iOS 10 HomeKit ATV3 Incompatibility?

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by Corrode, Aug 25, 2016.

1. Corrode macrumors 6502a

Corrode

According to https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT204893, users should be able to use an ATV3 or ATV4 as a HomeKit Hub but I can't get my ATV3 to be recognized by the Home app.
    Additionally, it only lists the ATV4 and iPad as possible hubs. Did they change their requirements?

Attached Files:

2. mostlydave macrumors regular

I had no luck with the 3rd gen and ios 10. As your screenshot shows it looks like ios 10 will requre an ATV4. I am having great success using an old ipad mini, with the bonus that it can also be used to control everything.

3. Corrode thread starter macrumors 6502a

Corrode

Weird that their documents would be inconsistent with the app. Didn't they announce somewhere that ATV3 would work?

4. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

You're confusing HomeKit and the new Home App. Not the same thing.

A HomeKit enabled device can be controled via a manufacturer app with Apple products. The Home App is Apple's own central app to control these but requires the new 4th gen (because they run pretty much the same OS. tvOS is just a slightly modified iOS. 3rd gen does not run on tvOS. Therefore doesn't even know what the new Home App is or can use it's features.)

5. Corrode thread starter macrumors 6502a

Corrode

THANK YOU. This makes perfect sense. Annoying because I need to buy an ATV4 but at least I know why.

6. Smith288 macrumors 65816

Smith288

I logged into my Apple TV 4th gen and remote still doesn't work. It's pretty annoying. It used to work fine but around iOS 10 beta 4 or 5 it stopped working.

7. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

The new remote app or the old? Both work for me.

8. Corrode thread starter macrumors 6502a

Corrode

Not handheld remotes. Remote access to HomeKit via iOS Home app. (See thread title)

9. Smith288 macrumors 65816

Smith288

Sorry, remote access to my homekit. The Apple TV doesnt seem to be working as the hub.