Intel Teams Up With AMD for New 8th-Generation Processors With AMD GPUs

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 6, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Longtime rivals Intel and AMD are joining forces to produce new 8th-Generation H-Series Intel mobile processors paired with stacked second-generation High Bandwidth Memory and custom-built discrete graphics from AMD, Intel announced today.

[​IMG]
    For the new H-Series chips, which feature all of the above listed components in a single processor package, Intel says is using its Embedded Multi-Die Interconnect Bridge (EMIB), a power-sharing framework that reduces the standard silicon footprint to less than half that of standard discrete components on a motherboard.
    Intel has also developed unique software drivers and interfaces for the discrete GPU to coordinate information among all package elements, managing temperature and power delivery along with allowing system designers to optimize the power sharing between processor and graphics for specific tasks like performance gaming.

Through this collaboration, Intel and AMD are aiming to create a chip that will enable thinner, lighter, more powerful mobile devices through a better combination of performance-level processors and discrete graphics in a smaller form factor. The end goal is to create laptops that are thin and portable, but still powerful enough to handle serious gaming and other GPU intensive tasks.

The partnership will allow AMD and Intel to better compete with Nvidia in the high-end laptop/compact desktop market.

There are, however, still a lot of unknowns about the chip, and Intel says more information will be available in the future. The first machines that use the new technology will be released in the first quarter of 2018.

Article Link: Intel Teams Up With AMD for New 8th-Generation Processors With AMD GPUs

2. Appleaker macrumors 68020

So the rumors were true! This is brilliant although might not be ideal for the 15" as we could end up a (shorter lived) Mac Pro situation. But the architecture is perfect for the 13" MBP if/when it comes to U-series chips.

3. Kevin2055 macrumors member

4. Madd the Sane macrumors 6502a

Madd the Sane

I've just checked: Pigs aren't flying yet, but they have grown wings.

5. Ries macrumors 68020

Macbook Pro, 6 core, 10nm, 16/32GB HBM2 with vega coming summer 2018.

6. hoon2999, Nov 6, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2017

hoon2999 macrumors regular

No way! This is like Apple working with Microsoft to make Window version of Macbook!!
    Macbook Vista perhaps?

7. andreiru macrumors 6502

andreiru

Just as we thought we've reached a plateau... Revolutionary ;)

8. chucker23n1 macrumors 68010

chucker23n1

FWIW, these things appear to be Kaby Lake (not Coffee Lake), and four-core. "8th-generation" because Intel's marketing department likes to be confusing.

So they're not Coffee Lake, much less Cannon Lake. They're not six-core. They don't have LPDDR4.

Still, this is probably something Apple has been hoping for. Since Iris Pro appears to be dead, my guess is Apple had no choice but to make the Touch Bar MacBook Pros all dedicated GPU configurations (unlike the Retina ones). Now, they can go back to integrated-only configurations, which will improve battery life and reduce the price tag.

9. mi7chy macrumors 603

mi7chy

Wow, nice. Hope Microsoft follows with Surface line.

10. CanadianGuy macrumors member

CanadianGuy

...dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

11. chucker23n1 macrumors 68010

chucker23n1

This generation will be four-core, not six-core. The HBM memory is also only for the GPU, not the CPU.

Maybe six-core in late 2018.

12. Delgibbons macrumors 6502a

Delgibbons

13. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Intel is doing this because they know what Apple is doing.

14. chucker23n1 macrumors 68010

chucker23n1

They don't currently have any 45W CPU Surface options, as far as I know?

15. djcerla macrumors 68000

djcerla

Decision to join forces was taken in 5 minutes after the A11 benchmarks got published.

16. Zwhaler macrumors 604

Zwhaler

If it's not a fat, powerful GPU for professional applications that competes with the likes of Nvidia 1080 GTX Ti & Kepler, than I'm not really interested. I'm glad they are making these advancements which will help baseline and mid-tier consumer-grade computers, but I am still waiting for Apple to pack some punch in a recent desktop release. The iMac Pro is coming soon, but I'm more interested in the upcoming Mac Pro for sure.

17. Delgibbons macrumors 6502a

Delgibbons

Exact same thought :D

18. spiddyman007 macrumors regular

spiddyman007

finally, this is true innovation that capitalism gets you. thank God i waited on getting a gaming laptop, now i just need to start saving up

19. chucker23n1 macrumors 68010

chucker23n1

This is a 45W CPU. Desktops are a completely different matter.

20. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

Translated in real world speak: Maybe late 2018, possibly sometime in 2019, could be never. Cuz Intel timelines are just general approximations of "we might do it".

21. Michael Scrip macrumors 603

Dammit! You beat me to it!

:p

22. dragoon2745 macrumors newbie

dragoon2745

I keep checking the date but every time I look it's not April...

23. chleuasme macrumors 6502

Would be perfect for a non-TB rMBP15, to replace the aging entry model at $2K.

24. chucker23n1 macrumors 68010

chucker23n1

It'd still be limited to four cores and 16 Gigs of RAM, mind you.

25. spiddyman007 macrumors regular

spiddyman007

thats really cool and all but lemme guess, bootcamp support from apple, AMD, and microsoft will still not faster than a barefoot jackrabbit on a hot greasy griddle in the middle of August