Intel iBooks, iLife '06, New Remote?

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by MacRumors, Jan 10, 2006.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Kevin Rose posted on his blog last minute claims of what will be coming at Macworld San Francisco.

This includes a "15" Intel Macbook" which ships in February, an iPod FM receiver, iWork/iLife '06, New Remote, Photocasting via iPhoto and OS X 10.4.4 with new Widgets.

He claims to have had accurate information in the past, and also that these will be the new products released from Apple at Macworld.

Kevin Rose was co-host of G4 on Tech TV and later started Digg.com.

2. Super Dave macrumors 6502

Super Dave

What's a Macbook?

I don't know if Apple is really interested in competing with Griffin and everyone else for the FM transmitter market, it seems kinda greedy and it might alienate their 3rd party vendors.

Edit: Oops. Not FM transmitter…receiver.

An FM receiver might be cool. If I liked the radio.

David :cool:

3. Staffroomer macrumors member

4. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

so, no plasma... but interesting remote?

sounds realistic.

arn

5. TMA macrumors 6502a

TMA

Yes and it was quite lame! :p

I hope that isn't all we're too expect at this keynote, I'm hoping for a lot more. The iPod FM receiver sounds a bit flakey to me - Apple haven't been too hot on this idea before, but then they we're never hot on video capable iPods either.

6. Fotek2001 macrumors regular

It says receiver NOT transmitter... I think that *might* catch on...

7. Jesus macrumors 6502

I pray that this PowerBook is better than the last ones, I hope for a really thin form factor and Core Duo. I can't wait until 9 am/ 5pm (UK time)

8. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

Yeah it does I think at this point we know its gonna be a laptop with a yonah. Time to go find things around the house to sell on ebay. :)

9. dobbin macrumors 6502a

dobbin

He said FM receiver not transmitter, but I guess the same applies that it might annoy griffin etc.

I'd buy an FM receiver for my iPod if I saw one and it was small enough not to spoil the look and feel of my iPod.

We'll see soon enough if he's right..

10. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

I think the Macbook is just the new Intel PowerBook, considering it is dual-core. Although I find it hard to believe they will actually call it the MacBook, I was hoping for something like PowerBook Core (core is one of the names Intel is using for it's new cpus).

As for the FM transmitter

11. spine macrumors member

FM receiver for iPod? YAWN.

FM remote may be more inline with apple/front row.

12. rdas7 macrumors regular

rdas7

Makes sense to consolidate the iBook and PowerBook lines into one (with possibly 4 configurations? 12", 13", 15", 17"?)

and to shift the branding towards "Mac" (Power + Mac, i + Book?)

Sounds good! Thanks Kevin!

13. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

It makes sense to go w/ the 15" Powerbook as the first Intel machine, since that seems to be their most popular machine ever.

If Kevin Rose is as dead-on with this as he was with the video iPod, I have to wonder if he's not in Steve Jobs' back pocket somehow.

14. Martijn macrumors newbie

what about the ibooks? why would the introduce the intel powerbook first?

15. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

I wonder if the word "macbook" means (as some have spectulated) that apple is going to ditch the "consumer/pro" distinction in its laptops and just sell one laptop product line? Very interesting. I hope that there is still some form of 12" form factor, though-- I'll probably never get one any bigger than the current 12"; I think it is perfect.

16. JCT macrumors 6502

I still cannot imagine them leaving the Mini as it is --- it is obviously a prime candidate for an Intel pick-me-up.

I'm skeptical.

JT

17. Stella macrumors G3

Stella

If you've been sucked in by all the hype, this will probably disappoint you, but this list sounds more down to earth.

Why would Apple release an iPod FM receiver - the market is flooded with them?

What is Photocasting - just publishing your pics on the internet?

Lastly, Front Row - I imagine this will be shipped with any new ( consumer, not Pro ) Mac models.

18. Tussen69 macrumors regular

Possbile but...

I still prefer controling my MediaCenter a Mac Mini with FrontRow with my mobile phone (k750i SonyEricsson)... nothing comes close ... its a killer

19. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Sadly, I agree. But I'm hoping for that "one more thing" ...

20. Super Dave macrumors 6502

Super Dave

I disagree. There are…were two very distinct categories for the iBook and PowerBook. Some people want a 12" cheapest thing on the planet that runs OS X well, and some people want a 12" best processor you can squeeze in there.

So, having said that they could amalgamate the lines so long as the build to order options were extensive (which they never have been). The only problem is that it confuses the newbs who have to BTO a box or pick from an outrageous number of packages.

I don't buy it.

21. Super Dave macrumors 6502

Super Dave

If it's not an exhaustive list it does. I mean why mention "photocasting" with iPhoto and not iWeb?

Or for that matter why would Apple release a 15" portable, but no other sizes?

22. michael666 macrumors member

michael666

I think the new Macbook will replace both the iBook and PowerBook line. Recently, the difference was not too big anyway.

Macbook with single/dual core, 12/15/17 inch etc.

23. FocusAndEarnIt macrumors 601

FocusAndEarnIt

Hm, sounds like it might happen! If this happens, I'm so putting my iBook on eBay.

24. FocusAndEarnIt macrumors 601

FocusAndEarnIt

That will NEVER happen.

25. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

There's going to be plenty of disappointed people if this is true. Intel MacBook sounds like a consolidation of the laptop lines. I can't see a Core Duo iBook while the PowerBook languishes for another 3-6 months?

Here's to the Crazy Ones [​IMG]