Intel iBooks, iLife '06, New Remote?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Kevin Rose posted on his blog last minute claims of what will be coming at Macworld San Francisco.

This includes a "15" Intel Macbook" which ships in February, an iPod FM receiver, iWork/iLife '06, New Remote, Photocasting via iPhoto and OS X 10.4.4 with new Widgets.

He claims to have had accurate information in the past, and also that these will be the new products released from Apple at Macworld.

Kevin Rose was co-host of G4 on Tech TV and later started Digg.com.

Super Dave

macrumors 6502
What's a Macbook?

I don't know if Apple is really interested in competing with Griffin and everyone else for the FM transmitter market, it seems kinda greedy and it might alienate their 3rd party vendors.

Edit: Oops. Not FM transmitter…receiver.

An FM receiver might be cool. If I liked the radio.

David :cool:

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
so, no plasma... but interesting remote?

sounds realistic.

arn

TMA

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2003
England
Super Dave said:
first post.
Yes and it was quite lame! :p

I hope that isn't all we're too expect at this keynote, I'm hoping for a lot more. The iPod FM receiver sounds a bit flakey to me - Apple haven't been too hot on this idea before, but then they we're never hot on video capable iPods either.

Fotek2001

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2005
London, England
Super Dave said:
What's a Macbook?

I don't know if Apple is really interested in competing with Griffin and everyone else for the FM transmitter market, it seems kinda greedy and it might alienate their 3rd party vendors.
It says receiver NOT transmitter... I think that *might* catch on...

AoWolf

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2003
Daytona Beach
arn said:
so, no plasma... but interesting remote?

sounds realistic.

arn

Yeah it does I think at this point we know its gonna be a laptop with a yonah. Time to go find things around the house to sell on ebay. :)

dobbin

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2002
England
Super Dave said:
He said FM receiver not transmitter, but I guess the same applies that it might annoy griffin etc.

I'd buy an FM receiver for my iPod if I saw one and it was small enough not to spoil the look and feel of my iPod.

We'll see soon enough if he's right..

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
Super Dave said:
What's a Macbook?

David
I think the Macbook is just the new Intel PowerBook, considering it is dual-core. Although I find it hard to believe they will actually call it the MacBook, I was hoping for something like PowerBook Core (core is one of the names Intel is using for it's new cpus).

As for the FM transmitter

rdas7

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2002
London, England
Super Dave said:
What's a Macbook?
Makes sense to consolidate the iBook and PowerBook lines into one (with possibly 4 configurations? 12", 13", 15", 17"?)

and to shift the branding towards "Mac" (Power + Mac, i + Book?)

Sounds good! Thanks Kevin!

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
It makes sense to go w/ the 15" Powerbook as the first Intel machine, since that seems to be their most popular machine ever.

If Kevin Rose is as dead-on with this as he was with the video iPod, I have to wonder if he's not in Steve Jobs' back pocket somehow.

rosalindavenue

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2003
Virginia, USA
I wonder if the word "macbook" means (as some have spectulated) that apple is going to ditch the "consumer/pro" distinction in its laptops and just sell one laptop product line? Very interesting. I hope that there is still some form of 12" form factor, though-- I'll probably never get one any bigger than the current 12"; I think it is perfect.

JCT

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2004
Tucson, AZ
I still cannot imagine them leaving the Mini as it is --- it is obviously a prime candidate for an Intel pick-me-up.

I'm skeptical.

JT

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
If you've been sucked in by all the hype, this will probably disappoint you, but this list sounds more down to earth.

Why would Apple release an iPod FM receiver - the market is flooded with them?

What is Photocasting - just publishing your pics on the internet?

Lastly, Front Row - I imagine this will be shipped with any new ( consumer, not Pro ) Mac models.

Tussen69

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2006
Possbile but...

I still prefer controling my MediaCenter a Mac Mini with FrontRow with my mobile phone (k750i SonyEricsson)... nothing comes close ... its a killer

Super Dave

macrumors 6502
rdas7 said:
Makes sense to consolidate the iBook and PowerBook lines into one (with possibly 4 configurations? 12", 13", 15", 17"?)

and to shift the branding towards "Mac" (Power + Mac, i + Book?)

Sounds good! Thanks Kevin!
I disagree. There are…were two very distinct categories for the iBook and PowerBook. Some people want a 12" cheapest thing on the planet that runs OS X well, and some people want a 12" best processor you can squeeze in there.

So, having said that they could amalgamate the lines so long as the build to order options were extensive (which they never have been). The only problem is that it confuses the newbs who have to BTO a box or pick from an outrageous number of packages.

I don't buy it.

David :cool:

michael666

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2003
in front of a computer
hvfsl said:
I think the Macbook is just the new Intel PowerBook, considering it is dual-core. Although I find it hard to believe they will actually call it the MacBook, I was hoping for something like PowerBook Core (core is one of the names Intel is using for it's new cpus).
I think the new Macbook will replace both the iBook and PowerBook line. Recently, the difference was not too big anyway.

Macbook with single/dual core, 12/15/17 inch etc.

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
michael666 said:
I think the new Macbook will replace both the iBook and PowerBook line. Recently, the difference was not too big anyway.

Macbook with single/dual core, 12/15/17 inch etc.
That will NEVER happen.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
There's going to be plenty of disappointed people if this is true. Intel MacBook sounds like a consolidation of the laptop lines. I can't see a Core Duo iBook while the PowerBook languishes for another 3-6 months?

Here's to the Crazy Ones