald/shaved douchebag at the "genius" bar.

I showed him using Speedtest.net, that I got ~1.0 Mbps D/L and U/L if I held the phone by the glass, and if I held the phone normally, it dropped to 0.0, or even failed to find a server. This was right there in the store. Even Safari would fail to load a webpage if I was holding the phone, but worked fine if I held it by the glass or wrapped my phone inside a plastic bag from the Disney store.

He mentioned the official press release from Apple, so I asked him how that was related to my issue!? I don't care how many bars were being displayed or how tall they were. My complaint was not being able to use the Internet when holding the phone normally.

So, the guy made some BS claim that it could be a software issue, and maybe resetting the phone to the factory defaults would help. So I called his bluff and waited 15 minutes while he reset the phone.

He handed me back my phone, and we both watched as I opened up Safari again to load a web page. Wow, it loaded instantly. But wait, this is strange... Why would a factory-reset iPhone have joined the "Apple Store" WiFi access point. The idiot actually configured my phone to join the store's wifi network before bringing it back to me in hopes that I wouldn't notice.

So I brought up settings and turned off wifi, tried again, and sure enough, nothing had actually changed. When holding the phone naturally, I had no Internet and sometime no GSM signal either. I thanked the prick for wasting my time resetting the phone, not to mention the hour it's going to take to restore the phone when I get home. Needless to say, I had a few other words for him for trying to trick me with a wifi Internet connection, which he admitted to doing.

This is a sad day for Apple. I use a MacBook Pro at work, after begging my department to purchase them. I have bought 2 previous iPhones, and I would have kept this one if the guy had given me a piece of plastic which costs Apple at most one dollar to manufacture. Instead, I'll be heading back to the store for a full refund. Just a year ago, Apple replaced my time capsule ($499) with an updated replacement for free, outside of warranty. Now they won't even acknowledge that there is a problem if you stand there in the store and show it to them.

2. fastblack macrumors regular

sucks, but lol@ trying to trick you with wifi

3. MassiveAttack macrumors 6502a

Just the fact that they are called geniuses us insulting enough. What are we the customers?

4. broncopde macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (iPod touch: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Sounds like a bad apple (no pun intended). That doesn't sound like he was doing what Apple would deem as right.

5. iphoneguy123 macrumors regular

This is the beginning of Apples downfall. Either jobs needs to be fired or he will bring Apple down with him.

It was fun while it lasted.

6. coasterider macrumors regular

Relax. Go buy a case until they fix it. They are not made of magic and can instantly fix our phones.

7. matt550 macrumors 6502

Wifi is automatically turned on when the iPhone is reset, I doubt he did it on purpose.

Edit: unless you need a password for their network, then that fuc*ed up.

8. MassiveAttack macrumors 6502a

I agree it starts at the top, Apple pompously claims to do everything better and this is a result of this ridiculous way of thinking. Apple has become a bunch of condescending douches from the CEO all the way to these so called geniuses.

9. ApplEngineer macrumors regular

Ok, and what did you want him to do for you? Bow down to you and say oh yes its the design, let me go out back and re-design the phone for you!

I mean seriously, you obviously know there are issues with the phone, if it is not an acceptable phone then you can return it and buy a different phone. Wow, that's simple isn't it?

You were obviously looking for something specific out of the "genius". And you have to remember that Apple Corporate tells the stores what they should do in various cases, including with the reception issue.

Oh and, cool story bro.

10. Munitalp macrumors 65816

Return your iPhone and have a beer, you will feel better then :)

11. rican macrumors 6502

rican

How can you say that when a "Genius," at the apple store tried tricking a customer...

Wow dude you should report him - such terrible customer service.

12. Sean4123 macrumors 6502

If you're going to return the phone, then why are you whining about having to restore all of your previous settings? Why didn't you just return the phone then? I think you're going to keep it and so are most others that are whining. Buy a case and you all your iPhone nightmares will magically disappear. I'll be waiting for the inevitable, "I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO BUY AN ACCESSORY TO MAKE MY $2000 PHONE WORK" speech.

It sucks that you need a case, but deal with it. It's not like a case costs $100. You people need to get a life.

13. wovel macrumors 68000

14. Sean4123 macrumors 6502

So did you take your iPhone back yet? No? I didn't think so.

15. coasterider macrumors regular

He is clearly aware of the problem, and how Apple is handling it, and yet he was trying to get some satisfaction of a bumper or another phone, but nobody else is getting that so he's just upset he did not get what he wanted.

16. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

Yes wifi is turned on but it won't automatically join a network the genius had to do that.
    they don't require passwords.

17. firteen888 macrumors regular

I LOL'd

18. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

I know just the guy you are talking about. Have had some problems with him before. He can be a total pain in the rear.

19. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

Uh just print Apples press release about exchanges, and get a new one. I wouldn't even consider a conversation with those guys. Why would deal with all that based on "personality" and how the dude currently "feels" like handling your situation.

20. rican macrumors 6502

rican

then in that case... :rolleyes:

21. JeffreyDJ macrumors regular

Except it wouldn't join the network automatically...

22. army91c macrumors 6502a

I don't think anyone could say anything more ignorant than that. Well, I but you could but it would be tough.

Never mind... just saw this one. It's not as ignorant as what you said iphoneguy but close.

23. Macficionado macrumors newbie

This is really bad costumer service and someone should report this guy. Trying to deceive you by using WiFi is certainly not good. However, although I would feel really pissed off if a company I respect so much had an employee treat me as badly, I think the rational thing to do is to try to get an accurate picture of whether your phone has a problem.

In particular, you want to know if your phone has an even worse reception than the rest. For this, I would suggest that you take your phone to an Apple store and try to access websites on both an iPhone on display and yours. Compare their reaction as you grip them. If they're side by side, you should get comparable reception and you'll get to see if it's a defect on your device or if it's just a result of the attenuated signal that happens to all of us.

If it's the first, I'm sure you can reschedule a meeting with a 'genius'. Otherwise, I guess it's up to you to decide if the phone is usable as is, and if not I'd say giving it back is more than warranted.

What do you think?

24. glen e macrumors 68030

Some you you guys need to get a life - return the phone, get your money back and go buy something else....

the truth is the other 99.9% of the owners that are not on these geek sites are fine with the phone...

And Consumer Reports pretty much confirms that:

http://9to5mac.com/node/19031

Apple will be fine....with a market cap of 224 BILLION..I doubt this is the "beginning of the end"....

25. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

Your experience sucks, but to be fair, these guys are getting paid something like 10 bucks an hour to handle a huge problem. All he can really tell you is to wait for a software fix or use a case.