Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trifid

macrumors 68020
May 10, 2011
I still can't over how Photos ditched iPhoto Events. I know they're in there somewhere, but finding them ain't intuitive. And I miss badly the ability to group and label batches of imported photos. It seems like the obvious thing people would want to do with their photos. (Am I missing some easy way to do this in Photo?)

I still can't believe Apple ditched Events, it seems so basic and yet so useful. Honestly I had no hopes for the Photos app, but this news sounds promising.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
Hallelujah! It's absurd that at this point, Photos can't even share its contents with Apple's own apps like Final Cut without ridiculous workarounds. Apple's apps give the laughable direction to "Open Photos if you want to see your photos". Its as if the software were released half-finished and then Apple moved on to other things.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
Ah...another os x "major glitch update." Let me tell you a story about el capitan..."Once a upon a time, there was a tech company, Apple, who used to have a decent os x upgrade every...Edit: year or nearly 2 year with a fee of 120 dollars. The last major and efficient OS X was SL. These days, they have been releasing os x each with minor features...but it was free. Free is good, right? Not really...especially when users had to update 10.11.0. Yeah.. They have the reputation of "bugging" users out by not reading our apple feedbacks...and providing use useless features....and again...siri and photo app."

I don't get you, Apple. It appears that you're focusing on photos lately..and you can't even beat samsung's latest camera.
Give us productivity...not entertainment.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_OS_X

Last edited:

Ted13

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2003
NYC
I guess I'll need to start making the move over to Lightroom, I can't imagine Aperture is going to keep working for me very well.
I tried that well over a year ago and found that I am much faster and more effective with Aperture. I'll be forced to do it one day, but untilI am forced, I continue to cling to Aperture.

Last edited:

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
Currently, if you drag a photo from the Photos App, to say, the Messages app, it takes MINUTES to complete. And there is no sign that it is doing anything. You have no idea if the app is working on what you wanted it to do, or if it didn't register at all.

brownpaw

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2010
Please give me back old iPhoto features like viewing a map with all geolocated photos. Also, the name iPhoto, because it's freaking impossible to Google search for help with problems when your app is named as generic as "Photos".

mr.bee

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2007
Antwerp, belgium
Kinda dissapointed, thought we were going to see much more for 10.12.

Siri and an update in photos app... I still hope they are hiding something huge.

hauntvictim

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2009
Orange County, CA

Photos-for-OS-X-iMac-250x238.png
Apple is working on enhancing the Photos app in both iOS 10 and OS X 10.12, reports Japanese site Mac Otakara. The apps will reportedly be updated with new features to put them on par with the now-discontinued iPhoto 9.6.1 for Mac and iPhoto 2.0.1 for iOS.

It is not clear exactly what features will be added to the apps, but Mac Otakara says iPhoto 2.0.1 included tools for editing EXIF information and touch-based brushes for adjusting brightness and other parameters on only specific parts of a photo. Similar editing tools could be added to the iOS version of Photos.

On OS X, the Photos app will see improvements, but Mac Otakara says Aperture-level functions will not be added to the app.

We don't have much information about OS X 10.12 and iOS 10 as of yet, but a recent rumor has suggested Siri integration will be a headline feature in OS X 10.12. Siri on the Mac has been a long-desired feature and the personal assistant will likely be able to do things like adjust system settings, answer quick queries, and open apps.

OS X 10.12 and iOS 10 will likely be coming in the fall months, but we can expect to see a preview of the software at WWDC 2016, which is typically held in June.

Article Link: iOS 10 and OS X 10.12 to Feature Improvements to Photos App
Hopefully it includes a proper way to hide photos.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
For the love of god, can I please just copy-paste settings between photos without going into edit mode for each one? Or apply copied settings to multiple selected photos. I really don't think I'm asking too much. Is Apple really so clueless they can't immediately see what a burden it is to touch up dozens or hundreds of photos for which 95% of the adjustments will be the same?

Last edited:

WinterWolf90

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2014
Whiten teeth would be good. more blemish tools as well. Editing is an nightmare in your phone because you need different apps to do it.

Reactions: XTheLancerX

crsh1976

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2011
I don't understand the point of sticking to annual updates if all they're adding are tweaks and minor improvements.

Also, Photos may be a stock app, but it's not actually part of the OS itself.

axantas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2015
Home
Oh yes, there is some potential, particularly photos on iOS. I am a bit tired to delete and resync everything from my iPad/iPhones, just because all the albums have again become garbled and folders get multi-multi-multi-multiplied with identical names, containing some photos from everywhere in my library. This appears to be an almost impossible task for Apple. The most interesting: If it becomes garbled again all devices get garbled absolutely identical.
And: Apple should add some decent sorting options, as actually no one really understands the sorting ahglomyrth (just use an algorhtyhm we do understand...)

Reactions: vjl323

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
#1 - Lock your phone?
#2 - I'm sure third party apps exist that allow you to do this.

I'm pretty sure you're in a minority of people who think this feature should be added.

nope everyone i know. thats not very representative of course.

locking phone wont help if u give it to someone to do something photo unrelated. yes there are 3rd party apps but thats not the same esp. with iCloud Photo Library plus it could be a choice ... ? id go even further, let me lock albums. everytime i want to show someone travel pics or sth and they swipe to far my heart goes like omg what did they see

i dont understand why there arent just toggles in the settings to lock whatever app you want to lock anyway

jmh600cbr

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2012
mac messages.app integration for photos and a complete iTunes redo like photos.app is my dream

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I like iPhoto better, also, having multiple photo libraries on the computer is confusing. When I tried to transfer iPhoto library to the Photo app, I kept getting errors.

It seems like it could have been smoother.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.