iOS 10.3 Beta Says 32-Bit Legacy Apps Will Not Work With Future Versions of iOS

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 31, 2017.

1. C DM macrumors Westmere

Seems like warning users of potential bad performance or even something that won't work at some point is reasonable (and perhaps even good) if that's actually happening or will be happening. If you are taking about generically indefinitely supporting older legacy code and all that, that's a somewhat separate and different discussion (even if might be related).

2. pika2000 macrumors 68020

I guess he days of my iPhone 5 is getting closer.
    I never receive those warnings on the apps I use, so I guess I'm lucky. But then I have my "legacy" iPhone 5 to run those 32-bit apps if needed. ;)

3. C DM macrumors Westmere

It's likely/possible 32-bit devices won't really a be affected by this as they might not be getting the iOS update that would be 64-bit only (as that is likely what all of this relates to).

4. applezulu macrumors regular

You're trying really hard to have your cake and eat it, too. A key way that Apple has cultivated the it just works reputation is by doing exactly what they're doing here. They limit the variables. The OS is written for their own devices only. As new devices are rolled out, support for legacy devices is phased out. As a result, the number of hardware variables that must be anticipated by the OS is very defined and very limited. The same goes for software. The reason it just works is because Apple has never, ever tried to be all things to everyone.

Devices running iOS have only been in the wild for a decade. Despite the perennial belly-aching you read on this forum with every new update, the pace of innovation and improvement has been rapid. Even with that, the march toward 64-bit-only has been known and obvious for several years. Developers have had time to respond to it. The shift to a 64-bit-only framework is directly related to maintaining the it just works ethos. Apple is not going to hold back on that and sacrifice the leading edge to benefit poorly supported or unsupported apps on the trailing edge.

As for the the customer alerts, you think they're inelegant. Got it. You don't need to repeat yourself. Apple is going to drop support for legacy 32-bit apps, for the reasons stated above. They could either warn their customers or not warn them. I think it's much wiser to offer the heads-up. You don't. O.K., then.

5. ackmondual macrumors 6502a

ackmondual

Methinks one is putting a bit too much into the 32-bit vs. 64-bit part when determining value? So a 64-bit fart app has more value than a 32-bit productivity app?

6. Math889 macrumors 6502a

We all knew this will happen one day ....
    --- Post Merged, Feb 1, 2017 ---
    Answer your question :Yes ,64 bit app has more value than 32 bit .

7. OldSchoolMacGuy macrumors 68020

OldSchoolMacGuy

They should still sell leaded gas. The government should never have made people upgrade to current cars for the good of the entire ecosystem. Cutting leaded gas for those who need it is unnecessary.
    Apple has specifically banned fart apps for years per their review guidelines.

https://developer.apple.com/app-store/review/guidelines/

8. smacrumon Suspended

smacrumon

There's no reason to warn anyone if there's a well executed transition. It should just happen all behind the scenes unknown to the end user. That is elegant design. "Slow down" etcetera is ridiculous developer talk that end users should never see.
    Please see above.

9. I7guy macrumors G4

It's also way for consumers to contact app developers to show support they want the app to continue to be supported. Pressure from apple and pressure from users so that app developers will update the app. Seems reasonable.

10. smacrumon Suspended

smacrumon

Really, removing the code is a priority? Wouldn't effort refining Siri and other things be better time spent. This is just one way to kill devices and software early so users feel the need to upgrade.

11. I7guy macrumors G4

Since when do the devs refine Siri? Apple with 100,000 employees I'm sure can multi-task on this. Oh wait, the entire company was dedicated to emojis in ios 10.:rolleyes:

12. smacrumon Suspended

smacrumon

Nah, it's a completely awkward way to do it. Hate bringing Steve Jobs in to this, but he would have said this is a rubbish way to do this. This is completely the windows way to do things.

13. SeaFox macrumors 68020

SeaFox

Kinda hard to tell with new-age Apple fans. They seem to seriously think we need to get rid of all sorts of useful hardware interfaces on laptops and gain nothing of real practical value in return. So wanting to get rid of a bunch of apps to "clear up cruft on the App Store" doesn't feel like much of a stretch to me.

14. smacrumon Suspended

smacrumon

My point remains this is bad design. A super slick OS handles issues for users without their knowledge. Software released in 2013 certainly should still work in 2017. Please step back and stop defending a poor move by Apple.

15. I7guy macrumors G4

Okay, I disagree. To an earlier point about IOS not being bloated with supported mixed models, I can see why apple will want to do this. I'll stop defending apple, if you see my point of view. Deal?
    Jobs is no longer with us and Tim seems to be doing a fine job.

16. C DM macrumors Westmere

So they should disable support at some point and not even tell users about it (let alone warn ahead of time)?

17. smacrumon Suspended

smacrumon

My point remains this is bad design. A super slick OS handles issues for users without their knowledge. Software released in 2013 certainly should still work in 2017. Please step back and stop defending a poor move by Apple.
    Not at all. Just because Jobs is not here doesn't mean Apple should compromise on quality. This whole thing is ugly for end users.

18. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Assuming the developer's still in business.

But let's say they are. Couldn't Apple at least make it easier for me to petition the developer for an upgrade? I'd happily pay the developer a reasonable upgrade fee - even up-front - to encourage them to dust-off their dev system and get re-compiling.

But no. All I get is this unhelpful dialog box popping up when I'm in the middle of doing something more important. It's a dreadful user experience. Like DOS popping up the old "Error 53" message. What am I supposed to do with that when I'm walking through an airport, dragging my case behind me and trying to call an awesome taxi service I used 5 years ago when I was last in this city?

19. I7guy macrumors G4

Isn't this in the beta though? Nobody knows if it will be carried through to the final release. I haven't hit the message myself, though.
    Okay, I haven't hit the message myself, but I don't really see it as a bad thing. And as I just said, this may disappear anyway for the final release.

20. jdayellow macrumors newbie

What kind of apps do you guys use that constantly pop up this warning? I've never seen this on any of my devices.

21. smacrumon Suspended

smacrumon

The most important part is why must Apple "disable support" at some point. How pressing is this?

22. C DM macrumors Westmere

Again, that's a separate and different aspect of it than the messaging piece that was under discussion.

23. smacrumon Suspended

smacrumon

Actually, both are linked. And yes, I covered the messaging from the OS is a terrible UX. Any prompt that has just an "OK" button needs scrutiny as to whether it is really necessary to present it or not. In this case I suggest it clearly isn't if the OS was more better developed to transitioning customers silently.

24. C DM macrumors Westmere

If the change in the OS is hapenning where apps of that sort might potentially perform worse and at some point will not function then it seems that informing users of that seems more reasonable rather than hiding it.

25. smacrumon Suspended

smacrumon

Preventing it would be even better.