Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

diannao

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2010
The article on Haswell is interesting because it at least gives people some information so they can decide about sticking with what they have, buying something now, or buying an Ivy Bridge system when those are available. It sounds like Haswell will be a big change, compared with Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge differences.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Near impossible. I believe in Moore's law up to a specific point as with current materials we will never break the 4Ghz barrier at an efficient level. Dry ice cooling in an over-clocked i7 does not count as efficient.

Engadget has an article about how AMD has broken the over clock record @~8.5GHz. Intel and AMD can do 4GHz on air now. They just choose not to.

iAppleseed

macrumors regular
May 11, 2011
I want it to have 6 cores and I need two of them on a MacBook Air. I'll pay anything to have that. :D

mrelwood

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2010
Near impossible. I believe in Moore's law up to a specific point as with current materials we will never break the 4Ghz barrier at an efficient level. Dry ice cooling in an over-clocked i7 does not count as efficient.

Is this the same as the limit of 20mph which a person can't exceed without dying?

Great commenting there, Sofabutt! Keep up the in-depth analysis!

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
More like "Hasbeen."

ARM is the future, and Intel knows this. In fact they're quite desperate to dispel this notion.
I would not be so quick to write off the low power usage intel offerings. I think at the moment it;s anyone's game. Neither intel or ARM are the perfect solution. But both are racing to get the lead in the low power cpu market. And it'll be interesting see how this race shapes up.

SockRolid

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2010
Almost Rock Solid
Intel finally "gets it." Microsoft doesn't.

Re: ..."compete head-to-head with the efficiency of the ARM chips"...

Intel just might be able to turn the ship around. They've blown it in the mobile space so far, since they're so focused on complex, power-hungry, expensive legacy x86 designs. Apple told them Atom sucked, they didn't listen, and Intel has all but lost the mobile market to ARM-based designs. At least Intel is showing some signs of progress.

On the other hand, Microsoft is steaming full speed ahead over the waterfall. Their approach to Windows / Office / Exchange is "add features," not "make the experience better." Ballmer is deathly afraid of messing with Windows and its installed base software. Exactly the same way Gates was deathly afraid of messing with DOS and its installed base of software.

And what did Gates do? He left DOS as-is and built Windows on top of it as a heavy GUI layer. And now Ballmer is doing the same thing. He's ordered his minions to layer Metro on top of Windows 7, and he'll call the whole mess Windows 8.

But that's only on the desktop. In the mobile space there won't be any "XP Compatibility Mode" for users who want to run Windows apps. Not if they're running ARM-based Windows tablets. So it won't really be "Windows 8 Tablet," will it? It'll be an all-new experience. Which means zero leverage from existing Windows customers. Zero leverage from Windows lock-in. No captive, co-dependent market to sell into.

And, worst of all, the typical "replace my PC after it either dies or gets too clogged with malware" cycle is broken. There's no upgrade path from Windows 7 to Windows 8 Tablet. No excuse to buy a Windows 8 Tablet instead of an iPad. And that's fatal.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Re: ..."compete head-to-head with the efficiency of the ARM chips"...

Intel just might be able to turn the ship around. They've blown it in the mobile space so far, since they're so focused on complex, power-hungry, expensive legacy x86 designs. Apple told them Atom sucked, they didn't listen, and Intel has all but lost the mobile market to ARM-based designs. At least Intel is showing some signs of progress.

On the other hand, Microsoft is steaming full speed ahead over the waterfall. Their approach to Windows / Office / Exchange is "add features," not "make the experience better." Ballmer is deathly afraid of messing with Windows and its installed base software. Exactly the same way Gates was deathly afraid of messing with DOS and its installed base of software.

And what did Gates do? He left DOS as-is and built Windows on top of it as a heavy GUI layer. And now Ballmer is doing the same thing. He's ordered his minions to layer Metro on top of Windows 7, and he'll call the whole mess Windows 8.

But that's only on the desktop. In the mobile space there won't be any "XP Compatibility Mode" for users who want to run Windows apps. Not if they're running ARM-based Windows tablets. So it won't really be "Windows 8 Tablet," will it? It'll be an all-new experience. Which means zero leverage from existing Windows customers. Zero leverage from Windows lock-in. No captive, co-dependent market to sell into.

And, worst of all, the typical "replace my PC after it either dies or gets too clogged with malware" cycle is broken. There's no upgrade path from Windows 7 to Windows 8 Tablet. No excuse to buy a Windows 8 Tablet instead of an iPad. And that's fatal.

You are leaving a ton out. Windows NT was not built on top of dos, and it was a completely new OS. Theres a bunch of other points but obviously you'll just ignore them anyway.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
In the mobile space there won't be any "XP Compatibility Mode" for users who want to run Windows apps. Not if they're running ARM-based Windows tablets. So it won't really be "Windows 8 Tablet," will it? It'll be an all-new experience. Which means zero leverage from existing Windows customers. Zero leverage from Windows lock-in.

You're forgetting about the trump card - source compatibility.

Microsoft is all about developer tools and frameworks - and they'll make sure that building an x64 version of your app for your desktop and an ARM version for a minimal tablet isn't as difficult as when the turtlenecked overlord said "just check the box" to make a fat binary for both PPC and x86/x64.

And for the user, that means that applications on the desktop work seamlessly with tablet/phone applications - and that's far from fatal.

You are leaving a ton out. Windows NT was not built on top of dos, and it was a completely new OS. Theres a bunch of other points but obviously you'll just ignore them anyway.

Yes, the Apple fans who've said "Windows needs a complete rewrite" don't realize that it has already happened.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Engadget has an article about how AMD has broken the over clock record @~8.5GHz. Intel and AMD can do 4GHz on air now. They just choose not to.

Lot's of guys are overclocking the i7 2500K and 2600K Sandy Bridge processors to 4.5GHz and more on air. With a simple water cooling setup you can get around 5GHz. Check out overclock.net or xtremesystems.org for more details.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
Is it just me or does that lab coat just look ridiculous? Is that what he wears in the office?

If you are working in a First Silicon prototype lab powering up and running die on open faced packaging, you better damn well have that and a face cover.

Some first silicon dies have been known to "become an expensive fuse" and blow on unanticipated power cycles. That can make small glass shard shrapnel. Many first silicons are powered up in counter top clean boxes if you can fit the whole application in one. A lot of these low power chips are very intolerant to power surges if the isolation is not designed right.

Yes, I have been around that. And wore a lab coat so various solvents and glues don't get on your clothes.

winterspan

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2007
ARM chips don't compare with Intel's processors

well Apple's ARM based chips are their lower designs, ARM's upper class chips (like ARM 11 I believe) is a Server Chip able to compete with Intel's best chips. Of course the ones on the iPhone, iPad, and iTouch are not as powerful as the i7.

??

1) The ARM11 core is OLD (used in the original iPhone and iPhone 3G). The latest and greatest ARM core (as in actually available in products) is the Cortex-A9 as seen in the Apple A5/iPad2 (along with TI OMAP4, Nvidia Tegra 2, Qualcomm Dual-core Snapdragon, etc)

2) The next-generation ARM architecture -- the Cortex-A15 -- doesn't even come close to a 2006-era Intel Core 2 Duo in performance, saying nothing about the current "Sandy Bridge" chips in new Macs.

BTW, I'm not discounting ARM processors, they are great for what they do, and they make Intel look like amateur hour for performance per watt. But they are not in the same league as normal PC CPUs... At least at this point

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.