Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnalan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 15, 2009
Dublin, Ireland
Hi,

I have an issue I've been seeing since Catalina rolled out on my 16inch MBP.
I don't see it on my 15inch MBP.

This issue:

On trying to reboot Catalina (the issue never occurs during use, only on reboot), after some time in use not always, the reboot process takes 5/6 minutes, then I see an error like this when the system comes up:

panic(cpu 2 caller 0xffffff7f88f3aaae): watchdog timeout: no checkins from watchdogd in 185 seconds (719 totalcheckins since monitoring last enabled), shutdown in progress

It's infuriating.

Many folks seeing the issue:

Catalina crashing at shutdown: "watchdog timeout: no checkins from watchdogd"
I have an iMac late 2012 with 24GB or RAM and 3 USB disks connected to it, all running time machine in sequence. After updating to catalina, every time I shutdown the system it takes ages to shutd...
apple.stackexchange.com
apple.stackexchange.com

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251234777 (148 people here)

It's so annoying, I have tried everything, SMC reset, PRAM zap, checked loaded Kexts using `kextfind` and compared across multiple machines, not using any non-apple kexts.

I have applied combo versions of 10.15.6 (19G73), etc etc, it keeps occurring randomly.

I also have windows installed using bootcamp, and see no issues ever on reboot.

Is a full OS reinstall the only solution? I don't even believe it will stop the problem...

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.