iOS 10 Beta 3 Tidbits: iOS 9-Style Touch ID Option, New Keyboard Sound, and More

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 18, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

With any major beta update, there are several small changes and tweaks as Apple aims to refine the operating system ahead of its public release, and iOS 10 beta three, seeded to developers this morning, is no exception.

Today's update, available as an over-the-air download for those who installed the first two betas or the beta configuration profile, features new Touch ID accessibility options, new haptic feedback when locking the iPhone, better keyboard sounds, and more.

We've rounded up all of the new features in beta three in the video below, so make sure to check it out to get a quick look at what's changed. We're also listing the changes in the post below.

Click here to read rest of article...

Article Link: iOS 10 Beta 3 Tidbits: iOS 9-Style Touch ID Option, New Keyboard Sound, and More

2. Aidyn's X macrumors regular

3. sapbasis, Jul 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2016

sapbasis macrumors member

sapbasis

I don't see Beta 3 in OTA yet. US East Coast.

Never mind. I haven't installed the profile yet. Hate it when I miss reading something!!!

4. -BigMac- macrumors 65816

-BigMac-

iOS10 is the first set of betas since iOS5, that i have downgraded from. Battery life has been absolutely shocking for me.

Shame, i really enjoy some of the new features

5. Cyroceon macrumors 6502a

Cyroceon

6. alexwmccabe macrumors newbie

I sincerely hope so, I've been having issues with lock ups whilst typing and whilst app-switching. I know I've installed a Beta, but I got too eager. Should've waited until Beta 3.

7. PipSeg Suspended

PipSeg

Just upgraded to beta 3 on my 6s+.
    Only took about 10 minutes or less.

8. rdlink macrumors 68040

rdlink

That's usually an indicator of a non-updated app that is having a problem with the new OS. While I don't have the patience for early betas anymore, I have friends who are running it and have had no battery issues.

9. spscott macrumors newbie

How does the public beta update, is it an OTA update like any other? I never updated to iOS beta 2 but I think that's the version the public beta started on. Hopefully tomorrow!

10. tjhilder, Jul 18, 2016

tjhilder macrumors regular

tjhilder

Touch ID could be used this way in Dev Beta 2 (Public Beta).

Just sayin.

11. Paradoxally macrumors 68000

That's very weird. I'd say your backup is screwed.

12. alirz, Jul 18, 2016

alirz macrumors regular

So this touch ID feature where you don't have to press the button to unlock the phone, is it available for iPhone only because I don't see the option on the iPad running iOS 9.3.2

EDIT: I think I might be mistaken . The option to unlock just by putting the finger on the home button without pressing it must have been an iOS 10 feature?

13. Johnny907 macrumors 6502a

Johnny907

Was going to install this as I usually wait for Dev 3 before trying new software, but from all accounts it is still a battery sucking buggy mess. Looks like I'll be waiting for Dev 4 this cycle.

14. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

I was also going to point this out, however it wasn't functional for me. Turning it on did nothing. Perhaps this will change that.

15. andrewsipes macrumors newbie

andrewsipes

Here is a dissenting account: iOS 10 DP III has been buttery smooth for me, and while battery life is slightly below par, it is generally understood that it will even out or exceed the battery life of the previous software version. YMMV.

Not sure if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but I noticed that sensitive information contained in widgets, such as activity data, is restricted until you Touch ID to unlock. It also appears that the padding between the Music peek and pop options have been condensed into one bubble. These may have been previous editions, but they stood out to me after updating.

16. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Whenever Apple decides to do it. Generally it's within a day or a few days of developer betas (once the public betas have started).

17. tjhilder macrumors regular

tjhilder

you're right, maybe it's mentioned in beta 3 because it actually works? I won't be able to test it until the public beta is out.

18. sapbasis macrumors member

sapbasis

I'm finding Beta 3 to be a little sluggish on iPad Air 2. Also seems that touch is more sensitive, if that is possible after an OS update.

19. jauhari macrumors regular

jauhari

Why Apple didn't implemented 3D Touch emulation on iPhone SE? This device use latest chipset that same on iPhone 6s and 6s Plus..

So enable 3D Touch emulation by replace Hard Press with Longer Press is good options, so iPhone SE users will be able to use latest 3D Touch features without any worries...

20. dmnc macrumors 6502

dmnc

The rest to unlock feature is exclusive to iOS 10, because that's default behavior in iOS 9.

21. lincolntran macrumors 6502a

lincolntran

I have great battery life on my plus. It's sometimes even better than iOS 9 on some days.

22. atlatnesiti macrumors 6502a

That is weird, my battery life is the same or tad better than on iOS 9.
    BTW; iOS 10 beta is probably the most stable beta ever introduced by Apple.
    PS; iPhone 6s+

23. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Because that's not really what 3D Touch is.

24. now i see it macrumors 68040

I must say that these quick iOS update videos that MR does are really great. Quick, to the point and the presenter speaks very well. Great job.

25. macrumors4leo macrumors newbie

Best part of the update was you mentioning that pokémon go is working better!