Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jasonefmonk

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2011
This is an almost incredible problem. 10 years of processors, from the most popular manufacturer. So many products running unsupported software will go without updates. So many more will see a significant performance hit. There’s not a lot of silver lining here.

At least now we know.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008

zahuh

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2004
Can someone confirm that my macbook pro speed will be slower as my battery degrades? Then, do we know if Apple is doing the same thing with iPhone's as it is with Macs (making them slower to save battery longevity)? Thank you

mistasopz

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2006
If this was a bad air bag, they would have to replace it?!

What a bizarre comparison. An airbag that flies out and saves a driver or passenger during a collision is not the same thing as a design flaw in a computer processor. As the article states, this will have to be patched at the OS level. Intel is no more capable of producing perfect chips than Apple is capable of producing bug-free software.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
What a bizarre comparison. An airbag that flies out and saves a driver or passenger during a collision is not the same thing as a design flaw in a computer processor. As the article states, this will have to be patched at the OS level. Intel is no more capable of producing perfect chips than Apple is capable of producing bug-free software.
But they should be capable of producing CPUs that don’t require the OS to be patched. Firmware patches, microcode patches, etc. are one thing. But requiring the OS to be patched is always a fail.

dlemmon

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2009
denver, co
So.... I can put up with a 30% slowdown (which includes an unwanted os upgrade), buy a new computer, or leave the venerability in place? This sucks.

Reactions: AdonisSMU

dantroline

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2016
An intel computer is used to store sensitive information, say, on police informants, or other vulnerable people. If it can be demonstrated that this flaw resulted in the deaths of those people (its not just a performance problem but a security one), then it's as big as an airbag issue. Just because computers don't have sharp edges or only sit on desks doesn't mean they can't hurt people.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Good thing for competition. I alternate between AMD and Intel with every system purchase. Fortunately, I'm on AMD and next system may very well be AMD (Threadripper) again.

Reactions: vmistery

Dorje Sylas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2011
Just another reason for Apple to finally start building their own desktop processors for the Mac line... :cool:

Until they also get caught goofing something at the lower level architecture. And unlike Microsoft I don't expect Apple to put out updates to vulnerable machines that are actually a decade old and can't run the latest (and also super buggy) macOS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.