Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
My SE is performing very well on iOS12… better than 11 definitely.
No issues. Decent battery life etc.

However, I am holding off from updating to 12.1… just worried it'll break the sweet spot I find myself in now.

dcpmark

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2009
have the battery replaced

I did the same today with my old SE and it is like having a new phone

I should mention in my case I was still seeing “draining” issues on the new battery until I did a battery recalibration.....perfect from then on.

ChrisChaval

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2016
Milan, Italy
My SE is performing very well on iOS12… better than 11 definitely.
No issues. Decent battery life etc.

However, I am holding off from updating to 12.1… just worried it'll break the sweet spot I find myself in now.

I did not observe any difference going from 12.01 to 12.1 neither on my 3 month SE nor on my 2 plus years old SE (both performed within their expected and known limits)

what may be a contributing factor in this thread might be the fact that the SE's are getting old by now, old in battery terms

people like me who got their SE 2+ years ago will inevitably face battery issues sooner or later and might attribute a decrease in performance to a new iOS when in fact it just might be the ageing battery that is starting to cause problems

Reactions: arkitect

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
I did not observe any difference going from 12.01 to 12.1 neither on my 3 month SE nor on my 2 plus years old SE (both performed within their expected and known limits)

what may be a contributing factor in this thread might be the fact that the SE's are getting old by now, old in battery terms

people like me who got their SE 2+ years ago will inevitably face battery issues sooner or later and might attribute a decrease in performance to a new iOS when in fact it just might be the ageing battery that is starting to cause problems
No, it is not the battery health. iOS versions decrease battery life regardless of battery health. The impact of battery health to battery life is extremely minimal, in every case I have seen. The impact of iOS updates to battery life is enormous.

Reactions: arkitect

BleedingCash

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2018
My SE is about 14 months old. The battery life has always been great, and it has not changed when installing iOS 12. It didn't get better or worse. It's exactly the same as before, as far as I can tell. At the end of an average day, I have about 60%-70% remaining.

Hi @baryon. Thanks for your feedback. Did you turn off any particular features that you feel has given you a better battery life experience in iOS 12 than other people have reported? Thanks!
[doublepost=1541534611][/doublepost]
No, it is not the battery health. iOS versions decrease battery life regardless of battery health. The impact of battery health to battery life is extremely minimal, in every case I have seen. The impact of iOS updates to battery life is enormous.

Hi @FeliApple. That's what I was wondering. If there's a noticeable difference (degradation) in battery life on an iPhone immediately after updating the iOS, then I'd agree that it's hard to deny that the new iOS is the cause.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Hi @baryon. Thanks for your feedback. Did you turn off any particular features that you feel has given you a better battery life experience in iOS 12 than other people have reported? Thanks!
[doublepost=1541534611][/doublepost]

Hi @FeliApple. That's what I was wondering. If there's a noticeable difference (degradation) in battery life on an iPhone immediately after updating the iOS, then I'd agree that it's hard to deny that the new iOS is the cause.
That has always been the case; yet, it's constantly denied. Never update, and you'll be fine.

BleedingCash

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2018
That has always been the case; yet, it's constantly denied. Never update, and you'll be fine.

Hi @FeliApple. Thanks. My wife and her aunt have been long time iPhone users and my wife never updates, but her aunt did once and had a terrible experience (phone got super slow). I just got my first iPhone (an iPhone 8) and it's running iOS 11.4.1 and I'm even afraid to update to iOS 12 myself. The phone is literally a week old, but I'm still hesitant. Haha. Thanks.

