Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

YaBe

Cancelled
Oct 5, 2017
How many Fortune 500 companies have you turned into a top 5 company? Apple’s profits continue to soar; sorry you can’t afford their products. Do better.
This kinda posts are the one that makes me roll of the chair laughing... You act like you dislike things you cannot buy, and that to me is hilarious:D

I cannot buy / afford a Ferrari, but like it very much, there are plenty of things I cannot buy but still like, on the other hand there are plenty of things I can afford but dislike ....
Then there is the assumption, what makes you think he cannot afford it?
And finally, just because a company is making money does not mean they make only good products, heck no company is even too big to fail.

I mean your silliness works on many level here :D

People are entitletd to their opinion (wich is also free BTW), and if they differ from yours you can decide to ignore them or disagree with them, but talking about money just shows you have no arguments.

Last edited:

MacFan23

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2010
AR glasses... Yet more nonsense from Clueless Cook. Hey, Tim, how about instead of creating luxury toys for the rich, how about you bring back tools for regular people such as AirPort Extreme, iPhone SE, and Apple Cinema Display?

Since when were the AirPort Extreme or Apple Cinema Display for regular people?

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
The tech for the iPhone didn’t exist in 2007. Apple had to invent it. Critical technology from multi touch to an entire operating system had to be invented from scratch.

Apple has been working on these glasses for at least the past 4 years that we know of, probably longer if you account for their interest in AR going back 6 or more years. The primary technology is retinal projection. That tech in fact already exists. Apple will have poured billions in R&D into making what already exists into what will feel like technology from the future when introduced.

The iPhone did not feel possible in 2007. There was simply nothing like it nor since then for years after. The trinity of Watch + AirPods + Glasses have the potential to repeat that surge in technological advance.
I get the sentiment you're going for here. You just went about it the wrong way by trying to rewrite history. Your "facts" about the tech for the iPhone are simply untrue. Of course all of that tech existed in 2007. Apple didn't just invent everything in a single year... and they didn't invent multi-touch at all. Again, I get what point you're trying to convey. There are better ways for you to do it without misremembering or remixing history.

gregrichards

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2008
These are not for me even the Apple Watch seemed a pointless waste of money when I had one. I don’t want to walk about looking like I should be on the Star Trek enterprise. Just wait for them to be banned in public places like cinemas etc or when you are driving.

Reactions: AlexGraphicD

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007
As Wayne Gretzky once said: You need to skate where the puck will be, not where it has been. Steve Jobs followed that rule (Link) and so does Tim Cook. The products you mentioned are products of the past. AR will become a really big thing.

You could argue whether Apple needs to support older tech for longer while skating to the new place, but your dumb personal attack disqualify you for any further discussion.

For the beginning, yes. Long term, Apple Watch will do the "heavy lifting" and eventually replace the iPhone for most everyday tasks, with the AR glasses taking over the role of the AppleWatch as the slightly underpowered and battery-hungry device that has to rely on a supporting device for a couple of years.

I'm really looking forward to not be bound to a smallish Smartphone display anymore. Biggest problem I do see, though, is a proper user interface, if you want to use virtual screens with the trinity of AR glasses, AirPods and AppleWatch (as central CPU).
Really wasn’t a personal attack, he called Tim Cook clueless about products....which is true. Even Jobs said Cook wasn’t a product guy. They just released a credit card. A CREDIT CARD. No hockey being played here.

AR is not going to be really big. No one will wear glasses that doesn’t need them. Even people that wear glasses don’t like wearing glasses. AR is much more powerful inside an

iPhone, and even then, the usefulness is limited. I played hockey all my life. The Zamboni is cleaning up the AR dreams.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
AR glasses... Yet more nonsense from Clueless Cook. Hey, Tim, how about instead of creating luxury toys for the rich, how about you bring back tools for regular people such as AirPort Extreme, iPhone SE, and Apple Cinema Display?
Unfortunately none of those sold very well, which likely had something to do with why they were discontinued.

If enough people wanted it—and if they’d pay $899 for an SE-sized XS—Apple would probably make it, but that’s a lot of “ifs”.

I do wish Apple would sell a 27” 5K monitor in the 27” iMac form factor, but apparently they don’t see a sufficient market for it.

Last edited:

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Interesting concept, with a ton of potential, but a lot of things would need to line up perfectly for me to ever consider such a product. I think we are still a ways away, but good to see Apple progressing here.

Reactions: Morgenland

TheShadowKnows!

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2014
National Capital Region
The tech for the iPhone didn’t exist in 2007. Apple had to invent it. Critical technology from multi touch to an entire operating system had to be invented from scratch.

Apple has been working on these glasses for at least the past 4 years that we know of, probably longer if you account for their interest in AR going back 6 or more years. The primary technology is retinal projection. That tech in fact already exists. Apple will have poured billions in R&D into making what already exists into what will feel like technology from the future when introduced.

The iPhone did not feel possible in 2007. There was simply nothing like it nor since then for years after. The trinity of Watch + AirPods + Glasses have the potential to repeat that surge in technological advance.

You speak with such conviction. Do some research. And educate yourself before posting false claims.

Multi-touch was shown and invented by Jeff Han while at NYU, and not Apple.
"Bi-manual, multi-point, and multi-user interactions on a graphical display surface."
https://mrl.nyu.edu/~jhan/ftirtouch/

By the way, no one debates the ability of Apple to package and connect existing technologies onto a well-designed rendition. But Apple "borrows", "miniaturizes" and "renders". Nothing wrong with that.

