Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cheeseler

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2016
Hollywood
Just installed the certificate on my iPad Pro a day ago, and installed iOS 10 Beta 2. I'd love to upgrade but can not see the update yet.
Is it normal for certain models to see the update later than others?

bpcookson

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012
MA
iOS10 is the first set of betas since iOS5, that i have downgraded from. Battery life has been absolutely shocking for me.

Shame, i really enjoy some of the new features
Did you use the Photos app at all? Once it starts identifying faces it goes hog wild on your battery.

ibridget

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2008
Why do they not let us beta test the Apple watch software? I had the first developer beta and could not get it to load on my watch. It kept saying no updates found even after installing the profile. I didn't want any headaches so I downgraded but am currently using the public beta 10..still with no Apple Watch testing. How do they expect us to TEST the apps and ios, if we don't have access to it? o_O

gk4

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2010
Is the functionality of the lock screen pretty much set in stone at this late phase?

If so it's kind of annoying how in their desire to make 3D touch a more useful feature they're actively making the ui worse on non 3D touch devices.

Reactions: dysamoria

-BigMac-

macrumors demi-god
Apr 15, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
That's usually an indicator of a non-updated app that is having a problem with the new OS. While I don't have the patience for early betas anymore, I have friends who are running it and have had no battery issues.
It could be, I thought it might be too. Installed only facebook, messenger and Google Drive.
I have a feeling it COULD have been the facebook app, as it was crashing heaps back in beta 1 and 2 for me. To the point it wouldn't start majority of the time.
Mind uploading a screeny of your second home page? Want to compare the apps installed

That's very weird. I'd say your backup is screwed.
Shouldnt be an issue, i installed as new phone, and didnt restore from backup, is that what you mean? :)

I have great battery life on my plus. It's sometimes even better than iOS 9 on some days.
Thats scary that mine was so far off that mark compared to yours. do you mind listing/screenshotting your apps?

That is weird, my battery life is the same or tad better than on iOS 9.
BTW; iOS 10 beta is probably the most stable beta ever introduced by Apple.
PS; iPhone 6s+
I just havent really had that experience, glad its going amazing for you though :D

Did you use the Photos app at all? Once it starts identifying faces it goes hog wild on your battery.
I use the photos app quite a bit, is there an option to turn off face identification? That could be it.. I did try out the first beta for about 2 weeks though, surely the 6000 photos in iCloud didn't take that long to identify the faces?

That is weird, my battery life is the same or tad better than on iOS 9.
BTW; iOS 10 beta is probably the most stable beta ever introduced by Apple.
PS; iPhone 6s+
On 6S+ here too.. might give beta 3 a try, if we can figure out what it might be.. I think an unoptimized app i'm using could be the cause.. like some of the members suggested ^

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Is the functionality of the lock screen pretty much set in stone at this late phase?

If so it's kind of annoying how in their desire to make 3D touch a more useful feature they're actively making the ui worse on non 3D touch devices.
What's the issue there?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Why Apple didn't implemented 3D Touch emulation on iPhone SE? This device use latest chipset that same on iPhone 6s and 6s Plus..

So enable 3D Touch emulation by replace Hard Press with Longer Press is good options, so iPhone SE users will be able to use latest 3D Touch features without any worries...

If I am understanding your post correctly, I'm not sure if your aware of not, but Tim Cook said 3D Touch Was very difficult to implement into the 6s/6s Plus. The SE most likely would not have the real estate to incorporate 3D Touch with capacity limits.

BobVB

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2002
That's very weird. I'd say your backup is screwed.

I am using the public beta on an iPhone 6 with 128k of memory. I have 55K of pictures in the icloud. Took quite a while for them to sync, and it has been working for 10 days on the facial recognition and still has 8K to go before complete. The facial scan is supposed to only happen when plugged in and locked but I find even if on battery if I do anything in the ‘people’ album my iPhone gets very warm, rapid battery drain and the System app shows both CPUs at 80-100% load. I think any alterations even as simple as assigning a name causes a high CPU process to start and if you have done several they FIFO stack. My phone becomes slow and it drains from 100% to drained in just a few hours.

