Intel to Ship Dual-Core Sandy Bridge CPUs on February 20th

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Intel is planning on shipping the Dual-Core Sandy Bridge chips for laptops starting on February 20th, 2011.
The first Sandy Bridge processors to ship were quad-core chips, mainly for high-end laptops. The dual-core chips will likely go into end-user and ultraportable laptops, many of which were shown at last month's Consumer Electronics Show. Fujitsu said it plans to use dual-core Core i7 chips in its high-end ultraportable laptops.
The Dual-Core chips are likely upgrades for the existing MacBook Pro line which is due for updates. The Sandy-Bridge CPUs were described as the next generation replacement CPU with significantly improved integrated graphics performance and better performance/power ratios.

The remaining question is how the "design flaw" found in some of the early Sandy Bridge controllers will ultimately affect the production and availability of these new chips. The issue didn't directly affect the CPUs, but affected SATA-II connectors found on the chipsets. Like other computer manufacturers, Apple uses Intel's chipsets to interconnect their CPUs to the rest of the computer. Intel has announced that they would begin shipping fixed chipsets by mid-February.

Article Link: Intel to Ship Dual-Core Sandy Bridge CPUs on February 20th

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
Yes yes yes! It is here, the new die is fixed. Joy to the world!

Last edited by a moderator:

monstermac77

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2007
What does this mean for the prospective Macbook Pro release? Is Intel's estimate before or after what was previously expected?

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
Hoping for Sata III and SSD + HDD options. Light peak Or USB 3.0 would be icing on the cake :)

However I have feeling it's just going to be a CPU and graphics update...

smsz

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2005
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I just cancelled my not-yet-shipped MacBook Air purchase I made over the weekend.

Fingers crossed for something soon!

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I just cancelled my not-yet-shipped MacBook Air purchase I made over the weekend.

Fingers crossed for something soon!
I dont think the air is getting an update anytime soon. It just got one.

bass-freq

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2010
Orion Arm, Gould Belt
What does this mean for the prospective Macbook Pro release? Is Intel's estimate before or after what was previously expected?
We've known when the chips were coming for some time. The earlier news that some controllers were botched made people think that the release might be pushed back, and I don't really see anything here to say that particular situation is improved. However, my hunch is that the controller problem will just affect supply at the start of any impending release.

Apple has probably had the release window for these laptops plotted out some time ago. They're not going to want to move it out too far, so it messes up their timetable for other product releases.

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
The flaw is in the chipset, in which four of the six SATA controllers could go bad over time.

It has been speculated that this won't have any impact on Apple's portable line, as currently they only use two of these controllers, the HDD/SSD and the Superdrive. They could, in theory, use the two good ones. That's what I've read, anyway.

So I'm looking to upgrade my Macbook Pro later this summer when Lion comes out. What are the chances that an Ivy Bridge (successor to Sandy Bridge) chip would come out by say autumn with a quad-core processor for the Macbook Pro line? Are the TDP going to be low enough with the die shrink in the next models to allow for quad-core chips? I really want a machine that can really power through high-end Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, and Premiere Pro work. I'd also appreciate an IPS display around 1080p for the 15" model! My iPad and iPhone 4 have IPS displays for cripes sake!

BC2009

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2009
So, just trying to make a short list of what we can expect from Apple this year....

1) MacBook Pro Update (Sandy Bridge)
2) iPad 2
3) Lion
4) iWork '11
5) iPhone-5 / iOS 5
6) iMac Update?
7) Quad-Core MBP with Ivy Bridge?
8) Improved MobileMe
9) Other Data Center Surprises
10) New iPods

Anything I am missing?

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
Hoping for Sata III and SSD + HDD options. Light peak Or USB 3.0 would be icing on the cake :)

However I have feeling it's just going to be a CPU and graphics update...
I don't think this supports SATA III? SSD + HDD options seem viable, especially given the move away from disc-based media lately. I could see them coming stock with SSD on the Pro models with a BTO HDD. Although they could very likely just use the extra space to slim the machine down and/or add battery capacity.

Light peak isn't very close to being ready yet. Doubt we will see much from that until next year.

USB 3.0, I believe, was removed from Sandy Bridge at the last minute by Intel, and for sure will be included in Ivy Bridge (I believe they confirmed it recently), which is another reason I am considering waiting for that refresh. If they don't offer a BTO HDD add-on, then I will likely purchase a 1tb 2.5" USB 3.0 drive to keep in my bag. Apple would have to add a third-party USB 3.0 controller to get it to work, which goes against their thin philosophy and also increases price.

asdf542

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2010
So I'm looking to upgrade my Macbook Pro later this summer when Lion comes out. What are the chances that an Ivy Bridge (successor to Sandy Bridge) chip would come out by say autumn with a quad-core processor for the Macbook Pro line? Are the TDP going to be low enough with the die shrink in the next models to allow for quad-core chips? I really want a machine that can really power through high-end Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, and Premiere Pro work. I'd also appreciate an IPS display around 1080p for the 15" model! My iPad and iPhone 4 have IPS displays for cripes sake!
Ivy Bridge will almost definitely introduce a 35W quad core thanks to the die shrink. The question is when Intel will plan to release (currently looking like late 2011, early 2012) and when Apple will choose to update the next time. If you aren't willing to wait about a year then I'd say pull the trigger on Sandy Bridge.

