Intel's Upcoming Coffee Lake Processors Up to 30% Faster Than Kaby Lake Chips Coming to Mac Notebooks

lysingur

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2013
Uh, so the MacBook Pro that hasn't been released yet is outdated because of an Intel chip that is far from being released yet (see Intel's recent scorecard on hitting their own schedule or promised performance). Your comment doesn't make sense.

Apple cannot release a computer using a non-existent Intel chip, nor can they, in fairness, even design a computer based on a non-existent chip. This is not an Apple issue, go troll Intel.
The new Intel chip notwithstanding, actually. If you look at HDMI, Bluetooth, DDR, and display technology, MacBook Pro mid-2017 will most likely be outdated in all of these areas.

Kagio

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2008
Phew!! thanks Apple. For a moment I just though a Mac would be in state of the art techwise and I was scared,

Calmed now that I know it's not happening. Dodge a bullet right there! Don't ever go scaring people with random unusual changes again please,

lysingur

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2013
This is completely untrue.

Current MacBooks have the latest Intel and AMD chips.

7th generation wasn't released yet for HQ and U class, and probably won't be, also, it has the same micro architecture and the same process, it doesn't have any battery life or performance improvements, so it's a pure marketing gimmick.
"Latest" Intel? You're joking.

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
Yeah quad-core 15W (U) and 18W (H) chips were rumored about 6 months ago, but the 18W were apparently cancelled and I feared the 15W quad-cores may be too. I am so glad that they aren't cancelled, and hope to see them in the 13" MacBook Pros. This may be a 3rd performance tier or maybe the whole line will go to 15W.

This chip may have the standard HD 720 graphics and not the Iris, which could mean we may see a dGPU in the 13-inch!
Something like the new GeForce MX150 (which has a configurable 15W-30W TDP) or a low power AMD card could be suitable.
Oh man I would be really tempted to get a 13" machine (in addition to the iMac Pro and sell off my 15" MBP) if it gets quad-core and discrete graphics. I don't need crazy graphics in a 13" machine, but anything discrete would be welcome! What are the odds that such a machine could also have 32GB of RAM? I mean, 16GB would probably be fine as I'd do any crazy work on the iMac Pro but I might get it just for longevity. I'm really glad I configured my main rMBP back in 2012 with 16GB of RAM. Isn't the new RAM (DDR4?) supposed to be more power efficient, which is why Apple didn't offer 32GB of the old RAM in the last update?

Reactions: StoneyG

bjet767

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2010
Really what this means is all of you who have been waiting for the latest Apple MacBook will have to wait some more.

Also when is the new thread going to start, "Should I wait for the next MacBook?"

Labeno

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2008
Tim's Apple likely has no intention of upgrading to this new processor until it is old and cheap to maximize profit... not to benefit customers. So expect this in MacBook probably late 2018 or later. SJ would have had a deal with Intel to be the first with the new chip to market.
Can't wait the see the comments that disagree with this. Please prove me wrong cause I miss the Apple that use to innovate.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
30% improvement on their favourite benchmark, comparing a dual-core to a quad-core.

Their IPC has barely changed for five years.
That's what I figured. I get the dramatic jump in 4K performance with Kabylake, but general computing jumps of 30% generation to generation is basically unheard of when it comes to (non-mobile) processors these days.

Reactions: nzgeorge

dannys1

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2007
UK
danielshepherd.co.uk
So if Apple refreshes the MacBook's next week, they'll be outdated again within a couple months?
Considering you won't be able to buy these until at least December, no, not "a couple of months" and if you consider an entire laptop "out of date" because it doesn't use Intels latest codename chip you ought to start paying more attention to the rest of the components in it.

Joe Rossignol

Editor
Staff member
May 12, 2012
Toronto
Up to 30% Faster

Corporate YMMV wording.
That's actually my wording. Intel simply says:

"…we're seeing a performance improvement of more than 30 percent over the 7th Gen Intel Core processor."

But since it's only a comparison between the high-end Core i7 chip of each generation, it won't always be >30%.

