Intel Admits A Chip Error - Shares Halted - is it Sandy Bridge!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by OzExige, Jan 31, 2011.

1. OzExige macrumors 6502

OzExige

BREAKING NEWS
    Intel Shares Halted, Company Reveals Chipset Design Error, Will Trim First-Quarter Revenue by $300M (story developing)

From CNBC .....
    Please don't let it be the new MBP :eek:

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

3. simsaladimbamba

Is your thread title a question (usually indicated by a question mark) or is it a statement, as you use an exclamation mark but the word order ("is it") indicates a question?

I am just curious.

http://www.cnbc.com/

It's in that red, LIVE ticker at the top of the page, though nothing more yet.

4. Pair macrumors member

Confused. Is it the chip being affected or the MBP?

5. OzExige thread starter macrumors 6502

OzExige

6. IT-Pro macrumors regular

7. Lone Deranger macrumors 65816

Lone Deranger

8. SHIFTLife macrumors 6502

9. PUMMYUK macrumors member

"In some cases, the Serial-ATA (SATA) ports within the chipsets may degrade over time, potentially impacting the performance or functionality of SATA-linked devices such as hard disk drives and DVD-drives. The chipset is utilized in PCs with Intel’s latest Second Generation Intel Core processors, code-named Sandy Bridge. Intel has stopped shipment of the affected support chip from its factories. Intel has corrected the design issue, and has begun manufacturing a new version of the support chip which will resolve the issue. The Sandy Bridge microprocessor is unaffected and no other products are affected by this issue.

The company expects to begin delivering the updated version of the chipset to customers in late February and expects full volume recovery in April. Intel stands behind its products and is committed to product quality. For computer makers and other Intel customers that have bought potentially affected chipsets or systems, Intel will work with its OEM partners to accept the return of the affected chipsets, and plans to support modifications or replacements needed on motherboards or systems. The systems with the affected support chips have only been shipping since January 9th and the company believes that relatively few consumers are impacted by this issue. The only systems sold to an end customer potentially impacted are Second Generation Core i5 and Core i7 quad core based systems. Intel believes that consumers can continue to use their systems with confidence, while working with their computer manufacturer for a permanent solution. For further information consumers should contact Intel at www.intel.com on the support page or contact their OEM manufacturer.""

10. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

Whew! Good to know my 1st-gen i5 MBP isn't affected. Still, this will not be a good day at Intel.

The biggest gripers will be DIY'ers who adopted Sandy Bridge early and installed Windows. Since this is a chipset issue, the motherboards will likely have to be replaced to fix the issue. Doing so almost always causes the Windows activation code to trigger, and those users will have to convince Microsoft to allow them to reactivate. (That is, unless Intel warns Microsoft beforehand and MS streamlines the process.)

11. lifeguard90 macrumors 6502a

great. this sucks. so much for the hope last week of finally a mbp report of shortages, now were going to have to wait even longer, who knows how long; and go back to hearing about ipad all the time and all that

12. Xenc macrumors 6502a

Xenc

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Wow, that's not good news! Will Intel be giving out free bumpers now too?

13. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

14. CopperX macrumors member

15. OzExige thread starter macrumors 6502

OzExige

Sucks big time!
    I've been nursing my MBP 4.1 waiting for The Tuesday announcement.
    It appears that it may not be a Tuesday in February now.
    Crap Crappity Crap C

16. IT-Pro macrumors regular

As far as I know there's not only a difference between desktop and mobile processors, but also a difference between the chipsets that are being used. So, this error doesn't necessarily have to involve both desktop and notebook chipsets.

Please correct me if I'm wrong about this.

17. lifeguard90 macrumors 6502a

Apple needs to move away from Intel, their a joke. First it was last years supply shortages and selling chips in bulk to PC makers vs Apple, now this time production was up, but they screwed up on the damn chipset. Ridiculous.

18. CopperX macrumors member

Does this affect only the quad-core Sandy Bridges?

19. dtodor macrumors member

The mobile version of the chip is codenamed "Cougar Point - M". According to Intel PR, the faulty chip is the "Cougar Point", which is used in desktops.

20. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Intel said 6-series chipsets and that includes mobile chipsets as well. The technology used in all chipsets is pretty similar, especially when it comes to SATA which is the source of the problem.

The issue is in the chipset so it affects all current Sandy Bridge CPUs, including dual cores (when they come). The CPUs themselves are completely fine though

21. lifeguard90 macrumors 6502a

I hope your right on this/ that apple will still refresh the line soon and not wait another quarter

22. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Hmmm. This news makes it rather tempting to not wait for the refresh...

23. frocco macrumors 6502

frocco

I just purchased an HP with the i7-2600 chip. Does this affect me?
    I can still return it.

Thanks

24. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Frank:

"The systems with the affected support chips have only been shipping since January 9th and the company believes that relatively few consumers are impacted by this issue. The only systems sold to an end customer potentially impacted are Second Generation Core i5 and Core i7 quad core based systems. Intel believes that consumers can continue to use their systems with confidence, while working with their computer manufacturer for a permanent solution. For further information consumers should contact Intel at www.intel.com on the support page or contact their OEM manufacturer."