Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

h1w1nd

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2009
iPhone 3GS has option to turn teathering on/off? iPhone 3G firmware just has setup screen.

rkswat

macrumors regular
May 11, 2010
Great news for wifi ipad people

Tethering allows devices such as PCs and Laptops to connect to the internet if you are somewhere without a Wi-Fi Hotspot or Internet at home. You cannot tether a Wi-Fi Only iPad to an iPhone. But you could tether and iPad 3G to a computer, if the OS will allow for it. Sorry to burst anyone's virtual bubble.

I'm assuming MyWi is a glorified Internet Connection Sharing app for JAILBROKEN devices only. I answered a question, that did not concern jailbroken devices. Go rogue if you want...that's your deal, not mine. I'm just speaking the truth to the question that was asked...not implied!

Well it's not really a "glorified" internet sharing app, it turns your phone into a hot spot.

Look at your statement.... you clearly say "You cannot tether a Wi-Fi Only iPad to an iPhone.", which is not a factual statement regardless of which question you where answering. I stand by my original statement.

Kevenly

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2008
The wrong planet.
Tethering should have always been there since Apple added the ability to the OS and there should be no additional charge. If I pay $60 a month for an unlimited data plan, it should make no difference if that data is going to software on my laptop or on my phone.

Eosblue

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2008
The rate I was quoted by AT&T for international data roaming in the UK was $0.0195/kb. So given my usage, without the plan I'm looking at a $400 for the 8 days I'm gone whereas the plan lowers it to $24.99.

Furthermore, the customer service rep said both the global voice and data packages are pro-rated by the day. So, if I activate them in the airport on Saturday and then cancel them on the Sunday I return I'll only pay about $6.66 (($24.99 / 30 days)* 8 days of usage) for the data and $1.59 for the voice.

2 points, one it's always cheaper to go with ATT's int'l data plans. However, I don't think it is prorated in a linear fashion. IF you use 10 MB of your 20 MB plan in whatever 1/4 of a month is, you will pay more than 1/4 of $24.99 (probably half the $24.99 rate since you used half of the 20MB.

Also, be careful about starting service at the end of your billing period. For example, if you were to start your plan 2 days before your billing period ends and then continue your trip 6 days after the end of your billing period, you will be charged for 2 months service on a prorated basis. I got burned on this one and now make sure I start my int'l data plans on the first day of my new billing period even if it means I'm 2 or 3 days into my trip.

Also, it's a good idea to cancel the plan as SOON as you hit US soil or it will continue to "tick". While I'm all for tethering, it certainly is NOT the answer for surfing the net on your computer while on an int'l trip. You will VERY quickly go over your plan limit. Also, it's VERY important to turn off roaming when you're not using it on one of these plans. Otherwise, you're going to "meter" extra data that will zoom up your total.

The other point is go install Skype if you haven't done so. All you have to do is find a free wifi signal floating around somewhere and connect to it. Then, you can make int'l calls back to the states or anywhere in the world for around 2 cents a minute. About a year ago I made several calls back from Greece with this method.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.