Intel's 5G Chips Won't Appear in Mobile Phones Until 2020

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 23, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Reuters reports that Intel has confirmed it does not expect its 5G chips to be in consumer products until 2020.
    Intel's timeline is tied closely with Apple's product plans due to Apple's reliance on Intel chips for its iPhone modems. Previously a Qualcomm customer, Apple has been at odds with Qualcomm due to an ongoing legal battle between the two companies. In fact, Qualcomm has been reportedly unwilling to sell its chips to Apple because of the conflict.

[​IMG]

That has left Apple reliant on Intel for its modem chips in the latest line of iPhones, though Apple has been exploring other vendors, and even working to develop its own chips. That plan, however, isn't expected to produce results until 2021, at least.

Apple waiting until 2020 to deliver 5G iPhones doesn't come as a surprise as previous rumors have said the same. This statement by Intel, however, does seem to confirm some of those previous rumors.

Article Link: Intel's 5G Chips Won't Appear in Mobile Phones Until 2020

2. Thalesian macrumors member

3. vicviper789 macrumors regular

4. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

5. KGBguy macrumors regular

KGBguy

Apple’s Ego is too big for that lol

6. johnyslats macrumors 6502a

johnyslats

I can wait. As much as carriers and smartphone vendors want us to buy into the ‘5G is here’ hype the infrastructure for widespread adoption just won’t be here for some time

7. OverChris macrumors newbie

Completely agree, although it will be a major sales point for phones to have it.

8. cmaier macrumors G5

Apple is now friends with microsoft and ibm. Anything can happen.

9. Heineken macrumors 6502a

Heineken

Because in 2019 a modem that has no network support is very important ... oh wait ...

10. ElRojito macrumors regular

You mean apple will put them aside for a ******** version? Lol

11. Kelson macrumors member

And this is a problem because?

There is going to be very little actual service coverage in 2019. Not to mention that the 5G chips are massive power drains.

I'm more than happy to wait until 2020 to get a 5G iPhone. This is a non-issue in my mind. I'd like to see continued gains in framework development for App devs, more CPU/GPU power, and better battery life for the 2019 phones.

12. Nick05 macrumors member

Nick05

As long as you have AT&T your phone will make you believe you are on 5G

It’s in my bank account’s best interest that 5G won’t be widely available or coming to this year’s iPhone so this works out well for me.

13. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

Because in September 2019 5g will be widely available in every corner of the United States and all across the globe?

14. TwoBytes macrumors 68030

TwoBytes

Networks aren't ready for 5G anyway. When they are, Apple will be using their custom A series chips anyway.

15. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

Having 5G on an iPhone doesn't interest me one bit. Outside of cities, 5G coverage for cell phones will probably remain spotty for a long while.

LTE will be used for many of us for many, many years.

16. gavroche macrumors 65816

gavroche

lol to all the people that were blasting Apple when it first leaked out that they would not be in iPhone until 2020, and who said it would cause them to switch to a competitor.

17. vertical smile, Feb 23, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2019

vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

At this point, I don't see the benefits of having 5G on a phone.

I am more interested in the impact of fixed wireless access on 5G. I think this will be a huge game changer and finally a competitor for the big cable companies.

18. KrisLord macrumors 65816

I’m not concerned about a lack of 5G as the network isn’t there.

What we should be concerned about is if Intel are a year or more behind other manufacturers when they release their V1 product.

19. Mr. Dee macrumors 68000

Mr. Dee

The reality is, I will still be using my 2017 iPhone X in 2020 possibly 2021. So, the possibility of this impacting Apple negatively is very little. Sure, it matters to the Urkles of the Internet, but the probably don't even count as a percentage in the scheme of things. When you take into account the fact that I am sitting across from someone right now how just replaced the broken screen on his iPhone 5s. The tonne load of iPhone 6, 6s, 7 models I still see in use suggest not a lot of people care how theoretically fast your phones network is with exception to a select few.

MKBHD mentioned the other day during his Samsung Galaxy 10 overview, the maxed out Plus model supports up to 12 GBs of RAM. He asked, is that something people actually discuss with each other, my phone has this amount of RAM? If its one thing I thought the mobile revolution was going to do was get us over the feeds and speeds stuff.

But even Apple seems to be getting trapped into it with the latest iPad Pro's measuring up to MacBook Pros. The practicality is whats missing, when Steve Jobs introduced the Retina display, you understood the benefit of it immediately, better screen meant you can read on your device longer and pictures looked better. 3G network was faster than 2G, 4G meant I could update my apps and do a video call over cellular.

But I have yet to see what 5G is gonna do to make the smartphone any better than it already is, at least not yet. The practical applications is likely at least a few years away after launch, which means, we probably won't realise the benefits until around 2025 or 2026.

20. falainber macrumors 65816

falainber

1. iPhone users won't have 5G anywhere in the world
    2. People who buy iPhone in 2019 and most of 2020 won't have 5G for as long as they keep their phones (i.e. long after 5G is available everywhere)

Just like with other new tech (LTE, OLED, NFC, USB-C, wireless charging etc.) Apple customers get it last and sometimes years after others.

21. s15119 macrumors 68000

s15119

That's quite all right. The tech will be mature in 2021. I can wait.

22. Baymowe335 macrumors 68040

Actually, it's QCOM that took their ball and went home.

23. ka-spot macrumors 6502a

24. Baymowe335 macrumors 68040

I remember when LTE came out. It was trash. I had a Samsung phone with LTE and it was slow, spotty, and never worked well.

iPhones didn't have OLED, but still managed to have some of the best screens in the industry.

Apple isn't last to every technology and when they aren't first, they always make it work better.

Apple also has industry leading silicon.