iOS 10.3 Beta Says 32-Bit Legacy Apps Will Not Work With Future Versions of iOS

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 31, 2017.

1. smacrumon macrumors 68020

smacrumon

Thank you! You absolutely get it! +100.
    I agree, Apple does have choices here. There's a really great text called 'About Face: The Essentials of Interaction Design'. Worth borrowing from a library sometime if you haven't come across it before. It covers the good and ugly of interfaces exactly as the example you describe.
    Have a great weekend, friend!

[​IMG]
    --- Post Merged, Feb 3, 2017 ---
    So my comment on this is that it's an awkward message, although it seems to be presumably an essential message for device/disk safety. There have been improvements though, in more recent versions of MacOS, this is now a notification, below. The notification reads better, isn't as intrusive and uses the button wording "Close" which makes more sense.
    [​IMG]
    I do suppose it is important to eject disks properly, BUT, ideally the operating system should be ready at anytime to handle the user removing any "disks" and for it to result in no damage to device or disk. That's where we want to head with the user experience. A lot of the thinking behind some user interactions and experiences are carryovers from the pioneering but outdated methods from the past.
    That's interesting. I was under the assumption that all purchased software could be re downloaded anytime from the purchased list in iTunes or in the App Store.

2. applezulu macrumors regular

Good lord. You asserted (repeatedly) that the currently-dead Steve Jobs agrees with your opinion, and wouldn't have approved of a warning that makes the user think about system maintenance only to then click "ok." I then demonstrated that you are absolutely and totally wrong about that, as the alive-at-the-time Steve Jobs let through a system warning that does exactly what you said he'd never approve. You chose to ignore all that and (again!) repeated your opinion about the issue, though you (probably to avoid the shattering cognitive dissonance) left Steve out of it this time. Enough said.

3. smacrumon macrumors 68020

smacrumon

Steve knew good software and good hardware, and changed direction when something better was presented. I don't think you read my posts properly or have missed the essence of the point I was making. Or maybe I didn't communicate it as eloquently as I should have. Borrow the book 'About Face: The Essentials of Interaction Design', you'll find it eye opening and informative on the possibilities of software design.

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

And apparently still had something that did exactly what he supposedly wouldn't have never hard.

5. applezulu macrumors regular

My reading comprehension skills are just fine. I understood your opinion the first time you offered it, as did probably most of the people who read it. I chose to take issue when you decided that repeating that opinion wasn't enough, but that it would be necessary to assert an endorsement from a dead person. I offered evidence that, at least when he was still alive, the dead person signed off on the very thing you claimed he would abhor. My reading comprehension skills are actually so good that I can tell you're still not even willing to admit your error in claiming the deceased's endorsement.

So I'll offer it up this way: Picture your originally stated opinion on this issue as a dialog popping up on people's screens, with buttons for "respond" and "ok". No matter which of the two someone chooses, you still pop up a new dialog with the same thing in it. After people click either option a few times, repeating the identical process, the wording in the box starts adding "But Steve Jobs!" to the original language. One time, I clicked "respond" and typed in "nope, not Steve Jobs," and the box kept popping up, first without Steve Jobs, but then sneakily adding back in "but Steve Jobs eventually, if he had a chance to really think about it."

In my experience, when stuck in an endless loop, there should be no more expectations of something different happening, and sometimes you just have to go ahead and mash down that power key and wait for a re-boot.

6. smacrumon macrumors 68020

smacrumon

Sorry, CDM. It's often difficult to understand your replies. Maybe I'm missing the sarcasm.
    Or just press the stop button, fix the problem, press play again. No need for a reboot. I addressed the issue in my follow up reply earlier.

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

Seems like most don't have any issues understanding my posts. In the occasional cases when that does happen there's often something more to it on someone else's side. But that's alright, such is reality.

8. smacrumon macrumors 68020

smacrumon

No, in this case there's nothing more to it. Seriously though, check out that book at a library near you. You'll form a completely different outlook on user interactions and understand there are much better ways of doing things. Alternatively, stare at the screen and take it all in without questioning anything. Ironic how things switch place.
    [​IMG]

9. C DM, Feb 3, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2017

C DM macrumors Westmere

Still going in the same circles about what has already been addressed.

10. smacrumon macrumors 68020

smacrumon

:apple: > Shutdown

11. applezulu macrumors regular

...and we have a winner!

12. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

You can't usher in a new world order without first doing away with the current world order.

I am all for any move which keeps app developers on their toes and incentivized to constantly update their apps with the latest features and APIs.

13. manhattanboy macrumors 6502a

manhattanboy

Of course 100,000 of those is something like:
    }

I'm joking of course, but Swift seems much stricter in error tolerance and generally that is a good thing for security and keeping programs from crashing. I still would prefer a release of OS X with no new features added and the underlying architecture cleaned up from bugs over a new release with yet more features and random color changes.

If Apple sends out another buggy release with more useless features and touch gestures, the one gesture I will be tempted to use involves my middle finger :D

14. crashoverride77 macrumors 65816

Yeah I wouldn't mind a full on OSX cleanup as well, its not going to happen tho. Who knows what happens with the Apple file system, I having been hearing positive things from the iOS 10.3 beta.

15. Kastellen macrumors newbie

That's my thought. I will be evaluating which apps I still want/need that will become unusable and then decide if I'm going to update or (probably) not. And then decide if I really need to update to the latest iPhone (no I don't), if it requires iOS 11, or whichever version dumped 32-bit.

I don't think that's what Apple wants, though, a bunch of users deciding to stop updating completely. Or buying new phones. Yet that's what happens with ultimatums. (Although I doubt "a bunch" will ever be enough for them to care.)
    --- Post Merged, Feb 13, 2017 ---
    Yes.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 13, 2017 ---
    And yet it's not all about you.

16. 2010mini macrumors 68040

Wish you the best of luck with your outdated security.

17. Kastellen macrumors newbie

Thanks, because SO MANY iOS devices have been compromised. Oh, wait, no they haven't.

18. 2010mini macrumors 68040

Uh, yes their have been compromised iOS devices before. Apple has sent out updates to address those issues. iOS is not invulnerable to hacking.

19. Kastellen macrumors newbie

I didn't say there were none, I said there weren't a lot of them. I'll take my chances, given that they are considerably less that the odds of getting struck by lightning in your lifetime.

20. pacorob, Mar 15, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2017

pacorob macrumors 65816

pacorob

Interesting research by app analytic company Sensor Tower which said that: 'Apple could kill almost 200,000 apps (8% of apps in App Store) with iOS 11' might possiblity no longer worker when you update your iDevices to iOS11 which is covered in this Mashable news post.

I did notice that Apple did warn the developer 30 days before they would remove an app to update their app back in September/October 2016.