Its a beta, there are bugs.

Norbs12

Suspended
Apr 24, 2015
Mountain View, CA
I am using the public beta on an iPhone 6 with 128k of memory. I have 55K of pictures in the icloud. Took quite a while for them to sync, and it has been working for 10 days on the facial recognition and still has 8K to go before complete. The facial scan is supposed to only happen when plugged in and locked but I find even if on battery if I do anything in the ‘people’ album my iPhone gets very warm, rapid battery drain and the System app shows both CPUs at 80-100% load. I think any alterations even as simple as assigning a name causes a high CPU process to start and if you have done several they FIFO stack. My phone becomes slow and it drains from 100% to drained in just a few hours.

Its a beta, there are bugs.
Dang and I thought 16GB was small.

ZZ9pluralZalpha

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2014
Why Apple didn't implemented 3D Touch emulation on iPhone SE? This device use latest chipset that same on iPhone 6s and 6s Plus..

So enable 3D Touch emulation by replace Hard Press with Longer Press is good options, so iPhone SE users will be able to use latest 3D Touch features without any worries...

3D Touch uses a combination of pressure sensing and haptic feedback to produce the sensation of pushing deeper into the phone display. The iPhone SE lacks both the pressure sensing and the haptic feedback hardware of the iPhone 6s. That $250 difference had to come from somewhere!

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2004
LongPress has been part of iOS forever. This just proves that #1 they could've done this eons ago, #2 they could've done away with a mechanical home button like Steve wanted eons ago and #3 the home button will definitely be gone by iPhone 8 and it will be one piece of glass like it should've been eons ago.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
LongPress has been part of iOS forever. This just proves that #1 they could've done this eons ago, #2 they could've done away with a mechanical home button like Steve wanted eons ago and #3 the home button will definitely be gone by iPhone 8 and it will be one piece of glass like it should've been eons ago.
It's not the same thing.

hungx

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2012
Davis, CA
I was also going to point this out, however it wasn't functional for me. Turning it on did nothing. Perhaps this will change that.

you're right, maybe it's mentioned in beta 3 because it actually works? I won't be able to test it until the public beta is out.

The setting was initially added in beta two but wasn't functional.
The feature worked fine for me in DP2. You needed to press the home button and keep it there for 2-3 seconds before it would unlock. It would not unlock if you lifted your finger or pressed the sleep/wake button to wake the device. Apple reduced the time to unlock in DP3 and restored the unlock functionality of iOS 9.

Last edited:

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Why do they not let us beta test the Apple watch software? I had the first developer beta and could not get it to load on my watch. It kept saying no updates found even after installing the profile. I didn't want any headaches so I downgraded but am currently using the public beta 10..still with no Apple Watch testing. How do they expect us to TEST the apps and ios, if we don't have access to it? o_O

Are you a registered developer? If so, you can legitimally install and test the watchOS 3 betas without issue. There are no public betas of watchOS because you can't downgrade without sending your watch to Apple. There is no cable connection possible or DFU mode for a watch so a user cannot downgrade it. If you are a registered developer, have you installed the watchOS beta profile onto your watch, and not the phone? If you install it onto your phone, it will do nothing. Has to go on watch.

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK

Because that's not really what 3D Touch is.
If I am understanding your post correctly, I'm not sure if your aware of not, but Tim Cook said 3D Touch Was very difficult to implement into the 6s/6s Plus. The SE most likely would not have the real estate to incorporate 3D Touch with capacity limits.
3D Touch uses a combination of pressure sensing and haptic feedback to produce the sensation of pushing deeper into the phone display. The iPhone SE lacks both the pressure sensing and the haptic feedback hardware of the iPhone 6s. That $250 difference had to come from somewhere!

I think you're misunderstanding what jauhari is saying - he's talking about 3D Touch emulation on the SE, realising that the SE isn't capable of true 3D Touch but suggesting a long-touch alternative to achieve the same OS functionality.

