Interesting theory from 9to5....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Agent-P, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

http://9to5mac.com/2011/09/27/how-t...up-in-the-hands-of-every-case-maker-in-china/

This would just be the ultimate mindf*ck! All of our theories down the drain. Not to mention all the angry people that wanted to see a redesigned iPhone 5. But at the same time, I can see this as being plausible. Think about it. The rumoured redesigned case looks a lot like the current iPod touch. In my eyes, the iPod touch looks much cheaper than the iPhone 4 (obviously it is, but it just seems like a lower end device). The iPhone 4 looks very classy and it looks like the money it's worth. Plus, in holding the iPod touch and the iPhone 4, the 4 feels much more like a high end device and not ridiculously light (it's hard to explain this since it's such a subjective thing). If Apple increased the case size for a bigger screen, redesigned the antenna slightly, and released that as the iPhone 5 then the new shape would be reserved to make the low end iPhone look very obviously different from the more expensive model.

As for the second quote. We've only seen leaks of the A5 processor in a case that looks like the iPhone 4. Granted this may be Apple doing an excellent job at avoiding leaks, but it's still a possibility since none of us knows anything for sure. I'm not saying this is for sure, I'm just relaying what I've read and what my though process is.

Your thoughts?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

My thoughts are your opinion about what "feels" and "looks" expensive is subjective and to me, silly. So something that feels like an iPod Touch is "cheap"?

I'm not fond of the increased width coming from a Droid X, the larger screen is nice to work on but a bitch in the pocket. I don't care what happens, if the iPhone 4 is more desirable to me then that's what I'll buy since I'm now out of contract.

3. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

4. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

People who already own an iPhone 4 will likely want to upgrade to the powerful model, not the cheap one, which would be more targeted at people who don't currently own an iPhone (or a smartphone at all).

I think people who had the iPhone 4 for over a year already will want their new one to look different. They will be specially pissed if only the new adopters (those who buy the cheap iPhone) get a new case, since it would technically not even be new for them, while the previous iPhone 4 owners get something physically identical.

5. AIP5 macrumors 6502a

I highly doubt this is the case. However, it doesn't seem impossible. Having an A4 chip inside and same amount of memory would probably make it cheaper to produce and target those low price points.

But here's the thing. If it indeed does have a large screen, and is meant to be that glorious thing it is rumored, then I'll be first in line for it! Why pay more when you could pay less for an equally amazing product? The only thing I'm guessing you miss out on is the voice features (which I'm guessing requires the A5). Sounds really cool, but not enough for me to warrant buying the 4S for a higher price than such an astoundingly thin and sexy looking (and apparently cheaper) 5.

Overall, an interesting theory. But I highly doubt it. I think Cook's debut will be marked with one of the most innovative products that Apple puts out: a redesigned, and incredibly thin iPhone 5. (Ironically, it will have SJ written all over it).

6. SooneratND macrumors regular

The problem with this theory, in my mind, is why the hell would Apple put the larger screen in the lower end device?

7. Agent-P thread starter macrumors 68030

Agent-P

They can put a bigger screen on both of them. What's stopping them from keeping that the same on both?

8. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I don't even know where to get started, but I'l try.

Why the heck would Apple redesign and spend money in developing a different iPhone form factor to house the internals of an iPhone 4. That's just bloody stupid. I could keep going on, but I'm just going to stop there.

Sounds like 9to5 is just trying to produce more articles to get more attraction. Well, good for them, because I fell for it.

9. AIP5 macrumors 6502a

After some thought, this theory seems even more unlikely. It's actually extremely unlikely.

Here's why: Many of the rumors/reports are floating around that Apple manufacturers are having a hard time manufacturing this redesigned iPhone 5. This is in addition to the Foxconn CEO complaining that Apple products are hard to manufacture due to their thinness (of course, he could be referring to any of the Apple products, but given that IPhone 5 is supposed to be incredibly thin, this was probably his main source of complaint). Furthermore, 9to5Mac themselves ran a story that there might be shortages of the redesigned iPhone 5 lasting up to 2012 due to these exact manufacturing difficulties (and more with Wintek's screen bubble).

Now here is where this theory loses ground. Apple is supposed to be manufacturing these "low-end" phones for "low-end" markets such as China. Given that their potential customer range in China is in the 10's of millions, they'd want a "low-end" iPhone that's not only easy to manufacture, but can be manufactured quickly to push them out into those markets. Enter, the iPhone 4S. Now, given that iPhone 4 is not seeing any type of shortages or delays, it can be expected that the iPhone 4S (if it indeed retains the same external, with the internals acquiring a speed upgrade) would be just as easy and fast to manufacture. This would allow Apple to sell the "low-end" iPhone device easily and make even higher profit from a lesser margin, simply by selling more (very un-Jobsian, but very Cook-ian. I think it was Cook who said that iPhone should be for everyone, and not only for the rich).

So basically, from a manufacturing perspective, this theory seems extremely unlikely: Why would you manufacture a device that is so damn difficult to make and probably costs the manufacturers and Apple more (due to faulty manufacturing or other problems) to be the low-end device? You'd want that to be the high-end device. You'd want last year's iPhone, from which you have plenty of experience manufacturing (thus less faulty manufacturing) and the key aspect of speed in manufacturing, to be the low-end iPhone.

