Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I have a degree in networking, and I must ask this: IN ENGLISH?

Seriously, I have no clue how many nanometers wide or whatever my CPU is. I know it runs at 2.16 GHz and maybe has a 600-ish MHz bus.
Core Duo or Core 2 Duo (Merom)? Given the 2 GB of RAM I suspect it's a Core Duo. Both parts are in 65 nm.

Pachang

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2009
New iMacs?

what's the chances of apple updating iMacs with the clarkdale i5s early next year?

ltldrummerboy

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2007
Maybe someone can answer this question for me. Is there anything stopping Apple from using an Intel chipset with something like a discrete Geforce 9400 GPU? Does the 9400 even come in a discrete variety?

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
Maybe someone can answer this question for me. Is there anything stopping Apple from using an Intel chipset with something like a discrete Geforce 9400 GPU? Does the 9400 even come in a discrete variety?

No Nvidia/AMD can only not use Intel QPI. They can still use PCI, and all the old connections, so if there is a discrete 9400, it can be used. Whether there is one or not, I don't know.

Any more news on the AMD 5 series release date? GDDR5 VRAM across the board sounds pretty special.

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
they won't do MBPs with integrated only graphics. Firstly it'd be a step backwards from the previous models, and secondly it doesn't let anyone leverage the openCL stuff they've done for snow leopard.

My MBP is the awkward child of the family. The first 15" unibody so no nice new battery, and no core i-whatever come January. But its too soon to replace it.

What benefits are there from a newly architected core i-thingy if its still dual core? Don't we need to wait for quad core to get a big boost in speed? And even then, do we have any visibility on what kind of application support there will be to properly leverage multiple cores in the next 12 months or so?

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
Mobility HD 5000 parts are scheduled for Q1 2010. CES 2010 should show off some notebooks with the Mobility HD 5850.

Well, It's probably a stretch to think that any MBP will get a 5850. But would be nice if there was a MBP with a 5670 in it at CES :)

edmundo

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2009
What benefits are there from a newly architected core i-thingy if its still dual core?
Integrated memory controller, QPI, turbo boost, more cache, better power management, …
Don't we need to wait for quad core to get a big boost in speed?
Quads will have lower clock speed, and the mobile quads Intel released so far have very high power requirements (45W to 55W), which means they're going to annihilate your battery.

There are — as far as I can tell — no new quads on the roadmap, at least for Arrandale.
And even then, do we have any visibility on what kind of application support there will be to properly leverage multiple cores in the next 12 months or so?
None whatsoever.

SaltyPiratePony

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2009
I'm currently holding off my purchase of 13" mbp, but I honestly think only the 15" en 17" will get the new processors + (better?) discrete graphics.

My bet is the 13" will stay C2D + 9400, and prolly a slight CPU boost, bigger HDD, ...

I hope not of course, but I can't see where they'd put the gfx really.

Another question remains: why it's still branded "pro"... Only the unibody design (and what: 1 port?) is what makes it "better" than the MB.

Hell, how Apple even dares to keep selling the 13" at such a premium is beyond me (not really, it's smart from their point of view; ppl keep buying it? No problemo!)

Anyway, if the mbp doesn't get updated before the end of January I'll just buy the 13" and upgrade the HDD (and memory) myself. ;)

ts1973

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2002
Belgium
Quads will have lower clock speed, and the mobile quads Intel released so far have very high power requirements (45W to 55W), which means they're going to annihilate your battery.

For now that is true, but the architecture of i5/i7 with Turbo boost allows for a product with relatively low speeds when working with quad cores (or more) to scale quite high when only using 1 core. (using Turbo boost, the same TDP is sustained when working with 1 core, 2, 3 or 4 cores)

Anyway : I don't see Apple releasing this revision of Arrandales in its MBP line, the "rumor" of the waiting for a slightly revised part without the GPU is very credible imho.

As far as I can tell it's even quite easy to do for Intel : right now cpu's like the i5 660 work perfectly on a P55 motherboard without using the integrated graphics (actually they run better and OC a lot better on a P55 then on a H55/H57 when using integrated graphics, which makes sense of course).

edmundo

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2009
I'm currently holding off my purchase of 13" mbp, but I honestly think only the 15" en 17" will get the new processors + (better?) discrete graphics.
I don't think that makes any sense. Currently, the 13" MBP blows goats. It barely has anything to differentiate it from a 13" MB, and clearly not $250 worth of difference. The 13" MBP is in dire need for an upgrade, it's the MBP which needs it most.
Another question remains: why it's still branded "pro"... Only the unibody design (and what: 1 port?) is what makes it "better" than the MB.
Right now? Nothing. It has the SD and the FW800 slots, backlit keyboard, AL unibody… and that's it.

Cancelled
Dec 10, 2009
It is very unfortunate how low-spec the 13" MBP is these days and it would be equally disappointing if this particular model of the MBP is not significantly updated in the next go-around. However, it's Apple's 'best selling' computer, so what incentive do they have to improve it (i.e. add one of these newfangled Intel processors)?

Apple's MBP line, in my opinion, is ridiculously underpowered and that's because the people buying them in the largest quantities are people who could give a crap about having a fast machine, like (some)girls/families/college kids who just want a slim form factor and the status of having that nice, bright Apple emblazoned on the back of the monitor. Apple doesn't need to cater to 'pro' users, because it seems to me that this is becoming a smaller and smaller minority of users.

