Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Damn... My iOS 10 iPhone SE just died. Oh my god... such an expense now to buy an iPhone 8 :/
It got wet, so I've put it into a giant silica gel bag, but I saw how the screen died slowly... the LEDs were blinking, and I heard the short-circuits, the electrical, crispy noise...

I think I've lost my awesome device.

TimothyR734

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2018
Logsden Oregon
I am experiencing battery issues with my iPhone SE after a few hours of usage my battery would drain even though it is plugged in then I looked on the internet to see if it would charge while it was plugged in and turned off I went to bed with 74% battery charge woke up it went down to 44% then turned it on seem liked it was going to charge then entered my passcode charged for a few seconds then shutdown then when I rebooted it can up with a message saying your iPhone experienced an unexpected shutdown due to the battery not having enough peak performance necessary power management has been applied to prevent this from happening again but even after that has been applied my battery still drains

Rhino1

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2012
Damn... My iOS 10 iPhone SE just died. Oh my god... such an expense now to buy an iPhone 8 :/
It got wet, so I've put it into a giant silica gel bag, but I saw how the screen died slowly... the LEDs were blinking, and I heard the short-circuits, the electrical, crispy noise...

eBay..?

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
I am experiencing battery issues with my iPhone SE after a few hours of usage my battery would drain even though it is plugged in then I looked on the internet to see if it would charge while it was plugged in and turned off I went to bed with 74% battery charge woke up it went down to 44% then turned it on seem liked it was going to charge then entered my passcode charged for a few seconds then shutdown then when I rebooted it can up with a message saying your iPhone experienced an unexpected shutdown due to the battery not having enough peak performance necessary power management has been applied to prevent this from happening again but even after that has been applied my battery still drains
What's the battery health?

dcpmark

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2009
12.0 was fine for both of my SEs, but 12.0.1 killed one. The phone stays hot on the charger after installing 12.0.1, and I could lay it down on a table and watch the battery drain. Battery Health says 98%, but that’s BS as it’s a launch day unit that I use and charge every single day since. Coconutbattery shows it’s at 82%. Not only are there background processes not stopping, but I had a data overage for the first time ever so something was using data in the background. Finally, Siri constantly shows up at the top. of the battery usage list, and I have it turned off. I tried a full reset and restore, then a DFU reset and restore. Still bad. 12.1 did nothing to improve it. I have an appointment this Sat to replace the battery to see if that helps.

My other SE which my son uses was fine under 12, 12.0.1, and is now under 12.1. The only thing I haven’t tried is setting my SE up as new.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Apple has applied power management to the iPhone 8, and 10 and the SE throttling as its called
SE was subject to throttling for some time now. It doesn't mean that it kicks in suddenly for everyone or anything like that.

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
My SE was getting worse and worse on battery - you could see the numbers going down when updating apps for example, but IOS insisted that it was still on 85% efficiency. CocoNut Battery had it at 79-80% so I took it to the Apple Store for a replacement battery.
There was no quibbling from the staff once they had completed diagnostics, so I left the phone with them and took a wander.
2 hours later I went back to collect my phone, only to be told that they'd broken it inside trying to get the old battery out, and supplied a brand new SE for me !
Result, new phone for the same price as battery replacement :)

So far, the morning after replacement, battery life seems fairly normal and without any sudden drops in %.

Cheers :)

Hugh

RickFF

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2016
S Florida
I'm having a problem on my SE getting Bluetooth to work. Not sure if my problem is unique to me or not. Since I upgraded to 12.0.1 (not 12.1) my 2016 Honda Accord has trouble pairing with my phone. I've done all the recommendations... turn off BT, restart phone, tune BT back on, forget device, re-pair, etc. In my wife's 2015 Accord I never can get it to pair. My 2016 Accord will pair after about 5 to 6 tries. Very frustrating. I never had this problem with the older IOS version... even 11.4.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
Thank you SO much @torakaru I will remain on iOS 10.2, the last iOS version who didn't eat up a lot of battery life and wasn't involved on the battery-gate. Remember, it was with iOS 10.2.1 that Apple introduced the slow down for old iPhone batteries, and from there battery-life began to go down. With iOS 11 taking a big hit and iOS 12 taking a bigger one on the battery. I'm glad I didn't update on almost a couple of years my SE (which is almost identical to your 6S).

Apple introduced APFS on iOS 10.3, and it was a definitive version on iOS 11. Maybe this had something to do with lower battery life? Something has gone terribly bad regarding iOS power consumption. Maybe iOS is now designed for systems with Neural Engines like the Apple A11 and A12 devices? Honestly I don't know.

I just know that I will hold with an outdated iPhone with iOS 10, and I hope not to lose any compatibility with my mac/iPad ecosystem when I start using Mojave and iOS 12 on them, respectively.

iOS 11 was the best OS on my SE to date. Amazing performance and outstanding battery life. 12 has had the best performance to date, but marginal battery life.

After turning off Screen Time for a week my SE is now back to performing like normal. I can run the battery down to 1 or 2% and the phone still functions perfectly fine both with and without power saver mode. No more unexpected shutdowns since I turned off the screen time feature. I will keep it off until the issue is addressed, and probably buy a new battery as well and call it a day.

Good to know. I’ll give that a try. I’m planning on replacing my battery this month.

Unless you’re just trying to find a deal, brand new SEs can be had at most major carriers.

