Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RedCloud2017

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2017
I spent some time looking at the Samsung Galaxy Note 8 the other day and was not impressed - specifically because of the glare the curved edges induce. I could hardly hold the device where I wasn't constantly seeing reflections from overhead lights and there was just zero use for having anything on-screen bleed over the curved edge.

I think they'd be better off trying to create a flat screen with no frame, if they feel that they just have to do the frameless look in the first place. The curved edge serves no good purpose.

Yeah, I'm baffled by people saying the don't notice the glare ???

I understand them saying that they don't notice the color distortion at the edges since it's noticeable on light backgrounds only (though once you see it it can't be unseen) but there's no missing the glare created by the curved edges. It's atrocious.

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
Wait, so does this mean only the iPhone Edition will get that pretty, rounded and floating dock as the iPad?

Rob_2811

Suspended
Mar 18, 2016
United Kingdom
thats why there will be a 7 and 7S option.

How is this an actual option over the longer term?

Presumably the design language from this phone eventually makes its way across the line. Its like someone saying I hate the new MacBook Pro Keyboards and suggesting they buy a 2013 model. Its only deferring the problem

They aren't going to continue to sell three phone models long term.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
For the iPhone 8, Apple had better include a quick gesture to go to the home screen. This is where I like to start when I unlock my iPhone, and so by habit I often press the home button immediately before pressing the lock button.

So the iPhone will basically work the same way as WebOS did originally nearly 9 years ago
WebOs was well ahead of it's time:

Uploaded a full three years before an app switcher like this showed up in iOS 7...

Reactions: NecroKill

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
All the comments saying "I want" since when as it ever worked like that? Never! Steve Jobs once said that people don't know what they want until we show it to them. You may think you still want the home button because you are use to it, just like when ( Touch ID was added) you will get use to and love the new way of doing things, people are resistant to change and Apple are changing things.

We all know that everyone complaining will be pre-ordering and then saying how much they love their new iPhone (let's face it, it happens every year and as become part of the ritual :D).

zunamo

macrumors member
May 4, 2015
I foresee 3 places to slide down from the top:
  • From the left corner to access the "today widgets"
  • From the center (below the notch) to access notifications
  • From the right corner to access control center
This will allow quick access to all the different overlay screens, without having to always go to notification center and slide left or right.

NecroKill

Suspended
Aug 2, 2017
All the comments saying "I want" since when as it ever worked like that? Never! Steve Jobs once said that people don't know what they want until we show it to them. You may think you still want the home button because you are use to it, just like when ( Touch ID was added) you will get use to and love the new way of doing things, people are resistant to change and Apple are changing things.

We all know that everyone complaining will be TRYING to pre-order pre-ordering and then saying how much they love their new iPhone (let's face it, it happens every year and as become part of the ritual :D).

Fixed it for you :)

martin2345uk

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013
Essex
I foresee 3 places to slide down from the top:
  • From the left corner to access the "today widgets"
  • From the center (below the notch) to access notifications
  • From the right corner to access control center

That’s a possibility for sure. I quite like that idea!

KieranDotW

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Canada
So the iPhone will basically work the same way as WebOS did originally nearly 9 years ago
WebOs was well ahead of it's time:

A lot of the new iPhone features aren't new. Microsoft's Lumia 950, released two years ago and widely considered a failure, had an OLED display, iris scanner, wireless charging etc. This is the case every year, it doesn't mean much.

Reactions: NecroKill

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
One thing that hasn't been addressed that I'm curious about is how these changes will affect the accessibility of the phone. Apple has rather strongly pushed the whole visual, hearing etc stuff. Losing the physical home button could be a downgrade on that front. So how are they going to keep the phone just as usable for the visually impaired

Reactions: Vanilla35

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
To be frank, the “swipe photo/card up to dismiss” is now a pretty common gesture in many apps, I can see it being extended to apps themselves. Although it’s a little weird that in the photos app, you’d swipe down to dismiss the photo, up to see more, and up from the bottom of the screen to close the app.

Sure, but the point is people have years of muscle memory baked into using the iPhone with the home button as the anchor. Tech astute and younger, more adaptable people might take to the new system easy but there are a lot of tech dummies and "stuck in their ways" people that are not going to relish having to relearn how to use an iPhone.