When I bought my first PowerBook (Titanium), it could hold its own against some lower end desktops at the time. Now? The MacBook Pro can't hold a candle to most PC laptops out there (aside from those in the bargain bin or maybe netbooks). I REALLY want to get a 13-inch MacBook Pro. They're so enticing and I want a reason to be pulled away from my damn PC desktop. The only thing I've got going now is a recent eBay purchase of a clamshell iBook for £10! Fantastic. Love OS 9. =P

ts1973

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2002
Belgium
Apple's MBP line, in my opinion, is ridiculously underpowered and that's because the people buying them in the largest quantities are people who could give a crap about having a fast machine, like (some)girls/families/college kids who just want a slim form factor and the status of having that nice, bright Apple emblazoned on the back of the monitor. Apple doesn't need to cater to 'pro' users, because it seems to me that this is becoming a smaller and smaller minority of users.

When I bought my first PowerBook (Titanium), it could hold its own against some lower end desktops at the time. Now? The MacBook Pro can't hold a candle to most PC laptops out there (aside from those in the bargain bin or maybe netbooks). I REALLY want to get a 13-inch MacBook Pro. They're so enticing and I want a reason to be pulled away from my damn PC desktop. The only thing I've got going now is a recent eBay purchase of a clamshell iBook for £10! Fantastic. Love OS 9. =P

I really don't agree here. Apple is currently using the best possible notebook CPU's with exceptional battery life. Sure, there are core i5/i7 notebooks out there, but they're useless unless they've got a permanent attachment to your wall.

Arrandale is the first batch of core i5/i7 cpu's that will get you reasonable battery life in a notebook, but they're handicapped by their integrated GPU (which Intel definately would like to sell in one package). In this respect I'm curious whether Apple will be able to get a dedicated CPU from Intel once more, or if they're at all allowed to NOT use the integrated GPU

Kristenn

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2009
Originally Posted by iZac
"Intel,

your integrated GPUs are crap, pull them out. Not that big of a deal.

- Steve

Sent from my iPhone"

gilljoy

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2009
I don't think that makes any sense. Currently, the 13" MBP blows goats. It barely has anything to differentiate it from a 13" MB, and clearly not $250 worth of difference. The 13" MBP is in dire need for an upgrade, it's the MBP which needs it most.

Right now? Nothing. It has the SD and the FW800 slots, backlit keyboard, AL unibody… and that's it.

I totally agree, Im looking to buy the 13" pro but the spec isnt different enough for me to justify the extra money. I would just buy the 13" macbook but i've heard bad things about the plastic breaking and lets face it the MBP is far nicer looking machine.

Duno wither to buy now or not tho.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
It is a stupid move on Intels part and probably a management decision aimed at NVidia

Since Intel has not made a good graphics processor yet why do they insist on wasting all of those transistors? Wouldn't theyy be better used as cache storage?

Cache might be one answer but there are a lot of other goodies that could go on the chip without wasting space. More cores for one. Serial I/O lines such as Ethernet, SATA, USB and the like.

Except at the very lowest end Intels integrated GPUs simply blow the thermal budget for the module. Module is a key word here as the build in GPU is really a second chip on the module. The point is any GPU of reasonable performance will take up a lot of die area and emit heat. In a laptop it actually makes sense to spread that heat load around.

One has to acknowledge the advantage of faster transfers for one

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
wait, so Apple would have supposedly known about Intel's future offerings being as they have a close enough relationship, so Apple would have maybe known about Intel adding discrete graphics to their CPUs and preventing Nvidia from manufacturing discrete options?

so why would have Apple added Nvidia discrete graphics to their MacBook/Pro line when they may have known about Intel adding their own discrete graphics to Arrandale and therefore creating a graphics performance dead end to their MacBooks. maybe not?

plazmatyk

macrumors member
May 28, 2009
Rockville, MD
Al MBP's have integrated graphics, but the most of the 15 inchers and the 17 inch have additional 9600M GT graphics card. So Nvidia/ATI cannot make integrated graphics for these processors, but they can make discrete graphics. If this issue doesn't get resolved, we'll most likely see these processors with the Intel integrated graphics and ATI/Nvidia for discrete graphics. I'm worried about the 13" MBP, though. It currently does not have the option of a discrete card, so if gets Arrandale, we're back to intel graphics (square 1) with no other options. I'm thinking we'll finally see discrete graphics on the 13 MBP? I have Mid 2007 MacBook with the Intel GMA 950, and it's terrible. The machine overall is great, but the graphics on here, ugh.

God, I hope so. I love the 13" form factor because it's almost as portable as a netbook and I do miss having a discrete graphics chip. If they put discrete graphics in the 13" MBP, I'm getting one the day it comes out. I'm also not a fan of Intel graphics. Not only because of performance issues but also because there are some very good programs that only run on Nvidia graphics chips.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
Integrated memory controller, QPI, turbo boost, more cache, better power management, …
Yes. The days of judging a processor by its clock speed are over (for now).

the mobile quads Intel released so far have very high power requirements (45W to 55W), which means they're going to annihilate your battery.

Wrong. That's their max TDP, which may be for use only when plugged in. I'd guess they can scale back to a single core, which could mean a 2+ GHZ processor running at 14-16 watts. Not bad.

Another way of doing it is to have all 4 cores running at 25%, which electrically, uses much less power than a single core running at 100%.

HTH. HAND.

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham

There are — as far as I can tell — no new quads on the roadmap, at least for Arrandale.

None whatsoever.

No, they'll not "annihilate" your battery.

Uh, lots of graphic, 3D, video and music apps.
And anybody who does heavy multitasking. :rolleyes:

Why are you spreading fear and misinformation?
Oh, I get it. Because you can get quad cores in $800 PC laptops
and not in $3,000 MBPs, you don't need them and never will.
That is, until Apple offers them. :D

Kind of reminds me how stupid everybody said FM tuners were in iPods.
Until Apple started "innovating" and offered FM tuners in iPods.
10 years after other MP3 players had them. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.