Internet Riot/Revolt on Digg

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by lu0s3r322, May 1, 2007.

1. lu0s3r322 macrumors 6502a

For all you fans of Digg.com have you seen what's been going on there lately with that HD DVD hex code leak?

Diggnation, the podcast was sponsored by HD DVD and people are getting banned for submitting stories with the hex code in it.

Hundreds of Digg users are revolting and posting spam like crazy and almost every front page. It's almost like an internet revolt. I've never seem anything like it.

As for myself, I don't really care about HD DVD at the moment because I'm a kid and I can't afford stuff like that but I believe Digg did the right choice. They have to obey what is right.

2. janey macrumors 603

janey

it's retarded. one more reason to not frequent digg

FYI, it has nothing to do about what is "right" or not. It's that Digg staff are the people running and owning the servers. They can do whatever they want, and if people don't like it, they can go elsewhere. The reaction to Digg's actions is utterly stupid.

3. NoOneButMe macrumors regular

I'll probably move back to /. because of this.

I honestly dont care about HD-DVD either, but if the Digg community goes heads over heals and spams about it destroying the rest of the site for a time, then there's something wrong.

Plus the users completely ignoring the site owner's wishes doesn't help win any points for Digg's community..

Interesting to watch it happen at first, a mass of people joining in and rushing to the same topic, but it got old quickly :\

4. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

Yeah, I've never cared about digg, nor have I ever. This is probably the second time, and last time, that I've visited their waste of time site.

5. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

Digg shows the world how absolutely demented the ineternet community as a whole is. I'll admit it, I love digg. Reading some of the comments (especially in the past 2 months) has led me to believe that digg is headed right down the toilet.

I went on digg tonight to find some interesting stuff to read, not to see a bunch of idiots posting a stupid hex code all over the front page. If I really wanted the code that bad, I would just google for it.

Edit: Let's say Apple sponsored MacRumors (That'll be a cold day in hell), and some idiot posted a key to unlock OS X on beige box PC's... what do you think would be the smart thing to do? I'd say to remove the offending article. Of course digg is going to respect thier sponsors.

I hate digg right now, not because of getting rid of articles that post the key, but because of the idiots who are ruining it for everyone.

6. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

it's pretty crazy.

What's ironic is that they can't do anything about it. By the nature of their site, the masses rule. As long as there are enough of them, the only other option is to lock down the site, and then the whole site screeches to a halt.

they just have to wait it out.

arn

7. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Freg3000

Hmm, I would have thought there'd be more support for the Diggers here on MacRumors, but I can understand why there isn't.

I think most of them are fighting over the censorship, not a denial of their right to piracy. Anyway, founder Kevin Rose said he is going to speak about it on the next Diggnation so we'll find out whats's going on then I guess...

:confused:

8. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Censorship? It's a privately run company. They can do what they want, when they want, however they want with their servers and the data contained there-on.

9. shecky Guest

shecky

i am not really sure where i stand on DRM-ish stuff, but i think this is absolutely hilarious; nothing like a mob mentality when you do not have any fears of a real mob such as getting arrested, sprayed with fire-hoses, or otherwise getting the crap beaten out of you with nightsticks.

10. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

Just out of curiosity, what can be done with these numbers anyways? The only thing that I have found is that it would allow linux users to watch hd dvds? But even that I don't understand.

11. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I really don't go to the site but it looks to be a downfall of a good info site....unless digg do something fast.

Bless

12. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

I'm just waiting for the internet tubes to explode as a result of this... or something along those lines.

13. killr_b macrumors 6502a

killr_b

No, it's censorship. Whether one person uses a black marker or a whole media conglomerate choose to ignore/ remove/ block any info whatsoever, you are censoring the data/ media/ facts, ect.

I don't care if you privately own the servers, ect. By your censorship of certain elements you become biased and unbalanced.

You are either for freedom of speech/ the press, ect. or you are for censorship. There is no grey area. You censor things, and because of such actions even one time become biased, or you don't.

Some people who don't have/ understand having a first amendment may not get it that it is indeed censorship…

MR is a censor also, FWI.

14. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

IMO, digg has been going downhill for the last few months:
    Nothing but n00bs calling other people n00bs and jokes about their mothers;
    An environment that is hostile toward women, making it nearly impossible for women to post without getting harassed;
    pictures of scantily clad women getting dugg up, while stories with real merit sit in the gutter.

I hope that this all blows over in a few weeks--I enjoyed digg before it turned into this.

15. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

Sadly this is true. I was just saying to "well no, there is a grey area.. because sometimes you need to..." then it clued it, yes you are either for freedom of speech or against... even being against it in some circumstances is still being against it.

16. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

If you are using the dictionary definition of the verb "to censor" as "to selectivley prevent some written material from being published" then of course you are right, and proof reader is a censor by that definition when they correct an author's bad grammar.

But I suspect you are using the perjorative sense of the word censorship, which like discrimination, liberal, and conservative, have acquired bargeloads of hidden meaning, mainly that it is unacceptable in a 'free' society to censor or discriminate. Which is a load of bollocks. If that were the case, television, radio and newspapers would be unwatch/listen/able because anything and everything regardless of interest, merit or value would have to be published.

Freedom of speech does NOT confer upon a media outlet the OBLIGATION to publish every iota of material that correspondents submit. Surely you will agree to that.

It also doesn't mean you can plaster a poster with your free expression onto a shop window, or a transit bus. Nor can you use a megaphone in a theatre to express yourself to the audience who is there to watch Pirates 3.

Digg, like every other website, has terms of use which the users of that website agree to in order to use it. It is just as applicable for restricting postings deemed to contain infringing code, as it is for restricting ads for blue pills or penny stock frauds.

And who said that any given website, newspaper or other media is obligated to be balanced and unbiased? The only person completely without bias is a person without any understanding whatsoever of the subject. That is the last person I would want to get information from on that subject.

Bollocks. You are introducing an absolutist and artificial ultimatum which invalidates your argument.

Furthermore, there are well established limits to free speech, based on that speech being harmful to society. The classic example is shouting "Fire!" in a crowded theatre and starting a panic. Hate literature. Incitement to riot. Disclosing of trade / national secrets. Slander and libel. Perjury. Conspiring to commit a crime. Uttering threats. Do I need to go on? In Diggs case, it quite clearly, from the events, is a case of a minority of people damaging the community through their abuse of the priviledge.

17. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

This reminds me of my year at Missouri Boys State. Steam was brewing between the candidates for state office and the mock highway patrol. During the governor speeches, one candidate started shooting his mouth off dropping all types of obscenities in front of the 1000 young men, American Legion, parents and siblings. His charisma was enough to rile up a good portion of the boys there and many people joined the crowd and stood up chanting along with him. All this because the speaker knew that the mock highway patrol couldn't actually punish him. Amazing what a leader acting in immunity and sheep can stir up so quickly.

18. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I'm surprised that people haven't gotten sick of posting these stories on digg yet. And really, what's the point? You're made about Digg making it so there is one article you can't read, so instead you riot and make it so thats the only article you can read? Seems like a real bad solution to a minor problem.

19. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I'm just having fun digging up all the stories that have that key in it (which I won't post out of courtesy to MR). I think this is hilarious, but I also think that this is going to scare the RIAA and the MPAA s***less. Honestly, even with mods, digg wasn't able to stem the tide. Sure, it may be a mob-mentality right now, but for the first time I think you'll see the MSM pick up on all of the hatred towards the MPAA/RIAA, and maybe the MPAA/RIAA will realize just how futile their policies are.

Hell, because I went and dugg (ergo promoting) all the front page storied on the HD-DVD key, does that mean that they are going to use the DMCA and send police over and arrest me? Because I suppose technically, theoretically, and legally they could:eek:

It could have been one story on the front page, but instead it's literally consumed an entire community due to digg's (/MPAA's) policy to censor in their "democracy"

20. noaccess macrumors 6502

Looks like someone even put together an OS X screensaver showing the encryption key or whatever it's called.

Edit: replaced link

21. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

While I do think that the digg.com owners are free to do what they wish with their own privately owned site, the whole purpose of the site is that users run what content goes through it, whether they agree with what's posted or not, ultimately its what the users post that has taken them where they are today.

They can censor anything they want, but its the users who will have the final say.

I don't know if that made any sense, but thats how I feel about the whole situation right now :eek:

22. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

I never cared for digg, so I'm quite enjoying myself seeing this pan out the way it has. Power to the people. Heh.

irmongoose

23. RamenBooko macrumors member

All this is getting really lame, and the people who loved visiting Digg daily are getting pissed. These HD-DVD douche bags need to grow up and let go. So freedom of speech? Could I just submit thousands of stories on being pro-Nazi and love to kill Jewish people?

No way, there's limits anywhere. And if it's one 16 digit hex key not allowed to be posted, then be it. If you don't like it, get the f*** out.

24. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

digg.com is down.down.down

[edit] back up now [/edit]

25. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

It seems to keep going up and down.

Wait a minute--- why do I even give a crap? I've only been on digg twice in my life! :p