Of course, as I said, it sounds complex how it's written up above. What matters is how it actually works. If it's actually simpler, quicker, and more intuitive than the home button, no prob. But if it takes people to do some unwanted studying then it's going to frustrate that latter set of people. Not a good PR story for Apple in that instance. Apple's hallmark is being the company that makes products you don't need a manual to use.
[doublepost=1504103057][/doublepost]
That quote pretty much says it all about the color of the bezels:

We've seen that "blend-in" illusion with the Apple Watch, and it would totally make sense from Apple to do the same on the future iPhones.

Right, but it only speaks of black. It doesn't in any way exclude other colors.

Reactions: Vanilla35

syndalis

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2008
So how to differentiate opening Control Ctr from opening Multitasking/Home (if both are "swipe up from bottom of screen")?
On iOS11 on iPad, a slight swipe up brings up the dock, a more pronounced one brings up spaces/control center.

Probably similar to that.

ChrisMoBro

Suspended
Oct 31, 2016
They should have opted to hide the notch, it is so fugly. Not cool, Jony Ive. Oh well, I'm sure I'll be happy with the 7S Plus anyway. I'm more concerned with battery life anyway.

truthertech

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2016
No one takes photos at apple do they.

No, and of course, they never thought of this; they just slapped on a button without doing any thinking or testing. That's what the most successful company in the world does with its flagship product.

blancoBronco

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2009
South Tampa
On iOS11 on iPad, a slight swipe up brings up the dock, a more pronounced one brings up spaces/control center.

Probably similar to that.
I think that is so counter intuitive. Since the introduction of the control center, we've just swiped up as much or as little as we feel comfortable and got the same result. now we have to be careful how much we swipe, because there are 3 possible outcomes (slight for dock, a little more for app switcher, and even more to go home). I just want to swipe up and know exactly what the outcome will be, I don't want to have to be so deliberate in my swipe
[doublepost=1504103557][/doublepost]
Stop saying that, some people dread the black bezels. I still trust Jonny Ive will keep the white bezels (he’s always favoured white fronts for iDevices).
who hates the black bezels? I really doubt they're going to make this phone with an incredible screen that takes up most of its body, only to obstruct it with the white notch and bezels

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Maybe they'll add a notch to the Apple TV remote so you can tell which side you are holding. ;)

Better yet maybe they'll discontinue that abomination of remote and come up with something more practical. I place the ATV4 remote in the same low regard as the iMac Puck mouse. Both were built for the "cool factor" more than usability. What I hate more than anything is you pick up ATV4 remote to put it away and the slightest touch at the bottom turns on the TV. Not good design.

AudiA4

macrumors regular
May 6, 2002
Little Rock, AR
Why the F are we still seeing the white-bezel-phone in the article then?? With an OLED screen, Apple won't be putting a white bezel on top of that black screen ofcourse.
Let's hope not. That stupid white bezel ALL THE WAY AROUND looks super dumb, and so 2011.

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
Yeah! Gestures that rely on access to the very edge of the screen never have issues when using a case. #YouCan'tGoHomeAgain

Reactions: Demo Kit

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013
App developers probably aren’t going to like this. Apple messed up massively when they moved the status bar in to apps as part of iOS7.

We all said the status bar is not part of the app content, and they should try to blend it in with the bezel. It was and still is a massive source of headaches for developers. Now they’re changing it up yet again.

strategicthinke

Suspended
Feb 6, 2014
Rio de Janeiro
1AD4106A-F8A8-4E3E-8C19-63B0930A7284.jpeg Many, many people despise black bezels. Apple has offered more white iPhones than black iPhones since iPhone 5s.
Also, iOS is completely white, it does NOT blend well with the black bezels. Except if you use your iPhone and iPad for movies and watching series, the black bezels are worse to blend with books, emails and websites (all white).
Finally, Jony Ive has always preferred white iPhones for personal use.

Lastly, why couldn’t it have white bezels and a black NOTCH?

I think that is so counter intuitive. Since the introduction of the control center, we've just swiped up as much or as little as we feel comfortable and got the same result. now we have to be careful how much we swipe, because there are 3 possible outcomes (slight for dock, a little more for app switcher, and even more to go home). I just want to swipe up and know exactly what the outcome will be, I don't want to have to be so deliberate in my swipe
[doublepost=1504103557][/doublepost]
who hates the black bezels? I really doubt they're going to make this phone with an incredible screen that takes up most of its body, only to obstruct it with the white notch and bezels

Attachments

• 913B3B8B-6D36-4C12-9D79-BBEFDB3655B9.jpeg
    913B3B8B-6D36-4C12-9D79-BBEFDB3655B9.jpeg
    57.8 KB · Views: 155
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.