Intel's 5G Chips Won't Appear in Mobile Phones Until 2020

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
www.macrumors.com

Reuters reports that Intel has confirmed it does not expect its 5G chips to be in consumer products until 2020.
Intel Corp executives said on Friday its 5G modem chips will not appear in mobile phones until 2020, raising the possibility its biggest customer, Apple Inc, will be more than a year behind rivals in delivering a device that uses the faster networks.
Intel's timeline is tied closely with Apple's product plans due to Apple's reliance on Intel chips for its iPhone modems. Previously a Qualcomm customer, Apple has been at odds with Qualcomm due to an ongoing legal battle between the two companies. In fact, Qualcomm has been reportedly unwilling to sell its chips to Apple because of the conflict.

That has left Apple reliant on Intel for its modem chips in the latest line of iPhones, though Apple has been exploring other vendors, and even working to develop its own chips. That plan, however, isn't expected to produce results until 2021, at least.

Apple waiting until 2020 to deliver 5G iPhones doesn't come as a surprise as previous rumors have said the same. This statement by Intel, however, does seem to confirm some of those previous rumors.

Article Link: Intel's 5G Chips Won't Appear in Mobile Phones Until 2020

Kelson

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2002
Dallas, TX
Visit site
And this is a problem because?

There is going to be very little actual service coverage in 2019. Not to mention that the 5G chips are massive power drains.

I'm more than happy to wait until 2020 to get a 5G iPhone. This is a non-issue in my mind. I'd like to see continued gains in framework development for App devs, more CPU/GPU power, and better battery life for the 2019 phones.

vertical smile

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2014
At this point, I don't see the benefits of having 5G on a phone.

I am more interested in the impact of fixed wireless access on 5G. I think this will be a huge game changer and finally a competitor for the big cable companies.

Last edited:

Mr. Dee

macrumors 68020
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
techingiteasy.wordpress.com
The reality is, I will still be using my 2017 iPhone X in 2020 possibly 2021. So, the possibility of this impacting Apple negatively is very little. Sure, it matters to the Urkles of the Internet, but the probably don't even count as a percentage in the scheme of things. When you take into account the fact that I am sitting across from someone right now how just replaced the broken screen on his iPhone 5s. The tonne load of iPhone 6, 6s, 7 models I still see in use suggest not a lot of people care how theoretically fast your phones network is with exception to a select few.

MKBHD mentioned the other day during his Samsung Galaxy 10 overview, the maxed out Plus model supports up to 12 GBs of RAM. He asked, is that something people actually discuss with each other, my phone has this amount of RAM? If its one thing I thought the mobile revolution was going to do was get us over the feeds and speeds stuff.

But even Apple seems to be getting trapped into it with the latest iPad Pro's measuring up to MacBook Pros. The practicality is whats missing, when Steve Jobs introduced the Retina display, you understood the benefit of it immediately, better screen meant you can read on your device longer and pictures looked better. 3G network was faster than 2G, 4G meant I could update my apps and do a video call over cellular.

But I have yet to see what 5G is gonna do to make the smartphone any better than it already is, at least not yet. The practical applications is likely at least a few years away after launch, which means, we probably won't realise the benefits until around 2025 or 2026.

falainber

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2016
Wild West
Because in September 2019 5g will be widely available in every corner of the United States and all across the globe?
1. iPhone users won't have 5G anywhere in the world
2. People who buy iPhone in 2019 and most of 2020 won't have 5G for as long as they keep their phones (i.e. long after 5G is available everywhere)

Just like with other new tech (LTE, OLED, NFC, USB-C, wireless charging etc.) Apple customers get it last and sometimes years after others.

Baymowe335

macrumors 603
Oct 6, 2017
1. iPhone users won't have 5G anywhere in the world
2. People who buy iPhone in 2019 and most of 2020 won't have 5G for as long as they keep their phones (i.e. long after 5G is available everywhere)

Just like with other new tech (LTE, OLED, NFC, USB-C, wireless charging etc.) Apple customers get it last and sometimes years after others.
I remember when LTE came out. It was trash. I had a Samsung phone with LTE and it was slow, spotty, and never worked well.

iPhones didn't have OLED, but still managed to have some of the best screens in the industry.

Apple isn't last to every technology and when they aren't first, they always make it work better.

Apple also has industry leading silicon.