iOS 10 Now Installed on Nearly 80% of Active iOS Devices

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 22, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Just over five months after iOS 10 was released to the public, the operating system is now installed on 79% of active iOS devices, according to the latest adoption data shared by Apple.

iOS 9 remains installed on 16% of active iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch devices, while 5% of devices are running an earlier iOS version, as measured by the App Store on February 20.

iOS 10 adoption appears to be slightly outpacing iOS 9 adoption over the same time period. iOS 9 adoption briefly stalled at 77% of active devices last February.

iOS 10 could see further adoption when iOS 10.3, which is currently in beta for developers and public testers, is officially released. The software update's key new features include "Find My AirPods" and a switch to the all-new Apple File System (APFS).

iOS adoption continues to significantly outpace Android. Nougat, the latest version of Android, is installed on just 1.2% of active Android devices as of February 6, despite being released six months ago today. Android Lollipop, released in November 2014, is still installed on 32.9% of active devices.

Apple's control over both hardware and software gives it an advantage over the Android ecosystem, while Apple persistently notifies iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch users to update to the latest iOS version, including offering the option to have the software update install overnight while the device is plugged in.

Article Link: iOS 10 Now Installed on Nearly 80% of Active iOS Devices

2. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

3. masterhiggins macrumors regular

Hard to be impressed when your device tricks you into upgrading through random popup reminders.

It's happened before whilst I was playing a game that requires key presses in the exact same space.

4. SoN1NjA, Feb 22, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2017

SoN1NjA macrumors 68000

SoN1NjA

Bet the 10.2 jailbreak increased that a bit
    Since the only jailbreak was 9.3, there were still a few users that had to stay on 9

Still keep pushing my friends and family to 10, iOS 10 is the best version of iOS that's ever been released, with updates to Messages, a redesigned Maps app, new Photos features, Siri to control your home with the new Home app, and a better experience to jam out to your favorite songs with an all new Music app

5. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

I honestly feel like they make it run slower on the previous gen devices.

6. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68040

Mr_Brightside_@

7. SoN1NjA macrumors 68000

SoN1NjA

I believe so too, people tell me I need to restore and blah
    No, 10.2 on 6 Plus is laggy

8. Garsun macrumors regular

Garsun

I would be curious what the percentage would look like after being adjusted for devices capable of receiving the update. For both Apple and android. Especially for android I would suspect there's quite a few devices for which the new OS is unavailable.

9. saintstryfe macrumors member

saintstryfe

Vast vast vast majorities of people do not jailbreak. It is a non-factor.

10. gim macrumors 6502

gim

But..but...their OS updates are named after delicious things!

11. firewire9000 macrumors 6502

iOS 10 was great but 10.3 is even better, APFS will be the next great thing and with iOS 11 only for 64 bit devices I think that all system will be more stable and smoother.

12. TMRJIJ macrumors 68040

TMRJIJ

Out of all of those versions, I feel like Gingerbread rein supreme.

13. Radon87000, Feb 22, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2017

Radon87000 macrumors 604

You do realise iOS updates and Android updates are not the same thing right?Many things which require an OS update on iOS can be done through the Play Store

In addition majority of Android phones are budget phones are not supposed to be updated considering the price

14. Jsameds macrumors 68040

I can recommend this channel for extensive speed test between different iOS versions (including betas) across all supported devices. The general trend is iOS 10 is faster than 9.

https://www.youtube.com/user/kabriolett

15. now i see it macrumors 68040

Proof that extremely annoying and persistent nag screens work. Bummer. That only feeds Apple's cause to continue doing it forever. I wonder how many people would have "downgraded" to iOS 10 if they could have turned that nagging off for good.

16. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

These stories remind of the 100% voter participation in <insert tyrannical autocratic or oligarchical country here>.

Apple applies serious psyOps when it comes to updating these days. Screen nag after nag after nag. And it knows when you are in a rush and need to access info ASAP because that is when it sends the friendly pop-up asking if you want to update now... no? OK, tonight! Hey user I said TONIGHT! Heh.

It take a special person or an unsupported hardware owner not to update Apple OSes these days.

17. Georgio_15 macrumors newbie

Most of the 16% of users on iOS 9 are not upgrading probably because many of them have 16g iOS devices and are full. Even if they are getting prompted with the upgrade message, they can't download and install the new iOS version OTA because their device is full. Most don't want to hook their device to a PC and do a back-up and update...

18. KALLT macrumors 601

In overall percentage points, the ’nag screens’ are insignificant. Apple has had these high update rates before them.

iOS 9 has taken care of that by temporarily deleting app bundles.

19. zzLZHzz macrumors 6502

My Huawei android phone is stuck at 4.2 :(
    Using that as backup phone. Apparently if you turn off 4G and wifi, for 6 days it only drained 40% of the battery.

20. Boston007 macrumors 6502

Boston007

Absolutely.

Since I upgraded my 6S Plus to 10.2 EVERYTHING lags.

21. doelcm82 macrumors 68040

doelcm82

I have a couple of old iPads that can't be updated to iOS 10.

22. DopamineHigh macrumors newbie

DopamineHigh

Yup, Only reason why I upgraded. Thanks to Luca and Marco for the Yalu Jailbreak.

23. GoodWheaties macrumors 6502a

GoodWheaties

There are many things that cannot be updated without an OS update as well. My brother-in law can testify to that with his 2015 Moto X that is stuck on 6.0 with its serious Bluetooth issues, and Lenovo won't update it to 7 till who knows when.

24. smacrumon macrumors 68030

smacrumon

And 20% still living large on iOS 6?
    --- Post Merged, Feb 22, 2017 ---
    Side note, Safari is buggy on iOS 10. iOS 7 for the win!

25. djcerla macrumors 68000

djcerla

"Nougat, the latest version of Android, is installed on just 1.2% of active Android devices as of February 6, despite being released six months ago today."

Embarrassing.

By almost all accounts, Android has been a major failure. No significant money for Google, no money for OEMs, except a couple, and stratospheric piracy that damages developers.

Android only succeeded in keeping Apple from monopolizing the market, an undesirable condition in itself, compared to monopolizing the profits with no regulators' scrutiny.