Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

104323-core_i5.jpg

DigiTimes reports that Intel is currently experiencing tight supply of its Core i3, i5, and i7 notebook chips introduced in January. Apple is expected to use several of the chips in a highly-anticipated refresh to its notebook lines.
Intel is giving priority to major clients, and second-tier and smaller notebook players have to wait much longer before receiving supply of the CPUs, the sources noted.
The report notes that Acer has placed a particularly large order for the chips in anticipation of upcoming increases in consumer demand. Not mentioned is where Apple might fall on Intel's priority list, although the company has traditionally received good access to Intel's products.

Apple's MacBook Pro and MacBook Air are due for updates, and numerous hints and rumors over the past few months have many Apple fans waiting anxiously for the updated models to appear.

Article Link: Intel Experiencing Shortages of Notebook Chips?

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
i guess no i cores for Apple. i thought apple would get them early since their computers usually come standard with faster versions of the chips which other manufacturers usually charge an upgrade price for

doomsdayblaze

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2010
i guess no i cores for Apple. i thought apple would get them early since their computers usually come standard with faster versions of the chips which other manufacturers usually charge an upgrade price for

But then what the heck is holding the refresh back :|

Long-time reader, first-time poster, all-time angry person waiting for a new MacBook Pro :)

twitchtwice

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2010
this could explain the delays in the refreshes. hopefully apple is able to purchase these chips soon for the update

zachplaysguitar

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2008
Richmond, VA
Is it common for companies as big as Intel to have a low supply of their newest and most popular product? I mean, wouldt they have forseen such high demand and taken steps to avoid it?

mflender

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2004
I recently ordered a macbook pro and 4 white macbooks for peeps at work. The order has now been delayed to ship March 26th. I hope this means the I7's are coming out next week. I will be ordering a laptop for myself if they are.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
You know, if all you MB-Pro people had all just bought one back when you needed it months ago you could have been enjoying a laptop for the last 5 or 6 months. Instead, you've been sitting around, laptopless, wondering what to do.

This is getting kind of funny now...I'm assuming you're all just posting from iPhones, getting madder and madder every day?

Rot'nApple

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2006
I DID build that!
Intel is giving priority to major clients, and second-tier and smaller notebook players have to wait much longer before receiving supply of the CPUs, the sources noted.

Since Apple's iPad uses Apple's own chip from their PA Semi acquisition instead of Intel's ATOM processors, did that cause Apple to be reduced to "second-tier and smaller notebook player" status in Intel eyes? I wonder, hmmm. :rolleyes:

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
Since Apple's iPad uses Apple's own chip from their PA Semi acquisition, did that cause Apple to be reduced to "second-tier and smaller notebook player" status in Intel eyes? I wonder, hmmm. :rolleyes:

less than 10% of the market, what do you think? especially after last year's Mac Pro release

jamesryanbell

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2009
I think it'd absurd that they're not out yet, but at the same time it's really funny........why you ask? Because I don't NEED one at the moment. Hence, hilarity ensues.

gfiz

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2009
Virginia
Apple just needs to buy AMD and be done with it. Then they'll at least become re-interested in their Mac line.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
Since Apple's iPad uses Apple's own chip from their PA Semi acquisition instead of Intel's ATOM processors, did that cause Apple to be reduced to "second-tier and smaller notebook player" status in Intel eyes? I wonder, hmmm. :rolleyes:

Do Intel make a suitable CPU for iPod / iPhone / iPad OS X?

The Atom is a x86 processor so that was never going to be used.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009

Actually I wouldn't be surprised if Apple has been developing their own chip and will be throwing everybody a curve ball for the next generation of MBP's.

Thus the delay?

macusersince5

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2010
Actually I wouldn't be surprised if Apple has been developing their own chip and will be throwing everybody a curve ball for the next generation of MBP's.

Thus the delay?

could be but i highly doubt it. The whole reason they bought PA semi was to create chips for ipod/iphone and now ipad because intel's atom chips didn't meet apple's battery requirements. I don't see apple building a custom chip for macbook pro. But steveo could be a sneaking sob and buy AMD. I could see them doing that but they probably won't.

mags631

Mar 6, 2007
Apple just needs to buy AMD and be done with it. Then they'll at least become re-interested in their Mac line.

Yeah, that's a great company to own. I think there would be more value in Steve stacking $6B worth of bills and lighting them on fire at the next company picnic.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Is it common for companies as big as Intel to have a low supply of their newest and most popular product? I mean, wouldt they have forseen such high demand and taken steps to avoid it?

It is very common in the chip industry for initial production
to start slowly, and then pick up as the "process" matures and
yields are higher.

It's been that way for quite some time, for example:

Notebooks to Recieve Upgrade in 2007?
September 7th, 2006 - 10.41 pm UTC
Written by: Alex Brooks

Yesterday the iMac became the first Apple product to use the brand
new Core 2 (Merom) processor from Intel.

It has been widely rumoured that Apple will upgrades it’s MacBook
and MacBook Pro product lines in the near future.

Today The Inquirer is reporting that due to Merom shortages Apple
won’t produce said products until 2007.

Apple won’t produce a laptop with Merom until 2007. The delay is
most likely due to a convergence of two things, production and
Apple’s limited range.

Although The Inquirer has been noticeably accurate recently, the
story does lack some credibility due to the iMac receiving Merom
and multiple other manufacturers touting Merom based notebooks.

http://news.worldofapple.com/archives/2006/09/07/

Val-kyrie

macrumors 68020
Feb 13, 2005
Yesterday's news. And anyway, I don't see this being a gating item for the MBP release. I'm sure Apple is aware of supply chain issues and wouldn't let this hold up at least announcing new products.

Unless this revision included something extraordinary like Blu-Ray drives and HDMI outputs, which I doubt, I would not expect a pre-announcement or even an announcement at all. Rather, like in the past, Apple will just quietly upgrade/update the MB(P)s when everything is ready. It could very well be that supply and/or the Intel-NVidia chipset fiasco could be the reason the MB(P)s are not updated yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.