Reactions: nzgeorge

lysingur

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2013
My comment is exactly like you have quoted.
The latest Intel Core i7 mobile processor is the 7920HQ. Which Intel Core i7 does the latest MacBook Pro use? So there. I was right and you're wrong. End of story.

leman

macrumors G3
Oct 14, 2008
How in the world are they getting 30% improvement (unless only in very specific scenarios)? Wouldn't that be the biggest processor performance leap in like a decade?
Probably a new, improved architecture and some tricks with better caching. AMD got a better performance leap in Zen though. But yeah, optimising this further is crazily complicated and very impressive.

Duane Martin

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
etsproductions.com
The new Intel chip notwithstanding, actually. If you look at HDMI, Bluetooth, DDR, and display technology, MacBook Pro mid-2017 will most likely be outdated in all of these areas.
Ah, yes, so you contend that Intel has nothing to do with HDMI, Bluetooth, DDR and Display Port support? Well, have I got a surprise for you! Again, you have a problem with the state of innovation regarding chips or the implementation of these standards, go troll Intel.

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2016
Oh man I would be really tempted to get a 13" machine (in addition to the iMac Pro and sell off my 15" MBP) if it gets quad-core and discrete graphics. I don't need crazy graphics in a 13" machine, but anything discrete would be welcome! What are the odds that such a machine could also have 32GB of RAM? I mean, 16GB would probably be fine as I'd do any crazy work on the iMac Pro but I might get it just for longevity. I'm really glad I configured my main rMBP back in 2012 with 16GB of RAM. Isn't the new RAM (DDR4?) supposed to be more power efficient, which is why Apple didn't offer 32GB of the old RAM in the last update?
Same here, I would love to see it and it'd get rid of the conflict between the 13" and 15" for me. And I don't think it would be bad for the 15" because that will still have the larger screen, and more powerful CPU/GPU.

I think the reasoning was that to offer 32GB, they would have to use RAM that consumes more power and is usually used in desktops. I believe the underlying issue is LP RAM support in Intel processors.

So it depends on Intels support, and what they can fit on the logic board. I think that's probably more of a problem with storage - I would also like to see over 1TB on the 13". Currently the 15W chips have a 16GB RAM limit andI don't know if that will change with Coffee Lake. We may have to wait another year for that.

usarioclave

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Visit site
Anyone who's been around should be amazed how much performance is getting squeezed out of a 15W part.

Intel owes Apple a debt of gratitude for pushing Intel's chips to be more power efficient. That level of performance out of a part that uses 15W is ridiculous. As a measure of performance, the old core 2 duo mobiles were 35W parts.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
www.nintendoplayers.com
How in the world are they getting 30% improvement (unless only in very specific scenarios)? Wouldn't that be the biggest processor performance leap in like a decade?

Seriously- the current 7700k beats my 2013 4770k by about 30%.

A 30% leap is equivalent to the last 4 years of Intel's development.

That said, it's far more "normal"- the rest of the industry has outpaced that. Apple's ARM processors have seen a 200% increase over the same time and NVidia's GPUs have seen 240% if you compare the 780 to the 1080.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I bristle when I see talk of a "pro" iMac. What horse manure. More of Apple telling customers what it needs rather than supply what is wanted. This isn't a ding on the iMac, but a Mini is so much more ideal as a lower end "pro" box. Personally, I like to customize my monitor set up and an AIO doesn't lend itself to that. Plus the Mini is easy to crack open -- though they kind of neutered that last gen. But I'd pay $1800 for a mini Pro with solid processor, GPU, and RAM capability. That is essentially what the entry level cheese grater MP was, just more customizable.

And the New updated MacBook Pros coming in June are outdated AF before they were even released LOL
That is true of all tech. If it weren't it would stagnate. It's been a long time since I've bought any expensive tech assured it would not be superseded, or even obsoleted, in 6-18 months. We aren't talking about clothes irons here. Also I wouldn't say a 1 year old computer is "outdated" any more than a 1 year old car.