iOS 11 Beta 3 Tidbits: New TV Providers, Fixed iPad App Switcher and More

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 10, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple provided the third beta of iOS 11 to developers this morning, introducing a range of feature refinements, speed improvements, bug fixes, and more. In the video and the post below, we've outlined all of the more significant tweaks and changes.

Though we're on the third beta of iOS 11, there are still many bugs in the software, which is to be expected with a beta. A list of new bugs and known issues can be found in the update's release notes, and developers should read the info carefully. iOS 11 beta 3, like earlier iOS 11 betas, should only be installed on secondary device.

- iPad App Switcher - When closing an app, the swipe to close gesture has been restored. Previously, it was necessary to hold down on an app and tap the "x" to close it when using the iPad's App Switcher interface.

- SOS - When using Apple's emergency alert feature, an SOS that's canceled will no longer send out notifications.

- Files app - OS X Server and Dropbox have been added to the Files app on the iPhone and the iPad as new Locations.

- TV Providers - Comcast, Cox, AT&T U-verse, Verizon Fios, Time Warner Cable, and more are all listed as new providers in the TV Providers section of the Settings app in iOS 11 beta 3, and they appear to allow users to take advantage of Single sign-on.

- Notification Center - There's no need to swipe a second time to see "Earlier Today" notifications in the Notification Center. All notifications are shown on the first downward swipe to get to the Lock Screen/Notification Center. In previous betas, you needed to swipe down to see unread notifications and then swipe up again to see earlier notifications. Beta 3 simplifies the Notification Center.

- iCloud Messages - The syncing feature that uploads your iMessages to iCloud in iOS 11 now lets you know how many messages still need to be uploaded.

- Screen Recording - When you 3D Touch the Screen Recording button in the Control Center, there's a new option to start a broadcast. Right now, the feature works like a standard screen recording and saves a video to the Camera Roll, but it could perhaps integrate with third-party apps in the future for automatic uploads.

- Music - When a song is playing in the Music app, tapping the song name from the Control Center will once again open the Music app.

The third beta of iOS 11 is limited to developers, but we expect Apple to release a second public beta later this week, which should be identical to the third developer beta.

Article Link: iOS 11 Beta 3 Tidbits: New TV Providers, Fixed iPad App Switcher and More

2. ovo6 macrumors 6502

Obviously they changed the Notification Center nobody wanted that loll

3. heymonroe macrumors member

heymonroe

Is force-touching the only way to clear an individual notification? Because that's super irritating to do.

4. newyorksole macrumors 68030

Finally FiOS is onboard with single sign-on. That needs to come to the Apple TV soon.

5. eicca macrumors regular

eicca

Until the 3D Touch app switcher comes back I'm staying with iOS 10.

6. Korican100 macrumors 6502a

Korican100

force touch for switching audio out is super annoying.

7. 2010mini macrumors 68040

we have to wait until iOS 11 for the other tv providers ?!??

8. akidd macrumors regular

9. graywolf323 macrumors member

graywolf323

they don’t seem to be, when I selected Verizon as my TV Provider there was a pop-up notification telling me they DON’T support single sign-on

10. teknishn, Jul 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2017

teknishn macrumors 6502

Hopefully safari doesn’t murder battery in this build.

11. groovyd macrumors 65816

groovyd

what, no little giggle at the end? that was the best part ;)

12. teknishn macrumors 6502

Ad-blockers are back to working in beta 3!! Omg, I can handle the bugs, but the lack of ad-blocking in betas 1,2 was epic pain.

13. demwun macrumors newbie

Ugh...still a 3 second delay when drawing with Apple Pencil and resting palm on the screen...jeez I hope they spot that...or see this.

14. Geek95 macrumors newbie

Geek95

Yep, same with "Time Warner Cable | Spectrum"

15. dominiongamma macrumors 6502a

dominiongamma

16. subjonas macrumors 6502a

DIRECTV NOW. Single sign on. Make it happen. What's the holdup?

17. Sunny1990, Jul 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2017

Sunny1990 Suspended

Sunny1990

What about 3D touch app switcher on iPhone, is it still missing on beta 3? Damn! Why Apple removed such a useful feature. i used it a lot, hope it's added in the future versions.

18. Ferc Kast macrumors regular

Ferc Kast

Nice that they brought back the swipe on the iPad app switcher. :)

19. newyorksole macrumors 68030

Damn. Hopefully it's supported when the final version gets released.

20. JarScott macrumors 68040

JarScott

Yes. A total step backwards, does nothing but slow the user down. Really hoping this one is a temporary glitch and not a feature.

21. squirrelist macrumors regular

squirrelist

Is this new or did I miss it in the past? On T-Mobile I can see my current data, call, text usage, and billing end-date in Settings > Cellular > Usage. Don’t know about other carriers.

IMG_0201.jpg

22. lsutigerfan1976 macrumors 68000

It seems like there is no way dismiss multiple notifications at once. I have to force touch each one separately.

23. DentonB macrumors newbie

DentonB

Same here with Cox.

24. green94 macrumors regular

Now how about a "Clear All"?

25. lsutigerfan1976 macrumors 68000

Needs a clear all for notifications and also apps to.