Last edited:

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
Ivy Bridge will almost definitely introduce a 35W quad core thanks to the die shrink. The question is when Intel will plan to release (currently looking like late 2011, early 2012) and when Apple will choose to update the next time. If you aren't willing to wait about a year then I'd say pull the trigger now.
I found the article I had read a few days ago about Ivy Bridge from HardMac. I would assume that if they release these around October that we would see an upgrade before Christmas? This article also confirms the USB 3.0 on board. The quad-core Ivy Bridge chips are going to scream in the MBP!

While Intel is in the middle of a mini crisis with the Sandy bridge after the recall of all the Cougar Point chipsets which blocks the production of all Sandy bridge computers, we are getting more and more details about the architecture that will replace it, codenamed Ivy Bridge.

* Raw performances of the Ivy Bridge will be 20% higher than the ones of the Sandy Bridge.
* The graphics solution will be 30% faster, will support DirectX 11 and Open CL 1.1. It will support up to 3 displays, HDMI 1.4, but not DisplayPort 1.2 as only the 1.1 version will be supported.
* Finally USB 3.0 will be natively supported with 4 compatible ports, and of course SATA III and PCI-Express 2.0.

Given the problems of the Sandy Bridge, it is probable that many careful customers and not in a hurry will wait for that new architecture, which will arrive only 8 to 9 months after the Sandy Bridge.

neko girl

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2011
@arn, Sandy Bridge is the code name for Intel's processor. This part does not have the flaw. The part with the flaw is Intel's 6 Series Chipset (specifically P67/H67 parts code named Cougar Point). "Sandy Bridge controller" is an incorrect reference.

The remaining question is how the "design flaw" found in some of the early Sandy Bridge controllers will ultimately affect the production and availability of these new chips. The issue didn't directly affect the CPUs, but affected SATA-II connectors found on the chipsets. Like other computer manufacturers, Apple uses Intel's chipsets to interconnect their CPUs to the rest of the computer.
Edit: I edited my post to remove any language that seemed rude to me when I proof-read it.

asdf542

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2010
I found the article I had read a few days ago about Ivy Bridge from HardMac. I would assume that if they release these around October that we would see an upgrade before Christmas? This article also confirms the USB 3.0 on board. The quad-core Ivy Bridge chips are going to scream in the MBP!
This article states late 2011/early 2012 but it's pretty much all speculation at this point.

It's certainly possible though that we might see an update before Christmas. This is honestly reminding me a lot of the 2009 iMac refreshes. The early 2009 iMac got a small performance boost in March then in October/November of 2009 they released the quad core iMac with a tremendous performance improvement.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001

I think the meaning is clear, and I mentioned it's not a flaw in the CPU.

The anandtech article you referenced calls it the SATA Controller

"Intel just announced that it has identified a bug in the 6-series chipset, specifically in its SATA controller"

I guess more precise would be the SATA controller for the sandy bridge chipset.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
It's certainly possible though that we might see an update before Christmas. This is honestly reminding me a lot of the 2009 iMac refreshes. The early 2009 iMac got a small performance boost in March then in October/November of 2009 they released the quad core iMac with a tremendous performance improvement.
Usually, they're after the "Back To School" specials... ;)

intelgrande

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2010
@arn, Sandy Bridge is the code name for Intel's processor. This part does not have the flaw. The part with the flaw is Intel's 6 Series Chipset (specifically P67/H67 parts code named Cougar Point). "Sandy Bridge controller" is an incorrect reference.
I don't understand what you're saying. Ok, great, Sandy Bridge is the CPU. What do you call its chipset then? How is "Sandy Bridge controller" or "Sandy Bridge chipset" incorrect? The affected chipsets are the only ones that currently support Sandy Bridge. Most people don't have a clue that Cougar Point is the chipset... utilized by Sandy Bridge.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
I don't understand what you're saying. Ok, great, Sandy Bridge is the CPU. What do you call its chipset then? How is "Sandy Bridge controller" or "Sandy Bridge chipset" incorrect? The affected chipsets are the only ones that currently support Sandy Bridge. Most people don't have a clue that Cougar Point is the chipset... utilized by Sandy Bridge.
Agreed. If someone reading this gets confused when they come across the phrase "sandy bridge controller" they certainly won't know what cougar point is. Though I suppose you could say "Intel 6 series chipset" which would probably be the best reference IMO.

jmw1480

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2010

So the million dollar question is, as always: when should I buy? I’m currently have a Quicksilver G4 desktop and PowerBook G4 laptop, so anything new is going to be amazing. I'm planning on replacing the desktop first, tentatively with the next iMac. But I'm not opposed to a MBP if it'll get the bigger / better update.

So are their multiple SB chip possibilities? Dual? Quad? What exactly is "high-end" and "end-user"? Is the difference going to be major? And with the next series of chips rumored to be so quick to follow, what's that jump going to look like?

I know you can end up waiting forever for the next best thing, but this is looking like a more volatile year than normal.

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
I don't think this supports SATA III? SSD + HDD options seem viable, especially given the move away from disc-based media lately. I could see them coming stock with SSD on the Pro models with a BTO HDD. Although they could very likely just use the extra space to slim the machine down and/or add battery capacity.

Light peak isn't very close to being ready yet. Doubt we will see much from that until next year.

USB 3.0, I believe, was removed from Sandy Bridge at the last minute by Intel, and for sure will be included in Ivy Bridge (I believe they confirmed it recently), which is another reason I am considering waiting for that refresh. If they don't offer a BTO HDD add-on, then I will likely purchase a 1tb 2.5" USB 3.0 drive to keep in my bag. Apple would have to add a third-party USB 3.0 controller to get it to work, which goes against their thin philosophy and also increases price.

I think I'll hold off then until Ivy Bridge. My current 2006 core 2 duo laptop will probably make it to that launch anyways.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.