Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

randyhudson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
USA
Getting into a public physical altercation over a technical device malfunction is just beyond acceptable...no matter how "obnoxious" the apple employee could have acted, getting into a shouting match and escalating it into a physical confrontation was going to end badly for the OP...

What thread are you replying to? Neither myself nor the genius resorted to shouting nor anything resembling a physical confrontation. Sorry to disappoint you.

SIUGRAD99

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2008
When you are behaving like a douchebag yourself, why would you expect anything less in return?

This sums up everything. I love the entitled whiners that give attitude to the employees and expect to be treated like gold. Your attitude has a lot to do with how your treated and to come here and tell us your sob story in the way your described it tells me you went in pissed off expecting a new phone and when they didn't roll out the red carpet like they did to replace your out of warranty time machine you probably got ignorant with the guy.

If you walk in calmly and attempt to have the issue resolved chances are you walk out with a new handset. Now all we get to hear is your BS story about returning the phone which will never happen.

tschur

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2007
Not to mention there are a lot of people who harass genii (thinking they know it all) asking them why they (as if the genii make the product) would make a product that "didn't work", and what they personally (again as if it's the genii's fault) are going to do about it.

"Geniuses" is the common word for more than one "genius." "Genii" is commonly the plural form of "genie." Sometimes, though not usually, "genius" and "genie" are used as loose synonyms (these are the rare occasions "genii" might serve as the plural form of "genius").

A genie is a spirit of Arabian folklore. And a genius is a person who possesses exceptional intellect or talent. An Apple Genius is an Apple employee who stands behind the Apple store's Genius Bar; he or she is not a genie, and probably not a genius (since geniuses are by definition rare). Thus the preferred plural form of Apple Genius is Apple Geniuses. On a related note, mobiles phones are not "magical."

BuiltforSin

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2009
VA
So, I just got back from the Apple store in Crabtree Valley Mall, Raleigh, NC, where I demonstrated the Internet connectivity issues I was having to a tall, bald/shaved douchebag at the "genius" bar.

I showed him using Speedtest.net, that I got ~1.0 Mbps D/L and U/L if I held the phone by the glass, and if I held the phone normally, it dropped to 0.0, or even failed to find a server. This was right there in the store. Even Safari would fail to load a webpage if I was holding the phone, but worked fine if I held it by the glass or wrapped my phone inside a plastic bag from the Disney store.

He mentioned the official press release from Apple, so I asked him how that was related to my issue!? I don't care how many bars were being displayed or how tall they were. My complaint was not being able to use the Internet when holding the phone normally.

So, the guy made some BS claim that it could be a software issue, and maybe resetting the phone to the factory defaults would help. So I called his bluff and waited 15 minutes while he reset the phone.

He handed me back my phone, and we both watched as I opened up Safari again to load a web page. Wow, it loaded instantly. But wait, this is strange... Why would a factory-reset iPhone have joined the "Apple Store" WiFi access point. The idiot actually configured my phone to join the store's wifi network before bringing it back to me in hopes that I wouldn't notice.

So I brought up settings and turned off wifi, tried again, and sure enough, nothing had actually changed. When holding the phone naturally, I had no Internet and sometime no GSM signal either. I thanked the prick for wasting my time resetting the phone, not to mention the hour it's going to take to restore the phone when I get home. Needless to say, I had a few other words for him for trying to trick me with a wifi Internet connection, which he admitted to doing.

This is a sad day for Apple. I use a MacBook Pro at work, after begging my department to purchase them. I have bought 2 previous iPhones, and I would have kept this one if the guy had given me a piece of plastic which costs Apple at most one dollar to manufacture. Instead, I'll be heading back to the store for a full refund. Just a year ago, Apple replaced my time capsule ($499) with an updated replacement for free, outside of warranty. Now they won't even acknowledge that there is a problem if you stand there in the store and show it to them.

You're one of the ******* retail customers that everyone laughs at and makes fun of after you walk away. What did you expect? You know there are problems with the phone. What did you want/expect him to do? Give you a miracle fix for something Apple knows about and is working on? Sounds like you're the douchebag prick.

Pez555

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2010
You're one of the ******* retail customers that everyone laughs at and makes fun of after you walk away. What did you expect? You know there are problems with the phone. What did you want/expect him to do? Give you a miracle fix for something Apple knows about and is working on? Sounds like you're the douchebag prick.

really no need for that insult.

i would have done exactly the same as the OP, and for the record, your iphone will NOT automatically connect to wifi after a reset. it would only automatically connect if you have connected to the wifi location beforehand - which would have been wiped with the reset.

im with the OP here, ****** customer service. he would have heard the bad side of me for trying to get away with that crap.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
It sounds to me like the OP wanted to either show off or make a scene with someone from Apple instead of get something fixed. I know plenty of this type, and I'm sure the Genius was wishing his store had a dungeon. The fact that the OP is replying a day later to posts kinda confirms this.

Considering nobody has figured out a fix for this yet that doesn't involve not holding the phone in a certain way, I don't know what the OP expected since he obviously frequents this board. Sounds like he went in there and wanted a free bumper or $100 gift card.

If you go into a store expecting someone to treat you like crap, you're going to end up with exactly that because you're going to be a d-bag in the first place.

randyhudson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
USA
If you go into a store expecting someone to treat you like crap, you're going to end up with exactly that because you're going to be a d-bag in the first place.

So, anyone who has a problem with an Apple product is a "d-bag". I guess that makes nearly everyone who uses this forum one.

mmyers0520

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
USA
Buy a case and you all your iPhone nightmares will magically disappear. I'll be waiting for the inevitable, "I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO BUY AN ACCESSORY TO MAKE MY $2000 PHONE WORK" speech.

