Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Beige Panda

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2011
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-20034900-64.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

cnet.com said:
Intel on Thursday is expected to roll out Light Peak, a high-speed connection technology that Apple is also likely to adopt.

Intel released a statement to the media today stating that on Thursday in San Francisco it will "host a...press briefing to discuss a new technology that is about to appear on the market."

There will also be a media event held the same day at the Intel campus in Santa Clara, Calif., where the chipmaker will conduct technology and product demonstrations.

Maybe not coincidentally, Apple is expected to roll out new MacBook Pros--and possibly other products--on Thursday.

Intel has been working on Light Peak for years and recently said the initial version would be based on copper, as time-to-market realities necessitate more conventional technology. Light Peak is significantly faster than even USB 3.0, carrying data at 10 gigabits per second in both directions simultaneously. Connection speeds will not be affected by the transition to copper, according to Intel.

As CNET reported earlier, the technology is expected to find its way into Apple products. When Intel initially demonstrated Light Peak at its developer conference in 2009 it used a machine running Apple's Mac OS X.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
Intel Also Launching 'Light Peak' Thursday

220905-LPBlog5.png

Prototype Light Peak connector. Photo from PCPro.co.uk
CNet reports that Intel is launching Light Peak on Thursday, February 24th,
Intel released a statement to the media today stating that on Thursday in San Francisco it will "host a...press briefing to discuss a new technology that is about to appear on the market."
The date happens to coincide with Apple's expected release of new MacBook Pros.

We don't expect this to be a coincidence and perhaps explains why Apple choose to launch the new MacBook Pros on a Thursday rather than Tuesday.

Article Link: Intel Also Launching 'Light Peak' Thursday

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
As long as USB is still around then good. Let's see what it can do.

Although, admittedly, I'm also solely wireless now (Time Machine backups, iTunes, file server, print server).

TOYSTER17

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2010
So much for only a spec bump with no media event :D My guess is that they might have a new MBP on hand to show off the technology.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cr0nus

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2011
Boston / LA
Lightpeak addition to MBP is the only justification for a refresh in the product line since usb 3 is catching on. Make us proud Intel/Apple!!!

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
Great news. But, doesn't your device also have to support light peak as well like your iphone, iPad or HDD?

Not trying to ruin the excitement, but no device uses light peak at this point. Probably because it's not out yet...

But, I am all for faster data transfer.

If this MBP gets major redesign including metal, thinner body, SSD and light peak. I am going to highly consider buying one.

Buskape

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2008
NGC 4889
This explains how they managed to sort out the nvidia chipset issue with intel processor, looks like their working hands in hands now.

But i hardly see Intel presenting the new MBP to the public first, just to show their new technology..

Tconroy135

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2011
Light Peak seems extremely promising for so many things, Ill be buying one of the NEW MBP not sure if 13" 15" or 17" depends on what is available at each spec, but Light Peak would be nice to experiment with until I build a PC(Windows) with it.

The Samurai

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2007
Glasgow
Currently undergoing pre-launch phase with the MBP 'hype' - too many expectations :D.

Post-launch - no LP and hate/negativity on the boards.

p.s. im all up for LP on the MBP's. :D

Dr Kevorkian94

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2009
SI, NY
if i was in the need for a macbook pro (besides the fact that i want one without any justification or need just because it is awesome) i would go buy one lol

Yankee617

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2010
As long as USB is still around then good. Let's see what it can do.

AppleInsider says the 13" MBP will have 3 USB ports, 12 hours battery life, 1440x900 resolution, Core i3 chip, weigh 0.44 lbs less, 16 GB SSD to store OS X (for fast boot), and offer a matte screen option on high-end model. No more white Mac Book.

paradox00

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2009
Great news. But, doesn't your device also have to support light peak as well like your iphone, iPad or HDD?

Not trying to ruin the excitement, but no device uses light peak at this point. Probably because it's not out yet...

The second generation iPad is rumored to be announced on the following Tuesday ;)

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
Cool,
Now I just hope soon to see a card to add lightpeak on my MacPro.

The new MacBook Pros are looking amazing if they have a second SSD drive, lighter and lightpeak.

rjbruce

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I'm quite stunned, and still slightly skeptical, but it sure seems like it's going to happen.

Now I can plug my...my...what exactly can I plug into it starting Thursday (when I get my new MBP, naturally)? :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.