Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Intel and NVIDIA Team Up for Future Processors

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

As part of the $1.5 billion dollar settlement between Intel and NVIDIA, Ars Technica reports that Intel is planning on integrating NVIDIA GPUs into their future chips.
"The cross-licensing agreement allows Intel to integrate NVIDIA technologies and those that are covered by our patents into their CPUs, such as Sandy Bridge, for example," said Jen-Hsuan. "And a cross-license allows us to build processors and take advantage of Intel patents for the types of processor we're building--Project Denver, Tegra, and the types of processors we're going to build in the future."
While NVIDIA CEO reconfirmed they have no intention of reentering the chipset market, the use of NVIDIA GPUs as Intel's integrated graphics chip could accomplish the same basic result for end users. Apple has been slow to adopt the latest Intel chips for their low end machines, possibly due to the poor GPU performance of Intel's existing integrated graphics chips.

Article Link: Intel and NVIDIA Team Up for Future Processors

Last edited by a moderator:

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Talk about mind = blown if nVidia just turns into Intel's IGP department. (In addition to their discrete sales.)

Comment

darkleemar

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2010
hehe

apple had a part in this I just know it. Seems to work out perfectly for them, doesn't it?

Comment

Bytor65

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2010
Canada
Ugh, don't quote ridiculous blog wanking. Intel isn't including NVidia GPUs.

They are likely using some NVidia patents. Vastly different thing.

Comment

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
apple had a part in this I just know it. Seems to work out perfectly for them, doesn't it?

That and Intel gets a huge piece of IP into their processors that only need fab guys and accountants to handle. Wonder if the layoffs of the GPU guys at Intel hit yet. Intel has been getting spanked lately in a lot of markets. This coming in lets them offer affordable a part to build gamer machines at much lower price.

Comment

aCondor

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2010
United States
Well this is better news than we just got 5 minutes ago...

NVIDIA cannot build chipsets for Intel. Intel can build chipsets with NVIDIA.

Works out very well... Can we expect to see this on the new 2011 MBPs? Best of both worlds?

Comment

newdeal

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2009

wonder if this has been in the works or if this will delay the MBP refreshes

Comment

nylonsteel

macrumors 65816
Nov 5, 2010
Alright boys - get your hardware engineers together - and crank out those hyper fast gpu designs - all 3 of you (aapl/nvda/intc) are only located within a few miles of each other - have your teams go out for drinks after work and talk over the new designs - asap

Comment

retroneo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2005
Comment

commander.data

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2006
Read the article correctly. The headline is wrong.

It doesn't say Intel Chips may contain Nvidia GPUs, it only says they Intel can use Nvidia's patents and technologies in their chips.
Yes exactly. Licensing underlying technologies and patents is quite different than licensing a completed IGP design whole. Besides, existing nVidia designs are no doubt suboptimal to be implemented on die and tied to a CPU and I don't think nVidia is going to devote engineering resources into optimizing their designs to work on Intel's CPU die when they are doing their own CPU-GPU integration project and I don't think Intel is going to want to give nVidia intimate access to future CPU designs and roadmaps to make such a collaboration work. With just technology and patents, Intel's own final product will probably look quite different than a nVidia GPU.

Comment

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
It means Intel gets to keep making their chips SLI-compatible. That's about it. Because nVidia knew they were shut out of the chipset market, and AMD isn't going to include SLI in their chipsets, since they have their own GPU department, so nVidia *HAD* to "get in bed" with Intel to continue SLI's existence.

It was a fight for Intel to include SLI in the X58 chipset. It was a fight for Intel to include SLI in the onboard controller in the Lynnfield processors; now SLI is pretty much guaranteed in future processors.

Comment

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
Hopefully Intel will make good IGPs now. I hope. :confused:

I wouldn't doubt Jobs made a call or two.

It would not surprise me at all.

Wow probably! Very interesting. Seems like a win for us all around and them, maybe more for Nvidia.

The future is going to be interesting with processing and "Project Denver" and moving from x86 etc.

Anyone else hear that this had effect on Sandy Bridge? The agreement specifically names it and somehow those graphics just got 20X faster than the previous version lol! Any correlation perhaps?

Comment

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Read the article correctly. The headline is wrong.

It doesn't say Intel Chips may contain Nvidia GPUs, it only says they Intel can use Nvidia's patents and technologies in their chips.

Nvidia had countersued Intel - protesting Intel's integrated graphics contain unlicensed Nvidia's technology already. This settlement is the answer.

http://arstechnica.com/hardware/news/2009/03/nvidia-countersues-intelright-on-schedule.ars

Exactly, the headline is misleading. Reading the ars piece, Intel is free to use nVidia patents and technology for its future IGPs, but it won't be nVidia that will be making them.

Bummer, the headline had me pumped up.

Also, Apple did not have a hand in this. Apple is not the only company in the industry. If they did, it would be included in the story. This was a logical conclusion to this lawsuit.

Comment

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
CA
Exactly, the headline is misleading. Reading the ars piece, Intel is free to use nVidia patents and technology for its future IGPs, but it won't be nVidia that will be making them.

Bummer, the headline had me pumped up.

Also, Apple did not have a hand in this. Apple is not the only company in the industry. If they did, it would be included in the story. This was a logical conclusion to this lawsuit.

Yeah, the scope of Nvidia doing Intel's IGPs would be HUGE. Nvidia would have to have access to Intel's foundry capabilities, which would put them a step ahead of TSMC and GloFo and give a huge edge over AMD/ATI (there's no way nvidia would agree to it without getting to use Intel foundries for their own discrete cards). It would literally rock the industry.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.