Internal Model Numbers for Next-Generation iPhone and iPod Touch Reportedly Surface

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Engadget reports that an internal model number for Apple's next-generation iPhone ("N89") has apparently surfaced in the the new iPhone SDK 3.2 that was released alongside the introduction of the company's iPad tablet device.
Buried way inside the platform simulator lies a set of folders dedicated to specific models of iPhone OS-ready devices, including the iPhone 3GS, second generation iPod touch, something called the "K48" (yep, the codename we were told was the internal name for the iPad), and... the "N89." Sure, it sounds like a Nokia phone just waiting to happen, but this is -- according to our extremely knowledgeable and trusted sources -- likely the codename of the next iPhone (previous versions were called the M68, N82, and N88).
In addition, a similar entry entitled "N80" has also appeared in Apple's just-released iPhone OS 3.1.3 and reportedly corresponds to the next-generation iPod touch.
Interestingly, Apple's just released firmware (3.1.3) also includes another new model, the "N80," which we're told will most likely be the next version of the iPod touch.
Several previous reports had claimed that the iPad was carrying the internal model number "K48", which appears to have been the case. One of those earlier reports had also claimed, however, that the next-generation iPhone carries internal model number N90 instead of the N89 discovered in the iPhone SDK 3.2.

Article Link: Internal Model Numbers for Next-Generation iPhone and iPod Touch Reportedly Surface

roocka

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2007
Indianapolis
I'll be happy when I see the specs

They better bring the pain if they want the stock price to rocket forward again. Give me an excuse to upgrade my phone..

ct2k7

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2008
London
Wow, erm yeah, give me a reason to upgrade this 1st generation and I might get it, of course, at a good price.

puffnstuff

macrumors 65816
Jan 2, 2008
Still got my iPod touch 1G never saw a point in getting the 2G and really did not see a point in the 3G

I would like to note that the current iPod touch is listed as Late 2008 the only other time Apple did that was with the classic before it had a major update.

So maybe 4G will be worth it.

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
I have no idea what Apples codenaming conventions are, but couldn't this be the 3g ipad? Maybe "n" based code names are for 3g products, etc.

On the other hand I can't wait for June/July.

WLS

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Still got my iPod touch 1G never saw a point in getting the 2G and really did not see a point in the 3G

I would like to note that the current iPod touch is listed as Late 2008 the only other time Apple did that was with the classic before it had a major update.

Lets hope so. I kinda felt the Ipad WAS the next generation Touch and that development on the Touch would stop. If there is going to be another generation it could be very interesting. I would love to see a 6 or 7 inch screen. I recall a rumor that said those were being worked on. Again lets hope!

Decrepit

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2007
Foothills to the Rocky Mountains

I skipped the 3G, but did go for the 3GS, and have been very happy. Now if AT&T could get on the ball.

I'm seriously considering purchasing some long term puts on AT&T's stock just in case they crater when another carrier in the USA gets the iPhone.

dolbinau

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2006
Australia
Oh noes.

If the new iPhone/iPod touch is in the 3.2 SDK, then does this mean 3.2 is not iPad only, and the new models may ship with 3.2?

Look like 4.0 is a long way away.

puffnstuff

macrumors 65816
Jan 2, 2008
Lets hope so. I kinda felt the Ipad WAS the next generation Touch and that development on the Touch would stop. If there is going to be another generation it could be very interesting. I would love to see a 6 or 7 inch screen. I recall a rumor that said those were being worked on. Again lets hope!
Hmm I never thought about that but it could be so.

I'm hoping for 5" because it would still be pocketable

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
I thought the new iPhone was reported to have the model number of: 3,1 as the 3GS was 2,1? There was an article on MacRumors near the end of November on it showing up in app analysis from san francisco.

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
Oh noes.

If the new iPhone/iPod touch is in the 3.2 SDK, then does this mean 3.2 is not iPad only, and the new models may ship with 3.2?

Look like 4.0 is a long way away.
Numbers don't mean anything. They could go from 3.2 to 4.0. Just because it's not all the way to 4.0 doesn't mean we won't see a new slew of features before that.

quadG5guy

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2010
Richmond, VA
Who cares about model numbers? We know a new model is coming. Specifications are a useful rumor. Release dates are a useful rumor. Model numbers are not.

the-oz-man

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2009
Despite what's been previously said in this thread, I for one am excited about this news as I am a 3G owner. It just demonstrates the long and well thought out product testing and trial by Apple. Keep it up!

dolbinau

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2006
Australia
Numbers don't mean anything. They could go from 3.2 to 4.0. Just because it's not all the way to 4.0 doesn't mean we won't see a new slew of features before that.
It just seems strange that if 4.0 were to follow the 3.0 and 2.0 cycle, why would there even be support for 3.2 on the new devices (just as the iPhone 3G devices started from 2.0 and didn't support 1.X etc.)

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
I said before the holidays that Apple would do a quick refresh to add the lost camera to the iPod Touch after the new year! They wouldn't do it too soon because all the people that bought them for Christmas would be PISSED! But they also, won't wait an entire year just to pop a camera in it when it was intended last time anyway.

Now can they please get the camera that we all know is already worked in on the iPad before its release as well! :rolleyes:

Also Apple, you need to start updating the iPhone on a 6-9 month cycle now or else you are going to be getting behind the competition! One year isn't going to cut it anymore! :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.