Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I have to amend my previous review a bit as I’ve noticed major RAM management problems. iOS 11 seems to have a lot of trouble keeping apps loaded in the background. A lot worse than 10.3.3.
My husband just texted me saying he noticed this on his new iPad Pro, too and asked me if I'd read any forum comments about it. I'll pass along your comment to him.

I was originally going to update iPads first and phone last but ended up just doing an update of my iphone 7 Plus so I can get my Apple Watch updated soon. There are a few apps acting occasionally a bit buggy and slow to open. Mostly it's my battery life taking a hit. I like the new Control Panel. The font looks babyish and it all looks preschool bookish to me, but I can see it with middle aged eyes, so I guess it's okay.

Reactions: Aftermath747

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
On my 6S:
I dislike the reduced function of reachability. I still need to swipe from the top screen to get to notification center, which defeats the purpose of reachability. That's probably my main gripe.
I also don't understand why Apple returns to the old-style signal bar. Didn't Apple replace this with the dots because it makes more sense?
Other than those, I don't see much performance issues vs iOS10.

On my iPad mini 2:
I really hate the way Apple changed slide over. It really screws up my productivity when I'm using the iPad. Now using the iPad feels like the days before slide over. Can't comprehend why Apple changed this.
Performance wise, it's okay. The mini 2 wasn't too speedy on iOS10. iOS11 doesn't change it. Some animations like control center can drop frames, but overall the device is still usable.

Reactions: dk001

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
On my 6S:
I also don't understand why Apple returns to the old-style signal bar. Didn't Apple replace this with the dots because it makes more sense?

I believe they did it so they can squeeze the signal bar into the "ear" of the iPhone X. Maybe next they'll take away our indicators for battery %, bluetooth, etc. -- so that we are saddled with the same compromises that X owners will "enjoy"!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I believe they did it so they can squeeze the signal bar into the "ear" of the iPhone X. Maybe next they'll take away our indicators for battery %, bluetooth, etc. -- so that we are saddled with the same compromises that X owners will "enjoy"!
Well, it's not like they took it away, they changed (back) to a somewhat more compact and fairly familiar/established way of showing cellular signal strength.

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
Well, it's not like they took it away, they changed (back) to a somewhat more compact and fairly familiar/standard way of showing cellular signal strength.

While I'm not really complaining about this particular change, I will note that they changed the indicator to only four signal bars -- i.e., it's less granular.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
While I'm not really complaining about this particular change, I will note that they changed the indicator to only four signal bars -- i.e., it's less granular.
There is that change too. As far as how much of a noticeable impact that has on typical use for most, it's hard to say, but I'd probably guess that it's essentially none to minimal.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
My experience has been normal so far. I always have realistic expectations from new releases and aren’t bothered by little stutters and minor glitches. I know they’ll get sorted out as the updates come through and the system gets mature. I would obviously not enjoy dealing with freezing or a bricked phone but, that has never happened to me yet (knock on wood). One annoying problem that has happened a couple of times is losing replacement text data during updates...

HiVolt

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
Toronto, Canada
I'm not too happy with this upgrade, mainly due to an annoying springboard/home screen freezing bug I've now experienced twice, one on an iPhone 6s a day after iOS11 came out, and today on iPhone 8. I called Apple to report it, because you have to hard reset the phone to get it back, and this morning I didn't know the new procedure for iPhone 8.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ios11-springboard-freeze.2073379/#post-25138719

fiveainone

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2011
No one seems to mentioning GIF MOFOing support. Took them 10 years to support the oldest format on the internet. But still, GIF support in Photos!

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
I really enjoy it, especially on the iPad of course.
And the best new feature on the iPhone for me is the new App Store! I really love it, it’s like they said, it brings back a little bit this feeling of the early days, more excitement about specific really cool apps. Before I was a little lost in the flood of apps.

fiveainone

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2011
I really enjoy it, especially on the iPad of course.
And the best new feature on the iPhone for me is the new App Store! I really love it, it’s like they said, it brings back a little bit this feeling of the early days, more excitement about specific really cool apps. Before I was a little lost in the flood of apps.

I kind of like it, but I can't seem to navigate outside of the featured apps. I must be doing it wrong.

Though I did find an awesome "TV surfing" app, that lets you surf curated web videos like you're channel surfing on TV (preloaded videos to go back and forth.) Rheo is what it's called.

chilman

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2011
Seeing too many comments of introduced lag with iOS 11. Going to stay with 10.3.3 for my 7+ for the foreseeable future since its speed is golden right now.
I was about to update to 11. My O' my never have i heard such as a disaster release by apple. Something ain't right. Maybe selling too many products that aren't full proof yet. Let the consumers find the bugs, rather than apple engineers? Mine is still on 10.3 and will stay for at least the remaining of the year. Many are forced to switch back to 10.3.3. Will the X be like this?? Since the X is just like the 8 but with Amoled screen and different material made.

