Intel Discusses Mobile Nehalem. Quad Core Notebooks Coming Next Month.

fanbrain

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2005
So. UT
No. It's purpose was to slow the system down so you can run games that used loops to determine timing. Don't laugh, it wasn't always easy to use OS/Bios timers and a lot of people took the "execute 'n' statements in a loop" shortcut.

Press Turbo to run WordPerfect quickly. Turn Turbo off so you game wouldn't run at strange speeds.
I remember playing tanks without the turbo mode on. Instant response. I didn't have to wait for the jackhammer round to sail through the air. It was there as soon as you pressed fire. Ahh the days...

!¡ V ¡!

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007
well, we are concerned with the computers af this century, not next.:rolleyes:
We are but only at the infancy of this century and we are still tinkering with previous centuries technology. Get a move on Intel, AMD and the rest I rather not mention. ;):D

!¡ V ¡!

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007
I remember playing tanks without the turbo mode on. Instant response. I didn't have to wait for the jackhammer round to sail through the air. It was there as soon as you pressed fire. Ahh the days...
If my memory does not fail me, the turbo on those computer gave the user the options similar to Energy Saver Option in the System Preferences Panel to either cook your computer to run circles of data cycles or be on the safe and wait for your coffee to be prepared which a a task was eventually completed.

Ah the marvels of computing, what was once hardware is not translated to the software side. :D

!¡ V ¡!

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007
I wonder if the idea of a desktop computer is slowly being weeded out. For personal use I mean.
The desktop and workstation of present have more computing power then the servers a decade past. So yes a major leap has to happen for servers in-order to hold they market place when compared to consumer machines.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
I'm not holding my breath for high end stuff like a quad core in Apple's notebooks...although stranger things have happened and I'd love to be wrong (love a truly high-end notebook from them that ditches this 1" profile and is built to dissipate heat and really be pushed, has a high end GPU, etc.).

And regarding this "Turbo Mode", I thought Penryn already added the ability to shut down one core when not in use? Of course all my CPUs and GPUs are ALWAYS running full blast, because I run Folding at Home-and so should everything, darn it! :)

gnasher729

macrumors P6
Nov 25, 2005
Isn't the reason we have multiple cores because it's more efficient than what you're suggesting. They can make a quad core 2.2Ghz at 35W, but they can't make a dual core at 4.4Ghz at 35W.
if everything else is equal, power consumption grows with the square of the clock speed. So with identical technology, a single 4.4 GHz chip would take four times the power of a single 2.2 GHz chip; a dual 4.4 GHz chip would take twice the power of a quad 2.2 GHz, that is 70 Watt instead of 35. You could build 2 chips at 41.42% higher speed at the same power; but the quad chip would have 41 percent more performance at the same number of watts.

Nov 6, 2007
I wonder if the idea of a desktop computer is slowly being weeded out. For personal use I mean.

Well, most people buy laptops - because we are the on-the-go society. to me the only advantage of a desk top is:

dual screens
not having to unplug everything
Easier to upgrade yourself (even that is becoming less of an issue)
larger than 17'' screens
more internal drive space rather than having a bunch of drives hogging USB's. (But even with larger laptop drives coming out - that is even becoming a non-issue)

Plus, the power in today's laptop equals that of a desk top. Not like years ago when a laptop was barely functional and if you wanted to do any real apps, you needed the power of a desk top.

Besides, who personally really sits at a table or desk to do their computing anymore (for personal use). we are either outside, at starbucks, on the couch. the only time I sit at a table with my personal machine is when i am paying bills or doing taxes and I need room for the paperwork. The only other time I actually sit at a table or desk is for work.

Other than that my laptop is on the couch with me, at starbucks, over someone's home, outside on the porch, on the kitchen table, etc.

No one really goes off to a dedicated area in their home (well, unless you are hiding and looking at.......). Plus with a laptop, you don't need furniture taking up space just to hold it.

ChrisA

macrumors G4
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
The desktop and workstation of present have more computing power then the servers a decade past. So yes a major leap has to happen for servers in-order to hold they market place when compared to consumer machines.
What? The people who build servers have not stopped. Desk tops machine have not caught up. If you look at the Sun M8000. It is the first machine in the line of Sun enterprize class servers, the others are much larger. The M8000 has up to 32 PCIe slots, 16 quad core CPUs and 512GB of RAM. Some other neat features are that you can swap out parts like a CPU, RAM or a power supply without taking the system down. Failed parts can be replaced without any down time.

Here is a fun web site where you get to configure a system. Looks like Apple's web site where you can configure a Mac Pro. What's your credit card limit?
http://shop.sun.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/Sun_NorthAmerica-Sun_Store_US-Site/en_US/-/USD/ViewStandardCatalog-Browse?CategoryName=Sun_Fire_E25K&CategoryDomainName=Sun_NorthAmerica-Sun_Store_US-SunCatalog

morespce54

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2004
Around the World
Why even bother with Blu-Ray when Flash, Holographic and, Crystal(future) storage holds a magnitude of data, which makes Blu-Ray seem like a Floppy Disc. Blu-Ray is pointless, too many limitations on either the hardware or software side regarding encoding and decoding for the consumer and costly for the manufactures. :rolleyes:
I know you got the joke...
It's good for selling movies that you'll have to buy again later 'tho! ;)

Unless you can convert them... with a Blu-Ray drive...
OMG, that's the studios' evil plan to stop pirating. Sell movies on doomed media!!! ;):)

Nov 6, 2007
We are but only at the infancy of this century and we are still tinkering with previous centuries technology. Get a move on Intel, AMD and the rest I rather not mention. ;):D

I think you mean decades not centuries... You make it sound like computers have been around for over 100 years. :p but hey, you know why identity theft is so high in America. Because the banks are too cheap to move away from 1960's magnetic strip credit cards to cards that have a smart chip and require you to put in a pin for each debit and credit purchase. I hear in Europe they have this technology and Identity theft is way down.

