Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Tom's Hardware reviews Intel's upcoming 2006 Processor roadmap based on information they have obtained. According to the hardware enthusiast site, Intel is indeed aggressively reducing power consumption on high end desktop processors as well as mobile processors.

Documents seen by Tom's Hardware Guide now indicate that the new processor architecture code-named "Conroe" and scheduled for the second half of 2006 will deliver on this promise. If we believe our sources, then Intel is targeting a power consumption of about 60 to 70 watts per processor - or 30 to 35 watts per core.

Meanwhile, Intel seems to be making steady progress with their mobile "Napa" platform which will provide both single and dual core Yonah processors. These processors are expected in January of 2006. Yonah is a 65-nm dual-core mobile processor that many expect Apple to use as early as 2006.

Apple had cited energy efficiency as one of the major reasons for the switch to Intel.

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
This is definitely exciting. Can't wait! Well, I can, but I don't want to. :p If the processors (Napa) ship in the first half of 2006, can we expect Apple to have a product ready before the WWDC?
-Chase

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
Who'da thunk it - Moto and IBM dropping the ball - ah well, sounds like good things are ahead.

AP_piano295

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
dual core mobile chips sounds cool

(pretending I know the difference between a single core and a dual core chip :cool: )

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
macorama said:
So if you're waiting for a new powerbook... January might be worth waiting for!
I'd be surprised if Apple started shipping PBs with these new CPUs in January, but there's always hope I guess. I'd expect it to be in the later half of the first quarter, or the second quarter.

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
tamtam said:
Looks like Intel is trying hard to expand and support apples needs.
Heh I don't think they're making these chips specifically for Apple :)

jmsait19

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2004
MO
macorama said:
I'm sure none of this is news to Steve Jobs!

I'll second this. I must say though, that this is exciting and it will be nice to see some Apples with truly top of the line hardware. Is anyone else pumped about this whole intel thing?

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Not really anything new...

...but, just to look for the positive angle, I take it as a sign that Intel is on schedule and the first Mactels might be introduced as early as Macworld in January... Here's to "....one more thing" January 9th... ;) :D

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
They will also need to redesign the Powerbook before the chips go in so it will be a while after January before we see these.

joecool85

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
Maine
MacNut said:
They will also need to redesign the Powerbook before the chips go in so it will be a while after January before we see these.

eh...I doubt that has much to do with it. Odds are this is really old news to Apple, and if need be, I'm sure they have a redesigned PB ready to go already actually.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Detailed benchmarks on Developer Intel Macs

Great opportunity to slip in the following link:

http://www.macnews.de/news/69855

It is in German, though. To summarize quickly, even for Intel-native apps a dual 2.7 Ghz is still noticeably faster than the 3.6 Ghz P4 (o.k. that is comparing dual against single). Rosetta for apps with very little altivec code is about as fast as current G4s. For altivec code Rosetta is very slow (factor 10 or more). Even part of OS X still runs via Rosetta.

briansolomon

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
joecool85 said:
eh...I doubt that has much to do with it. Odds are this is really old news to Apple, and if need be, I'm sure they have a redesigned PB ready to go already actually.

Wouldn't it seem logical for (almost) all the models to get redesigns with the Intel chips. New chip/new design? New era of better computing.

I would expect redesigns from PowerMac, iMac, iBook, Powerbook. Not sure about mini, eMac though.

What do you guys think?

GilGrissom

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2005
joecool85 said:
I agree. Apple will have plenty of information and prototypes already. They will have plenty up their sleeves. Saying this I'm still doubtful for January for brand new top of the range PowerBooks. Mac mini maybe? But even that could be later than January.

Even if Apple did get the processors before main release in January I'm not sure if they will have enough for a large supply of the new machines to sell immediately.

And secondly, why does the PowerBook have to be totally redesigned? (i.e.: the outer look etc). Obviously the insides will need changing, but whats wrong with keeping the body the same, or similar? They are still following normal Wintel laptop basic form factors. Unless its time, as you say, for a big change in the look!! But I like the look! As is always the case its hard to imagine better or something new being better! But I guess Apple have it down to a fine art!

Another side of the coin would suggest that Apple will not drastically change things immediatly like that in terms of design. They would want to keep some recognition in the old design as they cross over, as to not alienate or confuse some customers or viewers. Saying that it may take a new look design for new people to take notice more and reall believe that they are better and fully compatible etc, worth while the switch. I think there should be a compromise cross over period to satisfy both sides.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
I think that it is more likely that we will see updated (intel) powerbooks in june (WWDC) of 06. Thats what Jobs said. And think about it, that it is just over 9 months away... That means that Apple are able to update the PPC PowerBooks one last time, and still give it a decent life cycle.

I will be all over a low power, dual-core powerbook if that is the case (and I dont get one before then).

And I do think that we will get some sort of a redesign. It almost seems necessary to put something new and fresh out there to help distinguish the Intel Macs from the PPC Macs. Apple may very well stick with the Aluminum for the "Pro" line, but i think that there will be some change in the form factor.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
This will definitely lead to some exciting announcements at MWSF. Notice I said "announcements" though - I doubt that due to the timing, Apple will have anything read to release with these new babies right in January. Rather, Jobs will probably introduce a new PowerBook (just as an example) and announce a shipping date 2-3 months out. Then the date will slip.... then there will be supply issues.... but by June we should have some nice new PowerBooks, just in time for WWDC! :eek: :p ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.