Intel X25 SSD question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CDutch, Apr 14, 2010.

1. CDutch macrumors regular

2. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

3. CDutch thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the prompt response. One more question....is the Intel the SSD you would buy?

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Most definitely. Although I hear the G3s are around the corner.... cheaper and more storage capacity.

5. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

I am so glad that at least some of the people are buying SSD's for their new MBP's. The power will truly be unleashed in these beasts.

Instead of bitching about, "OH IF I SPEND A HUNDRED BUCKS MORE, I CAN GET A 7200 DRIVE WOOP WOOP", at least some people are buying the base model and swapping drives.

The impact of an SSD is gigantic. I don't even have an i5-7 macbook and i KNOW that the ssd would help these chips just scream.

Instead of whining about whether they should spend a little more money, I wish more people were like you. SSD's are cheap now, most people like me will get by on 80 gigs. My 2ghz Macbook screams with the ssd and 4 gigs of ddr3 i popped in.

The upgrades are easy and painless.

If your spending around 1800 bucks on a MBP.. why not spend 200 more and get an Intel SSD..

jeeze people : )

6. CDutch thread starter macrumors regular

Really?? Are we talking months or weeks?

7. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

Thats awesome. I love my G2. These drives are wicked. Such a bad influence on me, sometimes I just launch programs for no reason to watch them load. Word loads from a cold start in like a bounce and a half and Photoshop in under 5 seconds. ahah : )

8. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

G3 SSDs not til Q4 2010 or Q1 2011 as reported by intel themselves and many hardware sites. At launch the G3 drives will no doubt be more expensive, but yes higher capacity and faster performance.

9. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Remind me what Q are we in? In the US

10. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

No idea to be honest, maybe the beginning of Q2? Either way the new G3 SSDs aren't due out til december at the earliest, more then likely early 2011.

11. CDutch thread starter macrumors regular

Q2.

12. robby818 macrumors 6502a

SSD is the best bang for upgrade you can make in any machine. You notice its speed in everything you do. Most people spend unnecessarily on RAM upgrades and expensive video card upgrades. The benefit to those upgrades is rarely noticeable in day to day computing unless you are doing a lot of heavy lifting. SSD makes everything faster- boot times, internet surfing, opening apps. It's awesome.

13. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Hum, funny, I thought Intel rolled with the Financial year (June '09-June '10), I was wrong then.

Anyways, G3s won't be here till OP, sorry up if I got your rilled up.

14. snouter macrumors 6502a

If OS X does not support TRIM, how are mac users fighting performance degradation over time?

15. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

TRIM matters less and less as SSD capacities grow.... Small SSD do need TRIM while large ones can do without.

16. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

No offense, but ask anyone with a respectable knowledge of SSDs and they'll say you're crazy with that statement. TRIM and garbage collection do absolute wonders for SSDs of ANY size.

17. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Garbage collection works best for smaller SSDs that have limited amount of pages to write. A large SSD has no worries since it has more larger pages to dissipate its writing ops.

You need a back-up of this source?

Head over to AnandTech and read the 25 page review of SSDs. Later read every SSD article there is. You will be surprised.

18. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

Read that article and yes, it's very informative. Of course it works better for smaller SSDs. Large SSDs could do without TRIM for a while yes, but after a few months no doubt you'd start to notice performance degradation that be greatly reduced by TRIM/GC.

19. snouter macrumors 6502a

I'd be looking to install the Crucial 128GB SSD I have right now, so, I'm thinking I'd need to help it out sometimes...

How do you do it on a Mac?

TRIM is a backround process, and most Garbage Collection utilities I see are PC

I have some PCs so that's not an issue if that's what I have to do...

20. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

Okay, my $500 question to you good people -- if I installed an (Intel X-25 G2 160GB) SSD on my MBP, ran Boot Camp, installed Windows 7 and ran TRIM on it, will it clean only the Boot Camp sector or the entire disk ?

21. ryanpuru macrumors newbie

Which SSD?

Hi Guys,

I am going to be purchasing a 160GB x25-m from Newegg but I am not sure which model I will need to swap out my 7200rpm drive that I will be moving to optibay.

It looks like one version is just the barebones OEM, while the other has a kit for installing in a desktop. I know this is probably a pretty dumb question, but I just want to be sure I am ordering the right part. The link is here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...er=BESTMATCH&Description=intel+g2+ssd&x=0&y=0

Thanks in advance.

22. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Only Windows side, Windows can't read HSF+

23. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

I heard the Crucial ones still have firmware issues. Correct me if they have been updated.

24. fuzzielitlpanda macrumors 6502a

so you're saying the solution to lack of trim on macs is to buy a larger ssd? no way

25. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

OEM version, clicky

Since it goes to your old HDD's place. You don't or will not need the mount brackets for a desktop.