Intel X25M SSD - OEM or Retail?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Shouzen, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Shouzen macrumors newbie

Planning on purchasing the X25M SSD for my new MBP.

For the people who've bought it in the past: which should I get, OEM or Retail? The Retail version supposedly comes with additional mounting brackets and stuff, but I don't know if those are required for mounting into the MBP drive bay. Input?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

OEM is fine, that's how I went.
    The brackets, from what I understand don't apply to the MBP and they don't fit right with the MP. I could be wrong but that's what I read on some other site.

3. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

The extra brackets are to fit it in a 3.5" desktop bay. You don't need anything from the retail package to fit it in your MBP. When you remove your old drive just take the four mounting screws from it and put them in your SSD and you're done. Go with the OEM.

4. lily69 macrumors regular

I think retail and OEM are priced the same also. I got retail box one, the drive inside has same model number as OEM.

5. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

OEM's are about EUR. 10 cheaper in Germany. Don't know about other countries though. Makes sense I guess because here they come in a cardboard box with foam moulds inside instead of the blue retail packing.

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

For a laptop OEM. For a desktop Retail, that way you get the 3.5" holder.

7. gagaliya macrumors 6502

fyi dont listen to those guys, get the RETAIL version.

The 4 mounting screw that's attached to the existing hdd is next to impossible to remove, i have a pretty good toolset and even the smallest hex screwdriver doesnt fit. Will have to drive to home depot tomorrow. Stupid freaking thing.

8. John Kotches macrumors 6502

That should be a Torx screw(a T6 to be specific). You'll definitely have a tough time removing that with any size hex head.

9. scottlinux macrumors 6502a

scottlinux

Just takes a torx screwdriver to remove the screws. It's not that hard. Almost every apple product requires torx screwdrivers. Ever been to ifixit ? :)

10. gagaliya macrumors 6502

thanks the smallest one i have is T7....argg

i am reinstalling mac osx and windows 7 anyway with the hard drive just hanging, will get it screwed in tomorrow.

11. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

Its our fault if you don't have a screw driver ? Make some sense before you post man.

12. barefeats macrumors 65816

barefeats

Be aware that the X25-M has a write speed less that half that of the competing SSDs. A better choice would be one of the SandForce based SSDs like the OCZ Vertex 2, OCZ Agility 2, and the OWC Mercury Extreme. Those are not only faster than the Intel X25-M, but they don't experience slowing write speeds after repeated use.

13. Dragonforce macrumors 6502a

Dragonforce

They are much more expensive tho ;)
    At least here in Germany you can get the X25-M G2 160 GB for 350€, while you have to pay for the OCZ Vertex 200 GB exactly the double... 700€. I went with the Intel OEM and I'm more than happy with it... not doing a lot of writes anyway.

14. gianly1985 macrumors 6502a

gianly1985

Buy retail.

If it breaks down (and it's likely to, during a firmware update for example), with the OEM you're f*cked.

The retail has direct Intel warranty. The OEM hasn't.

15. kngelv macrumors member

You are wrong on this. If you buy an OEM that is in an individual box it has a direct three year warranty. I just purchased a 160GB G2 OEM off of Amazon for my new MBP i7 15in Hi-Rez which should be here next week. There is a warranty slip in the box. Check the link below for further info.

James

http://www.intel.com/support/ssdc/hpssd/sb/CS-030159.htm

16. gianly1985 macrumors 6502a

gianly1985

I phoned Intel customer support about a dead 160gb G2, when I told them that it was an OEM product they said they couldn't help me and I had to contact the reseller, as stated in the link you provided.
    It was in an individual box like this:

[​IMG]

17. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

That's true. When buying OEM products, you get warranty from the reseller, but when buying retail, you get from both. In e.g. OEM Windows, MS gives you no support as it's meant for system builders, not for home use so in case of problem, you have to contact the seller of computer (if Windows came with it) or you have no official support. Apple buys OEM products as they give the warranty, not the manufacturer so if your HD dies, only the Apple warranty is valid, the manufacturer's warranty which is usually longer, is not.

I always check who gives the warranty when buying OEM stuff, as sometimes OEM is just used for the format of package (bare drive or retail)

18. Dragonforce macrumors 6502a

Dragonforce

You still have warranty on them. 3 years. At least its like that in Germany.
    Doesn't matter if you buy OEM or Retail.

19. gianly1985 macrumors 6502a

gianly1985

Call me stupid but I'll never buy an OEM ssd again. For what, saving 10-20€? Not worth it...

20. Dragonforce macrumors 6502a

Dragonforce

A lot of shops don't even carry the retail version here, don't have much choice in buying the OEM package :eek:

21. Shouzen thread starter macrumors newbie

FYI I ended up getting the retail version. I was looking around on Amazon and for some reason the retail was going for LESS than the OEM, so I just jumped on it. Now it's more expensive again, no idea why... but either way I have my SSD installed and am loving it

22. Jimmi1321 macrumors newbie

Just a little OT

I can buy a Kingston marked intel G2 160gb from a friend who has a small PC shop. He can also install it. (He doesn't have intel.)

My concerns are on future firmware upgrades. Do you know if kingston is reliable in that aspect??

23. koruki macrumors 6502a

koruki

OEM for laptop, retail for Desktop as the diff is you get a 3.5" rack.

If you bought retail for your Macbook Pro I'm afraid you just forced me to call you stupid, but your sig only has an iMac so you're fine lol.

24. kngelv macrumors member

You may be right. The link is a bit contradictory. It says wholesale drives do not have a direct warranty from Intel but it also says that wholesale drives are not sold in individual boxes. It says this: Reseller solid-state drives are sold in multi-packs of individual boxes and typically carry a three year warranty directly from Intel. The drive I have is in the same individual box you pictured. I'm calling Intel tomorrow and if there is no direct warranty it is going back to Amazon.

James

25. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey