Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
?They have a point about dongles, but this was not the right way to dunk on that.
As if there aren't any intel laptops with similar limitations either.

At work, I am using a HP Elitex2.

It comes with a USB-A and a USB-C port so guess what? I am bringing around an adaptor around with me that's fatter than the entire laptop anyways. Its specs means that it's going to be a poor choice for gaming anyways. The tablet form factor means lousy cooling (yay to my colleagues experiencing numerous issues of flickering and dying screens from excessive zooming last year), and battery life was poor at 2-3 hours.

Guess what process it runs? Intel.

Unless Intel is also disavowing a segment of the PC market that happens to draw design cues from Apple products, it seems pretty ironic that they are throwing shade at Apple for "limitations" found in the current PC lineup as well and basically throwing certain OEMs under the bus.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
As if there aren't any intel laptops with similar limitations either.

At work, I am using a HP Elitex2.

It comes with a USB-A and a USB-C port so guess what? I am bringing around an adaptor around with me that's fatter than the entire laptop anyways. Its specs means that it's going to be a poor choice for gaming anyways. The tablet form factor means lousy cooling (yay to my colleagues experiencing numerous issues of flickering and dying screens from excessive zooming last year), and battery life was poor at 2-3 hours.

Guess what process it runs? Intel.

Unless Intel is also disavowing a segment of the PC market that happens to draw design cues from Apple products, it seems pretty ironic that they are throwing shade at Apple for "limitations" found in the current PC lineup as well and basically throwing certain OEMs under the bus.
From my Apple perspective, the dongle element is a mess. Yes, I am aware that some W10 PC manufacturers limit ports too (and that’s a strong reason why I have not purchased an HP laptop.) It’s dumb all the way around.

Of all the things Intel was attempting to do here, the dongle dunk was the only one that had some validity. Sure, it ironically is cross platform shade.

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
These will age about as well as Samsung’s ads about headphone jacks and power adapters.
Some of us are still annoyed at the lack of a headphone port. Not everyone wants the latency/quality of bluetooth headphones, or be reliant on their batteries/charge.

Foggy82

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2017
Spain
Intel did not build these ad campaing trying to get people to switch from Mac to Windows.
A Mac user is infinetely more loyal to Apple then to Intel, it's a loose battle and that's why they can afford to ridicule who bought a Mac with Intel. Those have already understood M1 is a giant step ahead and will stay in Apple ecosystem, in vast majority. lost customers for intel that will not come back anyway.

What they are trying to do is to fight the switchers from Windows to Mac, so they reinforce the points Windows users already feels superior compared to Mac (dongles, touchscreen, etectera...). they create doubts and concern for people that is considering to buy a Macbook to replace a Windows laptop.
This is the real concern for Intel because earlier the "price" factor was easily comparable, having same chipsets in both world, and apple was definetely more expensive comparing the tech sheets. With M1 a MacBook became instantly cheap, even compared to Windows.

sittnick

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2008
Do you know how many YEARS Intel waited to get back at Apple for its old anti-Intel ads?

1617059896524.png

amgff84

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2019
Pretty sad on Intel's part. Intel has been using the same chip factory process size (14nm) since the iPhone 6 (Galaxy s5) and the market is leaving Intel behind because of Intel's executive choices, decisions and blunders in the past. Last years iPhone 12 uses a 5nm fab size (which is really around 7nm for Intel they measure slightly differently), but shows how the market has passed Intel here. Gamers going for higher end CPU's now want AMD's as a result of the performance hit Intel's CPU's take because of this as does the server market.

Apple is still a huge Intel customer...all their big money Mac's are Intel only at this point and to actively be stabbing a big customer in the back in public like this, says alot. Their new CEO from Qualcomm seems like a (insert colorful adjective of choice here), based on the choices he's been making since arrival at Intel.
I just sold my decade old Intel Extreme CPU with the Intel Motherboard that supports quad channel RAM, the CPU is comparable to a modern average Ryzen CPU with its 6 cores and 12 threads. Sure, the RAM isn't as fast, but its made up by the quad channel capability that the average Ryzen does not have. I like Ryzen, but the old Intels hold their own still. My current machine is an older Haswell Xeon and runs whatever just fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.