ChrisChaval

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2016
Milan, Italy

Up until iOS 12 I would have agreed with you

But, in my mind, iOS 12 is one of the best iOS releases yet and can only get better with minor updates

PS: I rather have a slow phone than a breached phone

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Up until iOS 12 I would have agreed with you

But, in my mind, iOS 12 is one of the best iOS releases yet and can only get better with minor updates

PS: I rather have a slow phone than a breached phone
Check my posts, security is a non-issue. Battery life has been affected by iOS 12. As you say, as a "novelty" performance hasn't, but battery life has.
Hi @FeliApple. Thanks. My wife and her aunt have been long time iPhone users and my wife never updates, but her aunt did once and had a terrible experience (phone got super slow). I just got my first iPhone (an iPhone 8) and it's running iOS 11.4.1 and I'm even afraid to update to iOS 12 myself. The phone is literally a week old, but I'm still hesitant. Haha. Thanks.
Leave it on 11.4.1 forever and you won't have any issue. I am using an iPhone 6s on iOS 9 flawlessly. If it works, don't fix it. I had two bad experiences with updates 5 years ago. From that point, I said I would never update anything again. I instruct everyone to do the same. Barely anyone listens, but my closest family members do. Every single device I have works perfectly (how curious: 5-6 year-old devices get perfect battery life. I wonder why...)
Do you want an example? My iPod Touch 5G on iOS 6 opens apps in under a second. It rivals my 6s in speed. A 6 year-old device! If I updated it and asked about battery life, I'd get: too old, throw it away. Well, what battery life can you expect?! A 6-year-old device!
I tested on-screen battery life in 2012 when I got it: 7 hours. I tested on-screen battery life in 2015, same usage: 7 hours. I tested on-screen battery life in 2018: 7 hours. Lasts the same. Why? Because I never updated it. 6 years later.

Reactions: Fozamo and Hal~9000

ChrisChaval

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2016
Milan, Italy
security is a non-issue.

this is quite a dangerous statement to make, you know

it is dangerous for all of us who are using their phones for more than just making phone calls

as of today I perform more data sensitive tasks on my iPhone than I do on any of my computers

do not underestimate the safety issues related to your phone ...

and btw this is exactly why I do not use android phones any more (another topic)

Last edited:

JaxTeller

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2017
Hi,

After reading the most recent posts here in this thread...after the iOS 12.1 release...I get the feeling that the only way for iOS 12 battery life on the iPhone SE to be "normal", or "acceptable", is if you have the battery replaced. Can anyone else confirm that this is the general results vibe? Or are there others out there with an iPhone SE that's 1,or 2, years old that upgraded to iOS 12.1 that can confirm that battery life is "OK", or better, than before? Thanks for the help!
No don't think so, my battery is perfect, so doesn't make sense to replace it just because iOS 12 drains it faster.

douglasf13

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
I was experiencing pretty bad SE battery performance since updating to 12.1 until I turned off ScreenTime, which appears to have fixed the issue for me.

Redhead2425

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2018
NH
I have an iPhone SE that I bought a year ago and I love it. It's fast, small, has very good battery life and runs iOS 11 and all its features perfectly well.

I'm a big fan of the saying: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". This is particularly relevant now, when the Safari 12 update removed all my extensions which I have been relying on for years, without warning or even an option to say "no thanks".

I have had iPhones and iPod Touches and iPads completely ruined by an iOS update in the past and I have learnt from my mistakes: once you update, not even God himself can help you downgrade. Your only option is to sell your phone or live with the performance issues for the rest of your device's life.

So my question is: compared to iOS 11, how is iOS 12 on the iPhone SE? I'm specifically interested in things like animations, keyboard responsiveness, scrolling, opening apps, and general responsiveness. If all of this is as good or better than iOS 11, then I see no reason to avoid updating. But if it's any worse, then I'm sticking with iOS 11 for good.

It’s not any faster on 12.1, the problem is that now you have NO battery life! Dead within minutes since downloading! What a pain in the ***!!! If I were you I would not download. Wish I never had!!

Last edited:

baryon

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 3, 2009
It’s not any faster on 12.1, the problem is that now you have NO battery life! Dead within minutes since downloading! What a pain in the ***!!! If I were you I would not download. Wish I never had!!

I'm using iOS 12.1 now on my SE and there's no difference in battery life compared to iOS 11. I still have about 60-70% remaining at the end of a day most of the time. Overall, most things are a bit faster, some things are the same, and the odd thing (Google Maps) is a bit slower. I'm happy with the upgrade.

