Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Did ios 11 dump the timer and alarm clock? I can no longer find them by swiping up from the bottom of the screen. I thought those were included in previous versions?

iSayBoourns

Suspended
Sep 15, 2017
Did ios 11 dump the timer and alarm clock? I can no longer find them by swiping up from the bottom of the screen. I thought those were included in previous versions?

Add them via Settings > Control Center > Customize Controls
63C3E064-44E0-4ABA-9F2A-8B1ED45C0093.jpeg

Reactions: dk001 and Huntn

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Couple other items with iOS 11 that is bothering me.
IPP 12 g2 and Mini 4.
Some apps when opened open upside down in comparison to the screen orientation. Had Netflix, Spectrum TV as a couple. They right themselves once running.
I have 4 wifi links in my house. 5 ghz, 2.4 ghz, 5 ghz extended, 2.4 ghz extended. The extended are primarily for the game room. With iOS 11, my devices no longer hook to the strongest. Matter of fact I cannot identify the rhyme or reason at this point.

My 7+ only has the 5/2.4 main set for join. But it appears to act the same.

Reactions: 358547

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
Despite of the performance issues, I enjoy the improvements made in iOS 11 over iOS 10. Haven't had the desire to switch back once.

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA
only reasons I’m not rolling back to 10.3.3 is I like the faster safari scrolling and the less input blocking. Not happy at all with the instability of 11 or 11.0.1, tried 11.1 beta on iPad Pro and wasn’t much better at all maybe even worse but that is a beta.

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
B
only reasons I’m not rolling back to 10.3.3 is I like the faster safari scrolling and the less input blocking. Not happy at all with the instability of 11 or 11.0.1, tried 11.1 beta on iPad Pro and wasn’t much better at all maybe even worse but that is a beta.
But isn't the home button delay driving you nuts or do you still have a physical button equipped iPhone? It it the same with them. Can you tell me more about the less input blocking? Is it back to 8.4.1 days where you can tap icons mid opening and closing animations? Or do you still have to wait till the animation is complete?

I'm on an iPhone 7 running 10.3.3 and it's great with fast performance and great battery. After reading the many stories of worse battery life and lags I'm still staying put. And the home button delay turns me off big time.

dallas112678

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
It's turned my 7+ into a stutter machine. Basically stuttering on simple app opening animations. There's nothing significantly new feature wise that I would actually make use of to make up for all of these new stutters... So, not happy with my less than a year old phone operating like a 5 year old phone.

If they actually made a files app like finder where you could easily drag and drop files from your phone anywhere onto your mac and vice versa, rather than an app that is only slightly useful if you use a lot of cloud storage (I don't) OR if they actually allowed real multitasking with split screen apps, then I would be more or less ok with the choppiness of iOS 11. Once again though, it still looks the same with no major additional features, except now it stutters constantly.

Reactions: Kalloud

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA
B

But isn't the home button delay driving you nuts or do you still have a physical button equipped iPhone? It it the same with them. Can you tell me more about the less input blocking? Is it back to 8.4.1 days where you can tap icons mid opening and closing animations? Or do you still have to wait till the animation is complete?

I'm on an iPhone 7 running 10.3.3 and it's great with fast performance and great battery. After reading the many stories of worse battery life and lags I'm still staying put. And the home button delay turns me off big time.

I have a 6s so no home button lag. I use reduced motion on, icons register taps immediately.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I have a 6s - 11 (and .1) are probably the best performing IOS versions that I have used. My 6s is much faster and smoother than 10. It is faster than other IOS on other phones. Battery seems better than IOS 10. I can't tell you why runs great on some phones and not on others but there are probably configuration differences and applications that I don't run that others do. My 6s is running so well I'm considering not upgrading although my 2 years are up and I due for upgrade. Not being sarcastic here - it is running great on my 6s

ekwipt

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2008
small detail but i don't like the Notifications in iOS11, it feels like i'm on a lock screen, prefer the full screen taken over with notifications...

A big problem for me updating was my sent mail in Apples mail app, it now shows emails from 2010 and nothing after that (i think it's sorted from oldest mail first or it's deleted my newer sent emails.) after the update there in chronological order, but i was stuffed today when trying to find a sent email... major fail!

bigchief

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2009
I'm going to Apple store tomorrow to have a new battery put in my iPhone 6. The phone had been doing weird things for the past couple of weeks so I down loaded the Lirum info Lite app to check the status of my battery. It shows my battery's health at 33% and needs replacing. I went ahead and downloaded the new iOS 11.1 and my phone runs smooth as butter. I may keep it another year after I have the new battery installed.

