iOS 10 on iPhone SE

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DMVillain, Jun 13, 2016.

?

SE owners. Does iOS 10 make you want 3D Touch?

1. Yes

18 vote(s)
    25.7%
  2. No

47 vote(s)
    67.1%
  3. Undecided

5 vote(s)
    7.1%
  1. DMVillain macrumors 6502a

I probably should have seen this coming, but the increased role of 3D Touch in iOS 10 has me baffled as to why it wasn't included on the SE.

Is anyone with an SE contemplating going (or returning) to a phone with 3D Touch come September?

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

You know that there's a smaller battery in the 6s models versus the 6 models right?

Because the screen is thicker to account for Force Touch.

If Apple had to make the 6s models with smaller batteries to allow for a thicker screen why would you think Apple could fit this screen inside the smaller space of an SE?

And not charge you more for it?

Seriously?

The SE is not a flagship model. You want 3D Touch right now, buy one of the 6s models.

3. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I haven't seen the keynote yet and didn't see any bullet points hi lighting 3D Touch. Can someone enlighten me? I'll watch it tonight, so no huge loss, this is just something I didn't come across (yet).

4. DMVillain thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nowhere did I say that I wouldn't expect to be charged more. But you touched on what I do want, a 4" flagship.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 13, 2016 ---
    Notification Center-esque widgets can be enabled by 3D touching an app.

5. valinda macrumors 6502

valinda

I don't know if I can talk since I have both the SE and 6S plus. If I only had the SE, I would have voted
    no, since I don't use the 3D Touch.

6. eyoungren, Jun 13, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2016

eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Apple has offered the SE as a bone to pick up those customers who refused to move to the larger size flagships.

I doubt Apple intends to do anything beyond that with the SE.

7. dcpmark macrumors 6502a

Do you know how easy it would be for Apple to add a "Clear all" button to the lock-screen and/or notifications screen??? No force-touch needed.....Android has had it for years. They are choosing not to give us that capability unless you upgrade to a force-touch device, which is total BS.

8. Flow39 macrumors 68000

Flow39

I'm kind of glad I held out on the iPhone SE since I knew iOS 10 would include more 3D Touch implementations. Now that it is confirmed, I'm going to hold out for the 7/7+.

9. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

I watched the whole thing. Can't say I saw anything that really motivated me to start using 3D Touch. I'm sure someday, Apple will move so many "standard" features to 3D Touch so as to make the SE unusable. Until that day comes, it's not really a problem for many.

10. dcpmark macrumors 6502a

The ONLY thing I've been dying for since coming from Android to the iP5 is a "clear all" notifications button, and it sucks that they're only doing that with force touch.

11. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

It's unclear to me why they've reserved "clear all" to 3D Touch, particularly after just having released a phone without this capability.

In general I have felt that most 3D Touch features truly are better with the right hardware, but this just seems silly.

12. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

The only thing I want 3D Touch for is the keyboard trackpad. None of the new 3D Touch features interest me. None of the new features period interest me actually. I'm still very happy with my iPhone SE.

13. bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

14. C DM macrumors Westmere

Because...?

15. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

Because it was destined to be.

------

iOS 10 gave me pause because I was a little worried how some of the new user interface elements would scale to a smaller screen, but after seeing a YouTube video of iOS 10 running on an iPhone 5S, I feel better .

16. bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

Aside from the news about revamping (and it's not really a revamp) Apple Music...the other features don't seem to extend the Aople experience.

17. C DM macrumors Westmere

I guess people have different visions of the "Apple experience" (some less realistic and contemporary than others).

18. DMVillain thread starter macrumors 6502a

Agreed, at least with iOS 9. I have a 6s Plus and an SE, but I favor the Plus just for that one feature.

19. Azzurro macrumors regular

You know all keynotes are music to the ears but sometimes they do not have practical use at all.

20. bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

And on top of that... nothing new with the iPad pro lines with new features, etc spoke volumes.

21. DMVillain thread starter macrumors 6502a

Very true

22. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

That's probably the issue. I've never had a phone with 3D Touch, so it bothers me not at all to not have it on the SE, regardless of the implementation on iOS 10.

If I'd had a 6s, the lack of the feature on the SE would probably seem like an issue.

23. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

I though I read somewhere that Apple said they'll be bringing some 3D Touch only functions to older devices in later betas.

24. joeblow7777 macrumors 68040

I won't vote in the poll because I'm not an SE owner, but as a 6 owner I can say that my interest in 3D Touch is no greater than it was before, which is to say minimal.

25. GrumpyMom macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

I'm probably not going to even permit those notifications to pop up on the lock screen because I'm not inclined to have my iPhone set to where any random person could just pick up my phone and see the contents of my texts and my friends' contact info if I should lose my iPhone or leave it sitting around. Most of the stuff that would show up on those notifications show up on my Apple Watch already, anyway.

I have a 6S Plus I like very much, but I really do not want to ever go back to carrying it and only it on a regular basis.