Last edited:

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Really wasn’t a personal attack, he called Tim Cook clueless about products....which is true. Even Jobs said Cook wasn’t a product guy. They just released a credit card. A CREDIT CARD. No hockey being played here.

I disagree. As the Great One pointed out, you need to go where you can have the maximum impact to make a play. I Apple's case, having a credit card taps them into the payment, as well as purchase, revenue stream from services and subscriptions. That is a potentially lucrative revenue stream for Apple, and vey complementary to what they already sell.

AR is not going to be really big. No one will wear glasses that doesn’t need them. Even people that wear glasses don’t like wearing glasses.

I'm not so sure about that. It may not become as ubiquitous in as short a period of time as the iPhone and it's competition; but as more uses are discovered it may catch on. Right now, I see it as having potential for cases where you want to show someone what to do or offer advice. For example, you coud guide someone to a specific location, higlight what is there visually rather than trying to explain via a radio. Think of it as someone remotely controlling the moves of someone in the field. Rescuers could, for example, be guided through a location by someone familiar with it who is located elsewhere.

Sports team could use them to coach players by augmenting what they see with coaching instructions, or even adding in players without actually having to line up. For example, teaching a QB how to better run the RPO. You could see exactly what they see as well as correct errors immediately and rerun the play, given an atehlete many more reps tahn they currently can get.

Video games and amusement rides, as well as historical tours, could become more immersive. Video conferencing can take on a more of the I am there feel than today.

I doubt they will become must have items near term but the potential remains to be seen.
[doublepost=1567428731][/doublepost]
By the way, no one debates the ability of Apple to package and connect existing technologies onto a well-designed rendition. But Apple "borrows", "miniaturizes" and "renders". Nothing wrong with that.

True. Some of the most successful tech companies are fast followers that take an existing idea and successfully commercialize it and develop a large market.

davidec

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2008
This mock-up looks like ICBerlins. If they get some cool behind them and make them genuinely useful then people will find a reason to wear glasses. Wearables is the future and this would be a good move imo. I’m in.

ocnitsa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
I think the first target for this is business...rather than consumers. You may not think it will be useful, but if the leading doctor on open heart surgery is able to “attend” an operation on your loved one remotely (rather than not at all, in order to assist), and have a virtual birds eye view, you may change your tune. For businesses that rely on crappy solutions like Skype, Apple will be able to provide a better virtually embodied solution where participants feel like they are working side by side, rather than through a laptop window. A factory worker experiencing a problem with heavy machinery is visually led to the shut off switch at the first sign of trouble. I’m sure there are dozens of other workplace and industry centric applications for AR and a headset with decent characteristics. The consumer stuff will be developed, too, but probably on a similar model to the watch which has focused first on issues like health over fluff.

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013
By Innovation Only. I love how Apple is baiting the haters with that invite slogan.
I'll bet they don't just do visual but also sound via bone conduction too using the H1 chip or a variant.
That's the thing I think gives Apple the edge right now, it's the in house silicon they are churning out.
ARM processors that are still years ahead of the competition and Face ID that has yet to be replicated as well.
Touch ID? Pfff... So yesterday... My iPhone X is coming up on 2 and still feels super fast and state of the art.

Spruce Goose is yet to be replicated either. Innovation.

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013
These are not for me even the Apple Watch seemed a pointless waste of money when I had one. I don’t want to walk about looking like I should be on the Star Trek enterprise. Just wait for them to be banned in public places like cinemas etc or when you are driving.

They'll be automatically banned from airports (security and border checks) too

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011

No thanks. I get why some people want to stay stuck in the past, though. It's comfortable, like an old pair of Levi's. And for some, like USB-A.

Reactions: MrUNIMOG

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013
I think the first target for this is business...rather than consumers. You may not think it will be useful, but if the leading doctor on open heart surgery is able to “attend” an operation on your loved one remotely (rather than not at all, in order to assist), and have a virtual birds eye view, you may change your tune. For businesses that rely on crappy solutions like Skype, Apple will be able to provide a better virtually embodied solution where participants feel like they are working side by side, rather than through a laptop window. A factory worker experiencing a problem with heavy machinery is visually led to the shut off switch at the first sign of trouble. I’m sure there are dozens of other workplace and industry centric applications for AR and a headset with decent characteristics. The consumer stuff will be developed, too, but probably on a similar model to the watch which has focused first on issues like health over fluff.

Tim Cook puts 720p cameras in $2000 laptops. If you think the technology in these glasses would be suitable for surgeries you're out of your mind.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009

Apple would make a killing on something like an AirPort Mesh.

Reactions: ThomasJL

Applebot1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2014
UK
It’s very much the future and looking forward to the next chapter of Apple.

In terms of development, it will probably follow the Apple watch path and be coupled with the iPhone but eventually be stand alone.

I also can envisage the glasses being in a charging case like the AirPods.

If they price it like the Apple Watch and make them customisable, they will have a good chance of success.

Reactions: MrUNIMOG

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013
It’s very much the future and looking forward to the next chapter of Apple.

In terms of development, it will probably follow the Apple watch path and be coupled with the iPhone but eventually be stand alone.

When did that happen?

Apple Watch Series 4 (GPS + Cellular) requires an iPhone 6 or later with iOS 12 or later.
Apple Watch Series 4 (GPS) requires an iPhone 5s or later with iOS 12 or later.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.