Reactions: pat500000

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I was about to update to 11. My O' my never have i heard such as a disaster release by apple. Something ain't right. Maybe selling too many products that aren't full proof yet. Let the consumers find the bugs, rather than apple engineers? Mine is still on 10.3 and will stay for at least the remaining of the year. Many are forced to switch back to 10.3.3. Will the X be like this?? Since the X is just like the 8 but with Amoled screen and different material made.
See how things were in iOS 10.0, 9.0, 8.0, 7.0, etc. days.

Reactions: JM

Txguy82

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2016
iOS 11 is killing my battery. Even in low power mode. Screen is dimmed half way or 3/4 to save power.

Pretty close to throwing them ️ with the iPhone and it’s subpar standards in today’s mobile world.

pat500000

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 3, 2015
iOS 11 is killing my battery. Even in low power mode. Screen is dimmed half way or 3/4 to save power.

Pretty close to throwing them ️ with the iPhone and it’s subpar standards in today’s mobile world.
In your opinion or observation, why do you think the battery might draining quick? Apps running in the background?

Txguy82

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2016
In your opinion or observation, why do you think the battery might draining quick? Apps running in the background?

Nope. Apps are all shut down. Battery wasn’t that good to begin with on my 7. Now it has gotten worse with this update.

My son was on my mobile hotspot as well but it was nowhere near this bad with draining the battery.

pat500000

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 3, 2015
Nope. Apps are all shut down. Battery wasn’t that good to begin with on my 7. Now it has gotten worse with this update.

My son was on my mobile hotspot as well but it was nowhere near this bad with draining the battery.
Have you taken the phone to Apple?

Txguy82

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2016
Have you taken the phone to Apple?

No hoping it gets resolved in the next update or so. I’m on the fence sticking around with IPhone after 5 years. Waiting to see what the Pixel XL and V30 bring this week as they are revealed. Look to be some nice upgrades to both of them

I’m not trapped in this ecosystem lol
I only have iPhone and 1st gen Apple TV

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
No. Menus get deeper and deeper each iOS iteration, but nothing ever seems kore intuitive or useful, and mostly those things have taken steps back. Via the extra whitespace and huge fonts, the loss of a useful Control center that you could just slide down since it was a half pane. Now it’s almost a full screen mess, and almost anywhere you put your fingers hits a button or triggers something. Just so many poor design choices and it’s getting worse and more time-consuming for the user with each version they release. They need new design help, really. It’s a major reason people stick with iOS whether they realize it or not, and there WILL be a breaking point before people stage the Apple version of the Microsoft backlash of windows XP and 7 etc. :/

chilman

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2011
Ios 11 is not the apple product we used yo know. Sure its ok to hv it shares of bugs n problems, but this time is more than it should.

Reactions: Tsepz

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
No. Menus get deeper and deeper each iOS iteration, but nothing ever seems kore intuitive or useful, and mostly those things have taken steps back. Via the extra whitespace and huge fonts, the loss of a useful Control center that you could just slide down since it was a half pane. Now it’s almost a full screen mess, and almost anywhere you put your fingers hits a button or triggers something. Just so many poor design choices and it’s getting worse and more time-consuming for the user with each version they release. They need new design help, really. It’s a major reason people stick with iOS whether they realize it or not, and there WILL be a breaking point before people stage the Apple version of the Microsoft backlash of windows XP and 7 etc. :/

It's almost like they're releasing versions backwards, to me. They look less polished and refined each release.

Also, since it's so stuffed with gestures it often gets the wrong gesture. For example, swiping left on a notification in the lock screen can EITHER give options for that notification or bring up the camera. Same thing with scrubbing the music playback bar on the lock screen -- often gives the camera instead.

The UI design choices are worse and worse. Even little things that didn't need to change were just randomly made worse. For example, when you turn the phone off (which I have to often enough to clear bugs), you can't tell when the phone actually is off and you can restart it... the screen is just black while it's shutting down so you just have to keep trying the power button until eventually it turns on.

By far the worst for me though is the input-blocking. It's unbearable having so many taps/swipes go completely ignored because it was too soon since your previous input and some animation is "playing". This is all throughout the OS. I can't even turn off multiple alarm clocks too quickly... I have to wait between each one.

Apple used to pride themselves on how quickly iPhones responded. How times have changed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.