Reactions: Populus

redfirebird08

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2007

Noticed you have a 64 gig SE. I bought this one from eBay recently. Slow shipping, but a good purchase overall. Took it to my cellular provider and they activated my phone number on it without any extra charges.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-UNOPENDED-Apple-iPhone-SE-16-64GB-4-0-Unlocked-Smartphone/253827926983?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=553118762697&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

dcpmark

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2009
Noticed you have a 64 gig SE. I bought this one from eBay recently. Slow shipping, but a good purchase overall. Took it to my cellular provider and they activated my phone number on it without any extra charges.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-UNOPENDED-Apple-iPhone-SE-16-64GB-4-0-Unlocked-Smartphone/253827926983?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=553118762697&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

X-Channel is an awesome ebay seller! I bought two SEs from them, and one had a power button that went bad after 30 days, and they are replacing it at no cost. They even paid for it to be shipped back. Very slow shipping, but excellent customer service.
[doublepost=1541297020][/doublepost]
My SE was getting worse and worse on battery - you could see the numbers going down when updating apps for example, but IOS insisted that it was still on 85% efficiency. CocoNut Battery had it at 79-80% so I took it to the Apple Store for a replacement battery.
There was no quibbling from the staff once they had completed diagnostics, so I left the phone with them and took a wander.
2 hours later I went back to collect my phone, only to be told that they'd broken it inside trying to get the old battery out, and supplied a brand new SE for me !
Result, new phone for the same price as battery replacement :)

So far, the morning after replacement, battery life seems fairly normal and without any sudden drops in %.

Hugh

Same story as you sans the broken phone. My launch day SE said 98% capacity, which is not possible for a daily use phone. Coconutbattery said low 80s, so I paid the $29.99 for a new battery today. 1.5 hours later I got it back, and no more big battery drain and it no longer gets hot on the charger when at 100%.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe

Thank you,

Today I purchased an iPhone 8 and the screen is awesome but... I feel it too big and slippery, so rounded... so I will give it a shot, and if I dont get used to it, Ill return it and go for a refurbished SE replacement at the Apple Store. It can be a Samsung A9 (I had a TSMC chip), with iOS 12 and poor battery life, but at less than half the price of an iPhone 8.

Reactions: redfirebird08

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
X-Channel is an awesome ebay seller! I bought two SEs from them, and one had a power button that went bad after 30 days, and they are replacing it at no cost. They even paid for it to be shipped back. Very slow shipping, but excellent customer service.
[doublepost=1541297020][/doublepost]

Same story as you sans the broken phone. My launch day SE said 98% capacity, which is not possible for a daily use phone. Coconutbattery said low 80s, so I paid the $29.99 for a new battery today. 1.5 hours later I got it back, and no more big battery drain and it no longer gets hot on the charger when at 100%.
Yes, same here, after a couple of days battery usage is back to normal.
The cynic in me wonders if IOS is falsifying battery capacity in some way ;)

Hugh

BleedingCash

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2018
Hi,

After reading the most recent posts here in this thread...after the iOS 12.1 release...I get the feeling that the only way for iOS 12 battery life on the iPhone SE to be "normal", or "acceptable", is if you have the battery replaced. Can anyone else confirm that this is the general results vibe? Or are there others out there with an iPhone SE that's 1,or 2, years old that upgraded to iOS 12.1 that can confirm that battery life is "OK", or better, than before? Thanks for the help!

BleedingCash

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2018
@BleedingCash you find battery life even worse on iOS 12.1?

Let's see if anyone else thinks the same.

Hi @Populus. No. I haven't updated to iOS 12.1 yet, for fear of worse battery life. :( It's actually my wife's phone and she would kill me if I convinced her to update to iOS 12.1 (she's on iOS 9) and the battery life got worse. Battery life is fine right now for her on iOS 9. Thanks!

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Honestly @BleedingCash, if her SE is on iOS 9, she's gonna notice worse battery life. Everything after iOS 10.3 went downhill, and every update seemed a bit (or a lot) worse.

That SE is going to gain a lot of functionalities, but at the expense of battery life.

Reactions: max2

ChrisChaval

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2016
Milan, Italy

have the battery replaced

I did the same today with my old SE and it is like having a new phone

Reactions: dcpmark and Populus

BleedingCash

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2018
Honestly @BleedingCash, if her SE is on iOS 9, she's gonna notice worse battery life. Everything after iOS 10.3 went downhill, and every update seemed a bit (or a lot) worse.

That SE is going to gain a lot of functionalities, but at the expense of battery life.

Hi @Polulus. Thanks so much for that info. I think I will not encourage her to update, then. For my wife, battery life and simply "a functional phone" are more important than features, or even a speed boost. She hasn't complained about the phone in any way, so I know I'm better off leaving things alone knowing these facts you've shared. Thanks agian.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 3, 2009
Hi,

After reading the most recent posts here in this thread...after the iOS 12.1 release...I get the feeling that the only way for iOS 12 battery life on the iPhone SE to be "normal", or "acceptable", is if you have the battery replaced. Can anyone else confirm that this is the general results vibe? Or are there others out there with an iPhone SE that's 1,or 2, years old that upgraded to iOS 12.1 that can confirm that battery life is "OK", or better, than before? Thanks for the help!

My SE is about 14 months old. The battery life has always been great, and it has not changed when installing iOS 12. It didn't get better or worse. It's exactly the same as before, as far as I can tell. At the end of an average day, I have about 60%-70% remaining.

Reactions: radubraharu

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Hi @Polulus. Thanks so much for that info. I think I will not encourage her to update, then. For my wife, battery life and simply "a functional phone" are more important than features, or even a speed boost. She hasn't complained about the phone in any way, so I know I'm better off leaving things alone knowing these facts you've shared. Thanks agian.
I use a 6s on iOS 9. The best advice you can give her is to never update. Battery life decreased hugely with iOS 11 and newer, in every case I have seen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.