Nov 6, 2007
What? The people who build servers have not stopped. Desk tops machine have not caught up. If you look at the Sun M8000. It is the first machine in the line of Sun enterprize class servers, the others are much larger. The M8000 has up to 32 PCIe slots, 16 quad core CPUs and 512GB of RAM. Some other neat features are that you can swap out parts like a CPU, RAM or a power supply without taking the system down. Failed parts can be replaced without any down time.

Here is a fun web site where you get to configure a system. Looks like Apple's web site where you can configure a Mac Pro. What's your credit card limit?
http://shop.sun.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/Sun_NorthAmerica-Sun_Store_US-Site/en_US/-/USD/ViewStandardCatalog-Browse?CategoryName=Sun_Fire_E25K&CategoryDomainName=Sun_NorthAmerica-Sun_Store_US-SunCatalog
Swap out or add memory/CPU's without taking the system down????? Dang..... Can it run windows Server??? :p man we need those for our SQL boxes.... I am forever asking a hospital to have down time to add more memory......

16 quad core CPUs and 512GB of RAM. - oh man, put that in a laptop and I would never need a machine again (nor a furnace for my home either :p)

Nov 6, 2007
I think you mean decades not centuries... You make it sound like computers have been around for over 100 years. :p but hey, you know why identity theft is so high in America. Because the banks are too cheap to move away from 1960's magnetic strip credit cards to cards that have a smart chip and require you to put in a pin for each debit and credit purchase. I hear in Europe they have this technology and Identity theft is way down.
Funny, I just post something about identity theft, then I go and look at CNN news and there is an acticle about it. Look at what they list as #5 for the way to protect yourself.

5. Thinking your Mac shields you from all risks

Yes, Macs are much less susceptible to viruses and spyware than PCs. But surveys show that may breed a false sense of security among Mac owners, who still fall prey to phishing scams at about the same rate as Windows users.

Until Apple beefs up Safari, Fox recommends using another browser with phishing protection, such as the latest version of Firefox.

THX1139

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2006
Trouble is, that argument can go on forever. If we're waiting for Nehalem, why not just wait a bit longer for the next bigger and better thing. ...

At least I'm hoping they do. My Tibook can hardly load websites anymore :(
I have never advocated for waiting until Nehalem next year! That would be ludicrous if you need a machine. I'm talking about the next incremental update that WILL take place BEFORE next year. The next bigger and better thing is only a month away if you go by Apples history. You do realize that the MBP hasn't been updated in 6 months? And the previous update to Santa Rosa is a year ago! What I'm going to do is wait until next month... a measly 30 days... to see what happens. I'm motivated not so much that I want the next best thing... but that the currently shipping MBPs are crap due to the video card issue. Sure they "might" be okay... but I prefer to not spend all that money on a time bomb.

By the way... if you're relying on a Tibook for your main computer, you are a classic example of someone who HAS waited too long to upgrade.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
Why even bother with Blu-Ray when Flash, Holographic and, Crystal(future) storage holds a magnitude of data, which makes Blu-Ray seem like a Floppy Disc. Blu-Ray is pointless, too many limitations on either the hardware or software side regarding encoding and decoding for the consumer and costly for the manufactures. :rolleyes:
This is a joke right?

EDIT: Nevermind. It was. As much as I'm excited about Blu-ray, it probably will be (at least) a year before we see them in Macs (and I'm only talking about the Mac Pro).

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I understand Nehalem won't do anything for gaming (it's Intel's answer to the server market and AMD's domination).

For more info, see here: http://www.anandtech.com/weblog/showpost.aspx?i=480
Correct. Nehalem is big for servers and workstations. For consumers web surfing, emailing, playing games and fiddling with music and photos, they won't notice a difference, except a smaller wallet. :D

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
Correct. Nehalem is big for servers and workstations. For consumers web surfing, emailing, playing games and fiddling with music and photos, they won't notice a difference, except a smaller wallet. :D
The advantages of Nehalem are greatest for the MP server area and least for the desktop and mobile areas.

n8236

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2006
OMG OMG OMG, I'm SO excited if this is true! I can finally run Snow Leopard w/ 2 cores and 2gbs of ram and the same w/ Fusion running Vista. It will be the ULTIMATE machine for me.

BigD58

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2008
North Carolina
Damn... hardware ages so fast. My 1 and so year old macbook will feel inadequate in not too long :(
Ha I totally agree! It makes me so sad because I always want the best machine but I can never keep up with technology. And plus i have the original 2.0Ghz Macbook (black).:(

zmonster

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2006
Plus, the power in today's laptop equals that of a desk top. Not like years ago when a laptop was barely functional and if you wanted to do any real apps, you needed the power of a desk top.
I don't quite agree with this. The MacPro desktops KILL the MacBook Pro laptops in performance mainly because the system bus and other data channels are much, much wider and faster. You can also get a much hotter/higher-cycle CPU into a desktop due to the better cooling. I think the 8-core Mac Pro is at LEAST 2x faster than the MacBook Pro (if not more).

I think this will be the case for quite a few years to come, too. I doubt we'll see laptop performance equal desktop until sometime in 2012. But yes, you're right, it will eventually happen.