Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iOS 10 has now been available for just under a week, and its adoption rate has been growing at a steady pace over the course of the last few days. According to data gathered by Mixpanel, iOS 10 is now installed on nearly 34 percent of devices.

iOS 9 is still the most popular operating system, installed on 62 percent of devices, while just under 5 percent of devices continue to use iOS 8 or older.

ios10adoptionrate-800x439.jpg

24 hours after iOS 10 was released, it was installed on 14.45 percent of devices, slightly outpacing iOS 9 adoption rates in the year prior. iOS 10 includes many appealing features that encouraged people to upgrade immediately, like a revamped Messages app with stickers and a full App Store, a Siri API for developers, a redesigned Lock screen experience, a new Music app, new facial and object recognition capabilities in Photos, and more.

iOS 10 did, however, see some installation issues early on that may have made people wary of downloading the update, but those problems are now resolved and customers should see no problems downloading the new operating system.

Given iOS 10's steady growth, it could potentially overtake iOS 9 as the operating system with the fastest adoption rates. Last year, less than two weeks after it was released, Apple said iOS 9 was installed on more than 50 percent of active devices, the quickest adoption rates it had seen for an iOS update.

If iOS 10 adoption grows by another 16 percent over the next week, it should take the title of fastest adopted software update ever.

Article Link: iOS 10 Adoption Growing Steadily, Now Installed on 34% of Devices

Reactions: jjm3

Z3man

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2012
UK
Good update as long as you didn't download it in the first hour of release.

Still wondering what happened to the people who's crashed in the first hour but don't use iTunes, so could put it right.

pcmacgamer

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2013
Been running it for a few months now. Most the people I know haven't updated as they don't see any great new features that push them to upgrade. Aside from the messages app and photos app enhancements nothing of real value was gained in this update.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Ummm its interesting that only <5% of devices are iOS 8 or lower.
BTW how did this website manage to record 201,436,247,006 times. How many iOS devices is that and who is this mixpanel and what are they using to get the data?

frifra

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2008
Normally I would take a jab at Android... but this time iOS is so hot it's hotter than the Note 7.

:cool:
Nothing is hotter than the Note 7
samsung-galaxy-note-7-recall-fire-explosion-840x473.jpg

I also think that a lot of people changed because of an updated iMessage app - at least I did ;).

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Been running it for a few months now. Most the people I know haven't updated as they don't see any great new features that push them to upgrade. Aside from the messages app and photos app enhancements nothing of real value was gained in this update.

Somehow you haven't stumbled on the TON of other new features and welcome improvements outlined in iOS 10 reviews I've been reading. All those little things add up to far more for me than any one "headline" feature typically does.

Yeah, no way until they bring back star ratings in the Music app.

I'm tempted to agree! Luckily, star-based playlists still work, and you can still tell Siri to rate a song. But the UI controls are pretty central to how I rate and organize music. And in the UI where star ratings were, there is now... nothing. That functionality really should be restored. It was never in-yout-face-clutter, but it was there if you knew you needed it.

Zirel

Suspended
Jul 24, 2015

There we go again... what you use your phone for?

Widgets are better, Maps is better, unlock screen is better, keyboard is better, Safari is better, control center is better, there are so much much things that are better. On top of that, security updates.

The only reason not to update are those people that jailbreak so they can install pirated apps.

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013
Funny that the "Older" statistic is higher than the % of devices running the newest version of Android.

Funny but also sad/terrifying. How many people are walking around with their most valuable and personal information protected by a system with known unpatched vulnerabilities?

It's only a matter of time before actual hacking of ordinary civilian smartphones becomes commonplace. I'm thinking of hacking groups spread across the globe remotely hacking people in faraway places and gaining control of their lives. It's only a matter of time before those people become dangers to society at large.

It's only a matter of time before we're all Mr Robot.

Reactions: dennysanders

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
I always find it amusing how planned obsolescence is associated with iPhones yet their hardware is the longest supported in the industry.

It irks me in the same way how Apple are the only ones criticised by the media for using Chinese factories yet they are seemingly the only company of many to use said factories to be actively doing things to improve the working conditions there.

Kobayagi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
It's good guys! Runs very well, even on my 5s. I love the new widget screen.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I really wish Android updates were like this. For example my Nexus 6P is on Nougat, but my S7 Edge is still stuck on Marshmallow.

Reactions: chrismail627

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008

Plus they took away the genius button from apple music

Reactions: pcmacgamer
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.