MrAverigeUser

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2015
europe
Me and some friends of mine, all using the SE, upgraded some weeks ago and I have to say, it works excellent on our SE 128GB.
It has gotten faster, smoother and even battery time is now better than before. At least for us.
I am VERY satisfied about IOS 12.01
Same for my iPadPro 9,7 on IOS 12.01.

edit:

I care about security and especially privacy.
As being someone often criticizing apple I congratulate apple for their efforts about security and privacy.

edit 2:

DO NOT regard the battery drain of the first days as representative for later use: Spotlight is Indexing for some days, this takes a lot of electric energy. I recommend to upgrade at the end of the day, in best case the weekend, having connected (and letting it be connected) all the time with your charger.

And put off i.e. the WLAN on your iPhone if you leave home, to save a lot of energy AND to protect yourself. Restarting WLAN if needed takes just some clicks and 3 seconds. I think most of people talking about "Massive battery drain" are still in the indexing-procedure or just have everything "on" which is possible. Most of energy is lost by the screen. So shutting down the screen if you don´t use the screen no more is saving energy as well as adjusting brightness at your needs and not always at "max".
Those complaining about battery drain might read all the recommendations about energy saving on the iPhone. Not everyone needs push and pull for emails or notifications for the which you force your iPhone to connect and reconnect all the day to search for actualities... I for myself search with some clicks manually when I have the time to do so. Happily, IOS gives you tons of interesting informations about which apps are draining your battery the most. Even this is worth switching to IOS 12

This is my way to stay free from getting the slave of my smartphone and to block endless disturbing "comfort functions" . STAY FREE as a user.
[doublepost=1541939400][/doublepost]
Here’s how iPhone SE’s battery has transpired.

Assuming 100% health, assuming real world usage and not just time away from charger.

iOS 9 - Up to 13 hrs

iOS 10 - Up to 10 hrs

iOS 11 - Up to 7 hrs

iOS 12 - Approx 4 hrs

iOS 13 is going to be approx 3 hrs.

In case SE supports iOS 14 it will be approx 2 hrs.

If somebody doesn’t realise this is exactly how planned obscolence is done then they are delusional.

Apple is NOT going to fix this.

They might fix the standby drain issue and that might make the SOT 5ish hrs instead of 4 hrs.

But battery life of SE will not go back to the > 10 hrs it was on iOS 9/10.

Not happening. Period.

This is nothing but totally wrong.
Might be depending on the age of users... Childs and very young users will play endlessly with new functions not yet existing in older versions. So - playing endlessly around with new gimmicks and bigger screens does logically drain more energy than before. This has nothing to do with the IOS version itself, but with the way of using your smartphone - certain generations and characters are always playing around and drain more battery than before and those just using the iPhone as before will even benefit from MORE battery life.
it is that easy.
[doublepost=1541940088][/doublepost]
This is not good news with my SE on iOS12. Had an unexpected shutdown today with a message saying that the phone was trying to draw more power than what was available. The SE is only 10 months old with a battery capacity of 100% so this shouldn't be happening. As mentioned before in this post I've had no end of problems since the iOS 12 update.

Warranty claim I think.

The latter might be the case. A friend of mine had similar issues (still under IOS 11) and at the end the SE (albeit nearly new) did not charge at all. It seems that some of the SE-production have charging problems. The friend I mentioned above went to an official apple service and they found a definite charging problem and he got a new one - perfect battery time since then and staying perfect even after upgrading to IOS 12.01.... give it a try for testing if you have to face a similar hardware-problem.

Last edited:

JaxTeller

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2017
Me and some friends of mine, all using the SE, upgraded some weeks ago and I have to say, it works excellent on our SE 128GB.
It has gotten faster, smoother and even battery time is now better than before. At least for us.
I am VERY satisfied about IOS 12.01
Same for my iPadPro 9,7 on IOS 12.01.

edit:

I care about security and especially privacy.
As being someone often criticizing apple I congratulate apple for their efforts about security and privacy.

edit 2:

DO NOT regard the battery drain of the first days as representative for later use: Spotlight is Indexing for some days, this takes a lot of electric energy. I recommend to upgrade at the end of the day, in best case the weekend, having connected (and letting it be connected) all the time with your charger.

