Intel Unveils Next-Generation 'Sunny Cove' Processors and Graphics Appropriate for 2019 Macs

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Intel today introduced Sunny Cove, its next-generation processor microarchitecture designed to increase performance and power efficiency.

Sunny Cove microarchitecture, built on a 10nm process, will be the basis for Intel's next-generation Core and Xeon processors later next year according to the company, making them appropriate for potential 2019 models of the MacBook, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, iMac, iMac Pro, Mac Pro, and Mac mini.

Intel also unveiled new Gen11 integrated graphics with up to double the performance of its Gen9 graphics paired with Skylake-based processors. Gen11 graphics will support 4K video streams and 8K content creation in constrained power situations and feature Intel's Adaptive Sync technology for smoother gaming.

Intel did not provide a comparison of Gen11 and Gen10 graphics, paired with Cannon Lake-based processors.

For those who are ever-confused by Intel's roadmap, it is believed that Sunny Cove processors paired with Gen11 graphics will be called Ice Lake, which succeeds Coffee Lake, Whiskey Lake, Amber Lake, and Cannon Lake.

Intel reaffirmed its plan to introduce a discrete graphics processor by 2020, providing Apple with another option beyond its current provider AMD and former provider Nvidia for future MacBook Pro, iMac, iMac Pro, and Mac Pro models.

Intel has essentially been iterating on its Skylake microarchitecture since 2015, so it is refreshing that the chipmaker is finally moving on to something new. But with rumors of Macs switching to custom ARM-based processors as early as 2020, it might not be long after Sunny Cove that Apple moves on too.

Article Link: Intel Unveils Next-Generation 'Sunny Cove' Processors and Graphics Appropriate for 2019 Macs

Reactions: RandomDSdevel

cppguy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2009
SF Bay Area, California
If they create an ARM-based Mac, it'll probably be an ultrabook. I seriously doubt their Pro models will go ARM, because there's no software for it yet. It must be a gradual process, because we have to wait for Adobe, AutoDesk, VMware and others to rebuild their software for ARM. Not to mention running a Windows VM. Although Microsoft is moving to ARM as well. But they have the same problem, app compatibility. The whole benefit of Windows is that it can run everything, even games from 1994.

chucker23n1

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2014
I'm completely lost with Intel's roadmap. So many delays, changes etc. So what is the great CPU we are all waiting for? Wasn't 10nm meant to be flawed?
Depends on what you're looking for.

It looks like they've rebranded Ice Lake to Sunny Cove.

This should finally give us LPDDR4, which was originally supposed to happen with Cannon Lake, which more or less never shipped. So while Apple eventually moved to DDR4 (rather than LPDDR) for the 15-inch MacBook Pro, meaning they could offer 32 GB but at the cost of reduced battery life, this next generation (to come out later 2019, if even that) will bring 32 or perhaps even 64 GB on LPDDR.

Other than that, we'll see how much bigger single-core gets. Multi-core isn't really an issue; Apple could ship iMacs with Coffee Lake, which would move them to six cores, or with Coffee Lake R, which would give them eight, even.

iMi

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2014
What a difference a name makes! As long as the die shrink was called "Ice Lake," it was frozen in place. But now that it's "Sunny Cove...."
...Hmm, "Sunny Cover" sounds like it will have some heat issues. :D
[doublepost=1544645382][/doublepost]
Depends on what you're looking for.

It looks like they've rebranded Ice Lake to Sunny Cove.

This should finally give us LPDDR4, which was originally supposed to happen with Cannon Lake, which more or less never shipped. So while Apple eventually moved to DDR4 (rather than LPDDR) for the 15-inch MacBook Pro, meaning they could offer 32 GB but at the cost of reduced battery life, this next generation (to come out later 2019, if even that) will bring 32 or perhaps even 64 GB on LPDDR.

Other than that, we'll see how much bigger single-core gets. Multi-core isn't really an issue; Apple could ship iMacs with Coffee Lake, which would move them to six cores, or with Coffee Lake R, which would give them eight, even.
Reading the article, it actually sounds like Sunny Cover is the processor itself and Ice Lake is what the processor paired with integrated graphics will be called. That's what I got out of it.

Unity451

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2011
California
I just hope they don't need something like Rosetta to bridge the connection for all the "older" machines like they did for the PowerPC to Intel switch.

Reactions: DCIFRTHS

mithion

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2016
Reno, NV
I'm confused. Is this going to be 9th gen core architecture or 10th gen? I thought next in line was cannon lake. Are they skipping cannon lake altogether?

Reactions: ThaRuler

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
All I want is a modular Mac Pro tower, similar to the 2012 Mac Pro but with new hardware. Please make it happen Apple!
I'm guessing Apple is going to go with modular connected by wires. The Mac Mini with an external GPU and external storage might actually be closer to the future for pro users.

Reactions: George Zip

CyberBob859

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2007
I'll believe it when I see it!
Does anyone really trust Intel to deliver on their timelines anymore?

We've had too many "Lucy holding the football" type moments from them to expect Intel to actually come through next year .I would say to NOT expect these products because of the problems they've had hitting 10nm .

Last edited:

sosumi99

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2003
I just hope they don't need something like Rosetta to bridge the connection for all the "older" machines like they did for the PowerPC to Intel switch.
If they go ARM, such a translation layer is inevitable. It takes time for software vendors like Microsoft and Adobe (not to mention all the indie developers on the App store) to migrate over, so they'll have to put in place a compatibility solution. It is going to be a bumpy few years.
[doublepost=1544646780][/doublepost]
Does anyone really trust Intel to deliver on their timelines anymore?

We've had too many "Lucy holding the football" type moments from them to expect Intel to actually come through next year .I would say to NOT expect these products because of the problems theyvth had hitting 10nm .
My feeling exactly. I don't expect next year's Macs to be able to use these.

GeneralChang

macrumors 65832
Dec 2, 2013
Ah, Intel... as much fun as it has been watching you try to figure out what the heck has been going on now that AMD actually wants to compete, let's hope this'll mark the end of the scrambling period.

chucker23n1

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2014
Reading the article, it actually sounds like Sunny Cover is the processor itself and Ice Lake is what the processor paired with integrated graphics will be called. That's what I got out of it.
Doubt it. They had the Sandy Bridge microarchitecture with the Ivy Bridge shrink, the Haswell microarchitecture with the Broadwell shrink, and now the Skylake microarchitecture with the Kaby Lake, Coffee Lake, Whiskey Lake, Comet Lake, Cascade Lake (I'm probably forgetting a few) variants, with no actual shrink. Note that it's Bridge, Well, Lake. The next microarchitecture with its follow-ups is apparently Cove. (The MacRumors article doesn't mention this, but Sunny Cove will be followed by Willow Cove and Golden Cove.)

chucker23n1

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2014
I'm confused. Is this going to be 9th gen core architecture or 10th gen? I thought next in line was cannon lake. Are they skipping cannon lake altogether?
There are ninth-gen CPUs already, namely Coffee Lake Refresh.

The marketing generation doesn't match the microarchitecture.

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007
10nm 15" 4 core Macbook Air please, it'll be the new MacBook Pro no touch bar saviour!