Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Internet Tethering for AT&T Customers to Finally Arrive with iPhone OS 4.0?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

One item spotted in the latest iPhone 4.0 Beta is a new configuration page for Internet Tethering. The page alerts AT&T customers that in order to set up internet tethering, you need to contact AT&T at 611 or visit AT&T's website. The new message seems to indicate that AT&T may finally be ready to deliver tethering to U.S. customers.

Internet tethering was a feature introduced in iPhone OS 3.0 and is supported by many international carriers. It allows users to share their iPhone's 3G internet connection to other devices such as their laptops over Bluetooth or USB. AT&T, however, has been slow to roll out the feature to its customers due to concerns about increasing strain on their networks. iPhone 4.0 is due for public release this summer.

Article Link: Internet Tethering for AT&T Customers to Finally Arrive with iPhone OS 4.0?

gigidey

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2008
I don't see myself paying for this. I wonder if you can do bluetoth thethering with an iPad.

Comment

cycomiko

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
i can already tether where i am...

pity that i still have to bend over if I want any bandwidth

:(

Comment

jhip20

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2010
Just got off the phone with my guy at ATT corporate in Nashville and even with the tethering option enabled in the build, AT&T still does not supply it at this time.

I spoke with him further about the issue and he did say, and I quote, "...The most recent notes we have say that we are still working out issues with tethering on our network but we are trying to come to a solution fast as (here is the kicker) competing carriers will have the tether option soon."

So, im not exactly sure what that means and he didnt really know much else beyond that but there are many things we could assume from this info.

Comment

funnyent

macrumors regular
Dec 26, 2007
I really hope their pricing is not too outrageous. But what about all the people with Jailbroken iPhones? Will they still get tethering for free? I wonder if AT&T has any way to lock that down. :eek:

Comment

arian19

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
is it still possible to tether from the iphone currently? if so can anyone point me to the right direction?

Comment

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Just got off the phone with my guy at ATT corporate in Nashville and even with the tethering option enabled in the build, AT&T still does not supply it at this time.

I spoke with him further about the issue and he did say, and I quote, "...The most recent notes we have say that we are still working out issues with tethering on our network but we are trying to come to a solution fast as (here is the kicker) competing carriers will have the tether option soon."

So, im not exactly sure what that means and he didnt really know much else beyond that but there are many things we could assume from this info.

The tethering option is NOT in the build I just got from the dev. site.

Build 8A274b.

Comment

funnyent

macrumors regular
Dec 26, 2007
I don't see myself paying for this. I wonder if you can do bluetoth thethering with an iPad.

I've seen YouTube videos with MyWi on a jailbroken iPhone tethering to an iPad. If AT&T (or Apple) doesn't have that as an option I could see a lot more people jailbreaking.

Comment

ghostface147

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2008
10 bucks extra a month isn't a bad deal in my opinion. I doubt it will be that cheap though.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.