Intel's Upcoming Coffee Lake Processors Up to 30% Faster Than Kaby Lake Chips Coming to Mac Notebooks

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 30, 2017.

1. zin macrumors 6502

AMD have managed greater increases with Ryzen. But they were starting from rock bottom, to be frank.

2. RickInHouston macrumors 65816

I agree with you. It's probably if all cores are firing. If it's doing a single core task, I bet the improvement is minimal and not noticeable. I replaced a 10 year old laptop with something hot off the assembly line and can't really say it's all that impressive. It just doesn't happen like it did back in the 1990's. Wow, back then there was a noticeable difference when you purchased a new machine! Today, not so much.

3. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

I think you're misreading me. I don't believe for a second that in general use the processors are 30% faster. I DO believe that in specific cases it is 30%+ faster, however.

4. CmdrLaForge macrumors 601

CmdrLaForge

5. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

Yea, but wasn't that after like a 2+ year holding pattern of no real updates to begin with?

6. lysingur macrumors regular

lysingur

You have a problem with logical reasoning. And remind me what Intel has to do with Bluetooth and OLED technology again?

7. satchmo macrumors 68020

I wonder if Intel's claim of 30% leap in performance is in part to dissuade Apple not to go it alone with it's own chips.

8. rawweb macrumors 6502a

rawweb

Or could this potentially be in store for the 'modular' Mac Pro? Not sure what kind of heat is generated but it might need a larger thermal envelope than iMac's design with 18 cores kicking! Slick processor though!!!

9. Tirka macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, May 30, 2017 ---
    I'm still using mid 2015 15" with 2.8 Ghz i7,1 tb HD and ****ing love it .Not planing to upgrade it to this new touch bar jokes

10. unobtainium macrumors 68020

So when are we expecting Cannonlake now? Late 2018?

11. AdonisSMU macrumors 604

Im gonna laugh when Apple releases the new MacBooks and MacBookPros next week wih these chips. Then Im going to go pick one up and turn in my 2016 model.

12. The Mercurian macrumors 68000

I believe that is a permanently running thread now

13. Defthand macrumors 65816

A small display? I’m curious, why would you want a small display? A laptop would suffice. Us desk jockeys can’t seem to get enough screen real estate without pairing monitors.

14. kemal macrumors 65816

kemal

15. kevinkyoo macrumors 6502a

kevinkyoo

With how they're designed right now? Doubt it. The iMac's thermal throttle with the current chipset. They'll need a redesign in the chastity and fan to handle a more powerful CPU. Same thing goes with the 13".

16. CmdrLaForge macrumors 601

CmdrLaForge

Funny thing for me as well. And now as it is on the horizon I am looking to switch to the 15" again because I would like to have the screen real estate....

17. iop macrumors 6502

So... we're talking year 2021 right? They will also add two vertical touchbars, and the cost will be $6,599 for the 13" model...

18. johnnie dehuff macrumors newbie

im holding off getting a macbook until they switch to NVIDIA grapics

19. leman macrumors G3

They use the latest CPUs that were available in October 2016, when these MacBooks were released. The 7920HQ was announced around 2 months later and did not really became available in bulk before much later I believe? The XPS with 7770HQ didn't really ship in large numbers until what, March? So yeah, if Apple updates to Kaby Lake in early June, they won't be too late for the party, given the constrained initial supply.

20. boast macrumors 65816

boast

Best case scenario, this gets released March 2019?

21. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

I could definitely wait another year for the 13" MacBook Pro. Maybe by then it will also get a 1TB SSD and at a lower price point. But I usually carry around a little 4TB Raid 0 drive with my Lightroom catalog anyway. I've been wanting to pick up a 2TB external SSD that is a lot faster and more reliable, and then keep only my last 18-24 months in my catalog and archive everything else. But they're still so expensive! I'm also planning on upgrading to a much higher MP camera in the coming year, so that's going to make my file sizes skyrocket—especially since I'm looking at Sony mirrorless and they don't have true 14-bit compressed RAW. So any MBP I get will need to be able to handle processing a lot of large RAW files and possibly 4K60p video. I'm just not sure how much of the bottleneck I see on my current machine is from using a slower external drive vs. the system itself. Guess I need to do some tests!

22. lysingur macrumors regular

lysingur

It still doesn't negate the fact that the latest MacBook Pro is "outdated" and the yet-to-be-introduced MacBook Pro will have been as well.

23. unobtainium, May 30, 2017
    Last edited: May 30, 2017

unobtainium macrumors 68020

Even December is a stretch, I bet they make their way to MBPs by March 2018 or thereabouts.
    I plan to buy a Kaby Lake update (if it's really happening) and then wait for Cannonlake.

24. mi7chy macrumors 603

mi7chy

Apple only care about 30% profit margin selling outdated Skylake that they get for cheap from Intel.

25. leman macrumors G3

Why not? I mean, if talking about specific cases Intel could claim that Haswell were 100% faster than Ivy Bridge (which they never did). The benchmark they used is a general-purpose one. If they have implemented some new funky caching scheme + increased resources for speculative execution, 30% is not impossible.

Or, a more realistic explanation — they were probably testing multi-threaded code with a quad-core vs. a dual-core. Maybe they just found a way how to cool these things better and reach higher clocks even in a constrained TDP design.