Keane16

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2007

I think you're misunderstanding what jauhari is saying - he's talking about 3D Touch emulation on the SE, realising that the SE isn't capable of true 3D Touch but suggesting a long-touch alternative to achieve the same OS functionality.

What happens when you long press in places for 3D Touch that already have long press actions. For example home screen icons. Currently a long press makes them wiggle to allow for re-organisation and deletion. What would happen in a 3D Touch emulated world? Or how about long pressing on a link in Safari so it brings up the options to Open, Open in New Tab etc. There are lots of little long press implementations already in iOS.

And then when these people move onto future devices with 3D Touch they would have to forget the hack 3D Touch emulation and re-adjust to true 3D Touch.

As a non-3D Touch iPhone 6 user I'm happy to wait until I have an iPhone that does 3D Touch properly. It would be nice to have the new features, but emulating 3D Touch is just asking for unnecessary complication IMO.

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
I can barely cope with "final" releases. There's no way I'd use a beta that's actually an officially acknowledged beta product. Apple gets enough feedback reports from me on their buggy "final" releases.

If I had two compatible devices, didn't need one for everyday use, and was curious, I'd test a beta, but I don't even really do that with Mac OS (with Mac OS, I test "final" releases on an external drive so as not to mess with my boot volumes; can't do that on an iOS device).

Apple software quality is not what it was when they sold me on their ecosystem. Too much change for sake of change, too rapidly obsoleted, and buggy as hell.

Does Safari on iOS 10 still absolutely suck with text selection and autocorrect in page content/text edit fields? How about that bug with tab previews being utterly wrong (or blank)?? Never fixed in iOS 9.x.

Apple is becoming 90s Microsoft with regards to software reliability and consistency. As for GUI design... They've not gone as hideous as Windows 10, but it's pretty close. Such laziness in design since the flat fad arrived, and most people are still defending it. Every time I use my iPhone 4 with iOS 6.x, I'm amazed at the beauty and readability of it.

Reactions: cardfan

Keane16

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2007
I can barely cope with "final" releases. There's no way I'd use a beta that's actually an officially acknowledged beta product. Apple gets enough feedback reports from me on their buggy "final" releases.

If I had two compatible devices, didn't need one for everyday use, and was curious, I'd test a beta, but I don't even really do that with Mac OS (with Mac OS, I test "final" releases on an external drive so as not to mess with my boot volumes; can't do that on an iOS device).

Apple software quality is not what it was when they sold me on their ecosystem. Too much change for sake of change, too rapidly obsoleted, and buggy as hell.

Not sure when you were sold on the ecosystem, but it's been like this forever. All software can have issues. Apple has never been perfect, never will be.

If you were around at the turn of the millennium for the launch of OS X you'd be very thankful for the current stability. Apple's launch of OS X Cheetah made Vista look good.

As for GUI design... They've not gone as hideous as Windows 10, but it's pretty close. Such laziness in design since the flat fad arrived, and most people are still defending it. Every time I use my iPhone 4 with iOS 6.x, I'm amazed at the beauty and readability of it.

Opposite for me. When I see a pre-iOS 7 screen shot in my photo album I almost shudder. Great for it's time. But no thanks. I also have an iMac stuck on Snow Leopard and even that is inconsistent across the board. Personally much prefer where we are now, especially on Retina screens.

Reactions: rbgaynor

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
It could be, I thought it might be too. Installed only facebook, messenger and Google Drive.
I have a feeling it COULD have been the facebook app, as it was crashing heaps back in beta 1 and 2 for me. To the point it wouldn't start majority of the time.
Mind uploading a screeny of your second home page? Want to compare the apps installed

I don't have the dev build installed. As I said, I lost patience with early dev builds/betas, because my iPhone is a work tool, and I can't afford to have it be unstable.

But I would definitely suspect FB. They dealt with battery drain issues for months after the production release of iOS 9. Not sure they've even fixed it yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.