And put off i.e. the WLAN on your iPhone if you leave home, to save a lot of energy AND to protect yourself. Restarting WLAN if needed takes just some clicks and 3 seconds. I think most of people talking about "Massive battery drain" are still in the indexing-procedure or just have everything "on" which is possible. Most of energy is lost by the screen. So shutting down the screen if you don´t use the screen no more is saving energy as well as adjusting brightness at your needs and not always at "max".
Those complaining about battery drain might read all the recommendations about energy saving on the iPhone. Not everyone needs push and pull for emails or notifications for the which you force your iPhone to connect and reconnect all the day to search for actualities... I for myself search with some clicks manually when I have the time to do so. Happily, IOS gives you tons of interesting informations about which apps are draining your battery the most. Even this is worth switching to IOS 12

This is my way to stay free from getting the slave of my smartphone and to block endless disturbing "comfort functions" . STAY FREE as a user.
[doublepost=1541939400][/doublepost]

Might be depending on the age of users... Childs and very young users will play endlessly with new functions not yet existing in older versions. So - playing endlessly around with new gimmicks and bigger screens does logically drain more energy than before. This has nothing to do with the IOS version itself, but with the way of using your smartphone - certain generations and characters are always playing around and drain more battery than before and those just using the iPhone as before will even benefit from MORE battery life.
it is that easy.
[doublepost=1541940088][/doublepost]

The latter might be the case. A friend of mine had similar issues (still under IOS 11) and at the end the SE (albeit nearly new) did not charge at all. It seems that some of the SE-production have charging problems. The friend I mentioned above went to an official apple service and they found a definite charging problem and he got a new one - perfect battery time since then and staying perfect even after upgrading to IOS 12.01.... give it a try for testing if you have to face a similar hardware-problem.

is the battery ok compared to iOS 10?

friednoodles

Suspended
Feb 4, 2014
My iPhone SE on 12.0.1 was decent, but since 12.1 I’ve run into a huge battery drain bug that I believe is related to using iCloud Music Library.

With it on, I’ve experienced all kinds of issues with the Music app, like the app being incredibly slow at searching, to as bad as not being able to open the Music app or even the Settings - Music screen. Eventually I had to completely delete the Music app and install it again, but that resulted in huge battery drain once I turned on iCloud Music Library, to the point that the phone became almost too hot to hold and burnt through 40% of battery life over just 25 minutes!

I’ve now given up and have turned iCloud Music Library off again. (the only reason I had it was because I bought my iPhone SE just before they started offering the 128GB model and, along with everything else, my Music Library would be a bit too big to comfortably fit on my 64GB and have enough spare room to not have to worry about running out of space - thankfully my next iPhone will be able to have a larger capacity and I can do away with iCloud Music Library and what appears to be its sync related bugs)

JaxTeller

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2017
My iPhone SE on 12.0.1 was decent, but since 12.1 I’ve run into a huge battery drain bug that I believe is related to using iCloud Music Library.

With it on, I’ve experienced all kinds of issues with the Music app, like the app being incredibly slow at searching, to as bad as not being able to open the Music app or even the Settings - Music screen. Eventually I had to completely delete the Music app and install it again, but that resulted in huge battery drain once I turned on iCloud Music Library, to the point that the phone became almost too hot to hold and burnt through 40% of battery life over just 25 minutes!

I’ve now given up and have turned iCloud Music Library off again. (the only reason I had it was because I bought my iPhone SE just before they started offering the 128GB model and, along with everything else, my Music Library would be a bit too big to comfortably fit on my 64GB and have enough spare room to not have to worry about running out of space - thankfully my next iPhone will be able to have a larger capacity and I can do away with iCloud Music Library and what appears to be its sync related bugs)
I see, weird bug. I just hope iOS 12 gets to be like 10 in terms of battery.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
it is that easy.
This is not true. People generally don't vary widely in phone usage from version to version and there is a huge battery life decline directly after updating, in many cases, both from people on the forums and from lots of iPhones I have seen.

GoCanes

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2016
Hey guys!

I have an iphone SE on ios 9.3.5 should I update it to ios 12.1? Has anyone updated from 9 to 12?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.