Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Unity451

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2011
California
Apple,
As a 4-String Banjo player, I'm a little triggered that I too am not represented in this latest release. I expect this to be given top priority for immediate release.

Reactions: Morod

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
Fantastic news. When I'm eating my onion & garlic oyster dish, in my speedos, with my pet skunk, I no longer need to waste time typing words.

mashdots

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2015
seattle-ish
Came here for the people complaining about new emojis as if apple's added them rather than fixing bugs. Was not disappointed.

I hope that one day people realize that in a tech giant like Apple, bug fixes and emoji additions are handled by different teams altogether.

Reactions: mzubb and MrTemple

alexandr

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
Like I said, I’ve noticed strong correlation with emoji-hate and an utter failure to understand that everybody thinks and experiences the world differently.

i haven't seen hate towards emojis here. it's people unhappy that vital functions aren't working while there is so much focus on emojis.

Reactions: HVDynamo

GeoStructural

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2016
Colombia
If we would’ve just kept everyone yellow and genderless we wouldn’t need all these ridiculous combinations. At the rate we’re going, we’ll soon need a couple depicting a Latin-American cougar female and her younger Anglo lover.

Also, if they’re going to keep adding emojis every 17 seconds, at least give us the option to the hide/delete/organize in a way we see fit for our personal use.

You sir speaking the truth, preach.

Reactions: HVDynamo

alexandr

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
Came here for the people complaining about new emojis as if apple's added them rather than fixing bugs. Was not disappointed.

I hope that one day people realize that in a tech giant like Apple, bug fixes and emoji additions are handled by different teams altogether.

but you were probably disappointed that about five people already beat you to this comment?

Reactions: mashdots

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
Ah, the usual emoji thread.

Q: Why is Apple adding more emoji?
A: Because emoji are a driving factor in getting people to install updates. That's critical especially for updates that also contain security patches.

Q: No seriously, why?
A: Because a new version of Unicode has more available. While Apple is also part of the process deciding which future emoji make it into the standard, they have to agree with the results, just like everyone else. Otherwise, you end up in a situation where Android or Samsung or Windows have emoji that don't render on Apple's OSes, which people will rightfully blame Apple for (and possibly consider it an argument to move to a different OS).

Q: Their software quality has been going downhill.
A: That's not a question.

Q: OK. Shouldn't they invest resources into improving software rather than adding emoji?
A: It's not an either-or proposition. Adding emoji is largely graphics designer work; most of the software engineering (such as a picker for different skin tones) has already been done years ago. So, adding emoji doesn't take up many software engineering resources, and even if it did, Apple has thousands of other software engineers spread around numerous teams. Make the argument that Apple should focus less on features and more on quality, not the argument that in order to do so, they should stop adding emoji.

Q: But emoji are stupid!
A: Also not a question, but a valid opinion. Millions upon millions of people love them, though, and if you don't, they're really not particularly in your way. Not everything Apple does is about you.

Last edited:

rgbrock1

Suspended
Feb 1, 2016
SC
Oh great. More useless emojis from Apple. What would we ever do without emojis? Especially ones like a big pile of stinking sh**. Hey Tim Apple? We're all not 12 years old ya know.

Reactions: user_xyz

MrTemple

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2013
Canadian Pacific North Wilderness
Oh great. More useless emojis from Apple. What would we ever do without emojis? Especially ones like a big pile of stinking sh**. Hey Tim Apple? We're all not 12 years old ya know.

Ever wonder why most major business platforms (team chat, content management, issue trackers, etc, etc) are adding emoji support everywhere they can?

Ever wonder why some people seem to succeed in work/business more than others? Almost as if the people building teams want people who can communicate well and who understand and get along with people who think differently than themselves?

Emojis are basically an interpersonal add-on to the alphabet for times where face-to-face comms isn't possible. If you don't value interpersonal-skills, you're closing yourself off from a BIG part of the world.

rojocrandall

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2009
Still no band-aid!! :mad:
There is one there. Not sure if it came from the iOS 13.2 Beta 2, but when I type "bandaid" into a new text message, a bandaid emoji is available.

Attachments

• band_aid.jpg
    band_aid.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 76
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.