Donoban

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2013
I had it for about a month through the last few betas up to GM. I did like most of the changes. However, iOS 10.3.3 is noticeably faster on my 7, so I downgraded from iOS 11 today. Also, I don’t like how Apple removed features in iOS 11, like swiping down notifications in reachability without having to touch the top of your screen, and the 3D Touch multitasking shortcut. Also, they removed the ability to actually turn off WiFi and Bluetooth in control center in iOS 11. Instead, it just disables new connections but it still keeps Bluetooth and WiFi on. What’s the point of that?

I’ll be staying on iOS 10.3.3 probably for quite a while, as speed is really important to me, and there’s nothing really that iOS 11 offers me besides some nice visual changes.

DUDE!

That natural sounding Siri voice, the new App Store, quick access to stickers! OMG, how good is it to spam your mates with stickers.

Story, I know a guy who works in IT Support. Like this guy gets paid to fix computer problems. I hit him up with stickers to his messages and he always asks "How do you do that?" and I"m like "Buddy, I ain't telling someone who gets paid to provide IT support how to use a freaking iPhone". Many lulz were had.

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
And lastly, a lot of the fonts and such are huge. I have a regular 6s and I feel like I have the accessibility setting for big font sizes enabled even when I have it set to second to smallest size. I can’t imagine how it looks for 5S/SE users.

Other than that (and some apps freezing for no apparent reason), it’s a stable release for me that I can live with.
Ios 11 feels the sames as ios 10 on my iphone se.
[doublepost=1507041944][/doublepost]I’ve been running the final release since Sept 12th. The weird thing is that the longer I run it the more unstable it is getting, which is weird. I am now rebooting 1x per day, something I’ve rarely needed to do since my ipad 1 in 2010. The ipad becomes completely unresponsive which I am guessing is a memory issue. To test I will only run safari and mail and nothing else. If this continues it will become sort of unusable. At this rate I will need to reboot multiple times a day. The iphone se has been rock solid.

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA
Ios 11 feels the sames as ios 10 on my iphone se.
[doublepost=1507041944][/doublepost]I’ve been running the final release since Sept 12th. The weird thing is that the longer I run it the more unstable it is getting, which is weird. I am now rebooting 1x per day, something I’ve rarely needed to do since my ipad 1 in 2010. The ipad becomes completely unresponsive which I am guessing is a memory issue. To test I will only run safari and mail and nothing else. If this continues it will become sort of unusable. At this rate I will need to reboot multiple times a day. The iphone se has been rock solid.

Definitely seems more stable and smoother on my iPhone 6s than it does on my IPP 9.7, probably expected because of the major changes made for the iPad multitasking.

Sill

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2014
DUDE!
That natural sounding Siri voice, the new App Store, quick access to stickers! OMG, how good is it to spam your mates with stickers.

I don't use Siri. Stickers? I think the best part of Stickers was the commercial that introduced them. Great song, but Stickers are a silly addition to iOS.

Thanks for bringing up the App Store though. I rarely visit it, because I rarely hear of an app that I want, so I hadn't checked it out since the upgrade. I was very surprised to see how well it was organized. I ended up downloading 4 apps within a couple of minutes or browsing. Oddly, those installs took less than 2 seconds each, where in the past I'd see installs take between 10-30 seconds, even on Wifi. Is iOS 11 making better use of Wifi than previous versions? Better use of the components in the phone itself?

I also found I needed to update 10 of my installed apps. That went a lot quicker than in the past, though the last two seemed to stall 3/4 of the way through. While I was waiting I went through my settings and further reviewed my personal privacy strictures, and turned off lots of stuff I didn't catch on my first review (any reason why Hyperburner would want to have access to Cellular Data, or why it would want to make itself available to Siri / Spotlight Search Suggestions?). When I returned to the App Store, those two apps (Pages and Numbers) still hadn't finished updating, nor had the progress arc moved at all. I went back to Settings and kept working. I turned off Cellular Data for almost every app, and closed out Siri Suggestions for almost everything else (I don't use Siri Voice but that little Spiderwoman is evidently now a full-fledged AI that has taken over search, so if I ever hope to find anything on my phone, I have to leave it on for a couple of things, like Messages and Mail.)
I then put the phone down and forgot about the updates, but when I just checked, they're done. I guess the phone just needed to rest.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I'll probably enjoy iOS 11 once 11.1/11.2 is released. At that point, a lot of the bugs will be taken care of. In its current state, I don't enjoy it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.