It sucks that you need a case, but deal with it. It's not like a case costs $100. You people need to get a life.

1. No the problems won't disappear with the purchase of a case. Voice of experience. and...
2. Wait no longer about the acessory gripe. Nobody, when spending this amount of $ on a cell phone (backed by a company famous for their R&D/due diligence), should have to buy an accessory to make the most basic function of a phone work properly. Small bugs are expected, yes. But the display, faster speed, camera, etc. I could give two *****s about when it won't even place a call/load a webpage. If a case is such a trivial purchase for you, I'll message you my paypal and you can send me $/ get one for me. :rolleyes:

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
I had the same issue! I'm located in Miami FL and went to the Falls to get some more insight regarding the reception issue. The genius gave me the run around, telling me that it's a software bug and Apple has released a press release regarding the issue.

First off, my patience was tested. This genius sounded like he was reading a script when it came to telling me about the press release and software bug. When I told him I believe my situation goes beyond that he just continue to read the script. So, I left insulted and with no insight regarding the issue. I then returned and spoke w the store manager and expressed my displeasure regarding the entire situation. She as well gave me the run around but was much more understanding and comforting. She told me I'm free to return the phone but advises to hold on till the software is released; I agreed.

However, I also told her I'm not just going to update the iOS until I've read that this does work and fixes the problem and not just sort of way for apple to cover their mistake w a "software update".

I am one to buy into this theory that apple will program the software to show you have bars when in reality, you're still suffering from reception issues then making it a AT&T.

Regardless, I was very disappointed in the way Apple handle my situation. They're usually very good when it comes to customer satisfaction but this time, they fell short of that.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Some you you guys need to get a life - return the phone, get your money back and go buy something else....

the truth is the other 99.9% of the owners that are not on these geek sites are fine with the phone...

And Consumer Reports pretty much confirms that:

http://9to5mac.com/node/19031

Apple will be fine....with a market cap of 224 BILLION..I doubt this is the "beginning of the end"....

You mean like this article where they confirm the issue.

"Almost immediately, the signal strength began to drop in the meter from the original three or four bars—depending on my location within the house—to zero bars. The drop took about 5 seconds."

BuiltforSin

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2009
VA
I had the same issue! I'm located in Miami FL and went to the Falls to get some more insight regarding the reception issue. The genius gave me the run around, telling me that it's a software bug and Apple has released a press release regarding the issue.

First off, my patience was tested. This genius sounded like he was reading a script when it came to telling me about the press release and software bug. When I told him I believe my situation goes beyond that he just continue to read the script. So, I left insulted and with no insight regarding the issue. I then returned and spoke w the store manager and expressed my displeasure regarding the entire situation. She as well gave me the run around but was much more understanding and comforting. She told me I'm free to return the phone but advises to hold on till the software is released; I agreed.

However, I also told her I'm not just going to update the iOS until I've read that this does work and fixes the problem and not just sort of way for apple to cover their mistake w a "software update".

I am one to buy into this theory that apple will program the software to show you have bars when in reality, you're still suffering from reception issues then making it a AT&T.

Regardless, I was very disappointed in the way Apple handle my situation. They're usually very good when it comes to customer satisfaction but this time, they fell short of that.

Probably because you're one of the manY customers that have came in asking about it.

MacAficionado

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2002
An awesome place
Relax people

Honestly, when I got my iPhone 4 I tested covering the iPhone with the so called "death grip" and got the bars to disappear and to a no service alert. I I thought to myself this is probably the same for a lot of phones, and I in no way will hold the iPhone that way during pretty much any circumstance. I ignored it and I can honestly say I have the best reception I've had in any phone in the past 5 years. WiFi reception in the house is amazing, and I have yet to drop a call. In fact I streamed LastFm all the way to work without issues.

I bet people are just trying to exaggerate the situation to get something out of it. This is a big deal right now just because of all the press. I agree with anyone that says that if you dint like the iPhone, return it. There may be some people out there having legitimate issues, but a lot if not most are just whining over a non issue.

So just ignore all the press and enjoy the damn iPhone, it is pretty amazing and the reception is really good.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
So, anyone who has a problem with an Apple product is a "d-bag". I guess that makes nearly everyone who uses this forum one.

the geniuses can't fix anything. it's up to the engineers in cupertino and apple's partners. what do you expect? a free iMac for your trouble? i noticed the 5 bar no data thing on my 3GS last year and thought it was classic apple trying to make you feel better about your purchase. it's the way almost every apple product is designed. hide the details or ship slower hardware but use the best display because that is what the person sees

my 3GS does the exact same thing as the iphone 4 in some situations. like in parts of my in law's home where the wifi signal is bad. it will show full wifi but i won't get any data

it's a bug in the phone. all phones have bugs these days. in fact most products that are more complicated than a toaster ship with bugs. and even my mother in law's toaster that has an LED display is worse than my old one with just a handle.

Hankcah

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2010
Rather the support team to be called "Geniuses" rather than, "Mediocre Techies who dress like hipsters, who AREn't from overseas." Don't get angry.

fender57

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2010
Looks like I'll give this store a visit. I experienced the complete opposite in Fashion Valley apple. Probably cause they're the most busiest store in the county..

This was last year, but an errant foul ball landed on my 3GS while I was browsing in the dugout and cracked my screen. The Apple Store at UTC was great, they replaced the screen at no charge even though it was outside the warranty period.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.