10. Bkfraiders7 macrumors member

My Predictions (hey, Im not making a new thread for my prediction -this is not intended for agent p..he seems cool)

There will be a redesigned iPhone 5 (i.e., new form factor, bigger screen, 1GB RAM, A5)

There will also be a "4S". Now, why would Apple release a "new" iPhone 4 instead of creating a new one? Well, Antenna debacle. Also, why WOULDNT Apple create a "new" iPhone 4 that would increase the margin from cost to sell. According the the huffingtonpost, it costs Apple $187 to make the IPhone 4. If they can shave off just $50 then that would greatly help their bottom line. And face it, after 16 months they can and will.

11. kmanmx macrumors 6502

I disagree with this whole idea.

The idea of making a new design, and then also making it the 'cheap' iphone seems pretty absurd. All this R&D costs of designing a new product, only to have it as the bottom end product. And then spend far less on the higher end product, just put some fast hardware in it, and call it your reference end product ??

It's totally backwards and illogical.

The other rumours are far more likely, the iphone5 hardware is being tested in the iPhone4 body for two potential and likely reasons:

1) To keep the Ip5 design secret
    2) You can test the hardware much longer, as the IP4 body will of course been immediately available. Otherwise they would have to finalise the IP5 body before they could even test the hardware inside it.

12. Nachoconqueso macrumors regular

Yeah this is stupid. I think this is your new iPhone: Alum backing, A5, 1GB ram, bigger screen, insanely thin design, and all the software goodies. The only thing I'm wondering is how "edge to edge" is an edge to edge screen really and will it include LTE. LTE isn't a deciding factor for me so if it has the above I'll be getting one in white most definitely. Also, how the eff did they manage to fit in the battery, screen, memory, and all other accompanying hardware into that tiny design? The cases look so thin, but not too thin for me.

13. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

I think I am the only one on mac rumors who doesn't care about the outside of the next iPhone.

New specs inside an iPhone 4 like case? Cool with me, I think the iPhone 4 still looks pretty sweet.

New specs inside a new case design? More than likely also cool with me.

NEW SPECS- you guys with me? I wanna know what the new phone can DO not so much what it looks like.

14. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

I'm still confused about the whole "lower end phone" thing. Why do people not grasp that the iPhone 4 is already the lower end model, there's no need to make another one. Weren't people predicting 2 new models last time around too? Look what happened, the top of the line phone becomes the second best, it's logical.

15. AIP5 macrumors 6502a

I agree that it's quite logical that's what would happen. But what the rumors are saying is that last year's iPhone 4 will be even cheaper now than it's supposed to be (say $49 with contract) if it were to be the 2nd model. The 2nd in line model would be the iPhone 4S (maybe $99 with contract). And the 1st in line, of course, the iPhone 5 ($199 with contract).

The difference this time might be that iPhone 4S is for people who can't afford the iPhone 5 (unlocked iPhones that is), but want a phone that's packing speed and a better camera. Or it's for people who like the iPhone 4's mini-brick design over the teardrop/tapered design of the 5. (It is after all the best selling iPhone).

It's a brilliant move if they end up doing so. They can capture significant consumer surplus that way. Consumers who like the design of the 4 but want a faster processor/better camera can get the 4S. Consumers who like the design of the 5 or want the latest and greatest can get the 5. And those who want the cheapest iPhone available can get last year's 4 at 8GB. That way, they capture 3 different varieties of consumers.

Anyway, that's what I'd do. No idea what Apple will do of course.

16. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

The WSJ said that the next iPhone would be thinner and lighter. I'm really hoping to see the following:

1) Bigger screen
    2) Rounded-type edges
    3) fixed antenna

and the rest are all specs.

But it makes no sense to make the teardroped iPhone, the low cost, because that's the design most people will want.

Hmm..this is weird. But regardless, i'm buying the next iPhone and will sell it for the next time the iPhone is redesigned.

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I agree, its nonsense.
    Redesign the whole thing to sell it as a low end model with a bigger screen?
    Yeah right.
    Sell the old model type for more and the new design for less and call the new low end/cheap model and the old new?

18. Agent-P thread starter macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Don't shoot the messenger. I'm just telling you guys what I read and what my thoughts were as a read it.

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nothing towards you bro, just stating an opinion towards that particular hypothesis that's all.

20. Maschil macrumors 6502a

Maschil

personally i never understood the attenna problem on the iPhone 4... what exactly is it??? LOl i have an otter box case.... is that freeing me from this issue????

21. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

If Apple redesigns the next iPhone with an Aluminum backing, wouldn't that mean there'll be an ugly black strip for the 3G? I really hate that.

22. iEnvy macrumors 65816

iEnvy

You have to remember that Apple puts the element of aesthetics into their products. It wouldn't make any sense to have the higher-end product not have a redesign.

23. Muad'Dib macrumors 6502

With the latest story crediting the market rise to Apple's announcement, my thinking is that this is what happens when a bunch of kids run a blog.

24. Agent-P thread starter macrumors 68030

Agent-P

That's what I'm afraid of. I would love for the iPhone 5 to take design cues from the iPad 2, but I wouldn't want it to have the ugly black plastic the 3G iPad 2 is forced to have.

25. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Unless they find a way to keep the antennae as a part of the body (hopefully with less of the issues seen on the iPhone 4 though).