iOS 10 Now Installed on 76% of Active iOS Devices

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 5, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Nearly four months after iOS 10 was released to the public, the operating system is installed on 76 percent of active iOS devices, according to new numbers posted on Apple's App Store support page for developers.

iOS installation rates have grown significantly over the holiday period, jumping up 13 percentage points between the end of November and the beginning of January. On November 27, 2016, iOS 10 was installed on 63 percent of devices.

18 percent of devices continue to run iOS 9, and six percent of devices are running iOS 8 or earlier.

[​IMG]

iOS 10 adoption rates may have seen a jump thanks to the release of iOS 10.2 on December 12. iOS 10.2 introduced several new features, including a new "TV" app, new emoji, improvements to Live Photos, and a huge list of bug fixes.

Around this time last year, iOS 9 was installed on 75 percent of active devices, so iOS 10 adoption rates have eclipsed iOS 9 adoption rates during the same time frame in 2016.

Apple has been steadily releasing updates to iOS 10, and rumors suggest we will see the first beta of the next major update, iOS 10.3, on January 10.

Article Link: iOS 10 Now Installed on 76% of Active iOS Devices

2. spherox macrumors member

Just not my Jailbroken iPad Pro 12.9" :). Could never use it without my tweaks which actually makes it somewhat of a computer replacement.

3. Aaronp613 macrumors newbie

Aaronp613

hmm, i wonder what caused this 13% to update...

4. 2ilent8cho macrumors 6502

Is that active and capable of running iOS 10? or just all active iOS devices?

5. borgqueenx macrumors 65816

Since jailbreak hope and a actual beta release, its pretty obvious where this 13% comes from.

6. Larry-K macrumors 68000

7. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

All active iOS. But the data is pretty much going on App Store downloads, so don't take it as entirely accurate.

8. MH01 Suspended

MH01

I'd expect it to be higher with the constant pop up spam! Which you can't stop

9. skitidetdu macrumors 6502

skitidetdu

Does this include active iOS devices that can't install it? Like my iPad 3 retina?

10. Bkxmnr macrumors regular

Bkxmnr

I doubt either of my daughters is in that number. I can never seem to get them to upgrade. Oy!

11. jhwalker macrumors regular

"iOS 10 adoption rates have eclipsed iOS 9 adoption rates during the same time frame" = "iOS 10 adoption rates are almost exactly the same as iOS 9 adoption rates . . . " :rolleyes:

12. kemal macrumors 65816

kemal

Have you ever met a person who tried to resist? They tend to be angry with Apple with all the Upgrade Now alerts. Then they give in.

13. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I believe those alerts can be disabled through iCloud.

14. masterhiggins macrumors regular

Perhaps because your device bugs the crap out of you until you update it? That might be a factor. If you could just permanently ignore them that would be one thing.

15. Jsameds macrumors 68040

16. adamjackson macrumors 68000

New emoji is the last reason anyone that I know updated. Honestly, none of those features were very compelling. I update now for security & bug fixes.

17. logicstudiouser macrumors 6502a

logicstudiouser

They need to restore Genius playlists to get me to update.

18. themick4u macrumors 6502

themick4u

Whoopty Doo! How about fixing the issues with your Q&A and in my case, with Bluetooth on the brand new 7+ Intel modem units Apple!? I have submitted countless feedback requests and nothing has returned with any signs of fixing or resolution....

19. ILuvEggplant Suspended

ILuvEggplant

when are we going to get the ability to default our email , maps, message, and calendar to other apps?

seriously apple - do you want me to go to android?

apple maps - decent but not great - waze is better for many of us
    mail- dear god - this is absolute garbage. largely ignored by apple. gmail awesome
    calendar - again garbage - apple did you forget about updating this ? google calendar is sweet
    imessage - emojis - thank the lord ! - okay i still like the blue imessages - is this the only hold you have on me?

20. mikecorp Suspended

mikecorp

21. machpost macrumors 6502

machpost

I have an old iPad 2 limping along on iOS 9 that still sees everyday use. I wonder how many others are part of that category.

22. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

Most people I know who've updated either did it accidentally or because they got pissed off at the aggravating daily reminders. Hardly an achievement for Apple to crow about.

23. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

I wish I could downgrade back to iOS 9 on my iPad Mini.

iOS 10 made it almost unusable at times, especially Safari.

It is now so laggy, and the screen goes totally white when scrolling in Safari. The recent updates made the lagginess slightly better, but the iPad Mini was much more solid on older iOS 8 and 9.

24. cracksoup macrumors 6502

cracksoup

Yeah this is honestly not impressive anymore. Not when Apple is forcing you to update. But that's business strategy like everything else.

25. Seoras macrumors 6502

Seoras

I'm seeing higher numbers through my App analytics. ~84% are on iOS 10
    Probably skewed somewhat by all those new users with their shinny new xmas presents.
    App sales this week have been double what I normally see.