Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UltimaKilo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2007
FL
Should have killed the iPhone 6 and it’s crappy hardware long ago, been holding us back. Glad to see Apple back to pushing the envelope!

trusso

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2003
At what point will the iOS upgrade render my device inoperable with the High Sierra, Sierra, or El Capitan? There are a large minority of users, who for very valid reasons, choose to stay with what works - even if that means being a few years out-of-date.

My worry is that sooner or later incompatibilities will arise, for which there is little-to-no warning, and the criminal inability to downgrade one's device will throw a beautiful wrench in some people's workflows.

Reactions: saytheenay

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008
Your iPhone 7?? What about my iPhone SE!? I'm on the bottom rung now... It'll be a whisper-and-a-prayer if I get iOS 14.
You won't get iOS 14. Apple has about a 5 year cycle for iPhones getting the newest version of iOS (no iPhone 6 which came out 5 years ago in September).

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
Your iPhone 7?? What about my iPhone SE!? I'm on the bottom rung now... It'll be a whisper-and-a-prayer if I get iOS 14. :( I'm just hoping there's a new SE 2 in the wings... But I already see what they've laid out for me, and I don't drink that kool-aid. iPhone XR is a fabulous item; I want a flat back, flat edges, WITHOUT a goram case, that I can sit/stand it to take photos with my Apple Watch remote camera. WTF is the point of the Apple Watch remote camera if the stupid phone is on a curved edge? Are the designers nuts? Or just out of touch with their own reality?

I traded in my humongous iPhone 6 for an SE as soon as I had the cash in hand and a trade-in value quote. Glad I did. I have the only 4" rose gold color model ever made. No other 4" phone has that color mix. It's a nice uniquity. I'm gonna be a little sad if there's no equivalent model this coming September, or next March.
Yeah sadly my iPhone 6 is under the bus.
[doublepost=1559596230][/doublepost]And my friends iPhone 5S is sadly not getting an update.

Reactions: SantaFeNM

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I don't see why people are complaining about dropping support for the iPhone 6. When they make the OS do more it's going to require newer hardware.

Your iPhone 6 will not magically stop working. It just won't be able to update to the latest OS. If you want the latest version of the OS a five year old phone isn't going to cut it.

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
My friend bought a brand new iPhone 6 last year from his carrier and it came with iOS 11, even though the original iOS was version eight they only have one more version they can upgrade to.

Reminds me of when I bought the last G5 in the summer and it came with leopard I think, but there was no additional OS X versions to install on it after that.

TrowaNY

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2014
I don't see why people are complaining about dropping support for the iPhone 6. When they make the OS do more it's going to require newer hardware.

Your iPhone 6 will not magically stop working. It just won't be able to update to the latest OS. If you want the latest version of the OS a five year old phone isn't going to cut it.

No one wants to be left behind. Especially people with new phones from the iPhone 6 battery replacement saga.

DailySlow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2015
NOVA
Your iPhone 7?? What about my iPhone SE!? I'm on the bottom rung now... It'll be a whisper-and-a-prayer if I get iOS 14. :( I'm just hoping there's a new SE 2 in the wings... But I already see what they've laid out for me, and I don't drink that kool-aid. iPhone XR is a fabulous item; I want a flat back, flat edges, WITHOUT a goram case, that I can sit/stand it to take photos with my Apple Watch remote camera. WTF is the point of the Apple Watch remote camera if the stupid phone is on a curved edge? Are the designers nuts? Or just out of touch with their own reality?

I traded in my humongous iPhone 6 for an SE as soon as I had the cash in hand and a trade-in value quote. Glad I did. I have the only 4" rose gold color model ever made. No other 4" phone has that color mix. It's a nice uniquity. I'm gonna be a little sad if there's no equivalent model this coming September, or next March.
Have a rose gold SE as well. Great phone/great video&camera/best size ever.

lec0rsaire

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2017
My iPad Air 1 is not supported and I’m not surprised. Either way Apple bricked mine with 12.3. Thanks Apple! The digitizer doesn’t respond at all and honestly it’s not worth fixing even though it’s in mint condition.
[doublepost=1559599009][/doublepost]
Well I knew the 5S would be on the way out as it will be six years come September when it launched but I'm a little surprised about the 6. I honestly thought it would be supported for one more year.

It’s because the A8 wasn’t much stronger than the A7. The A9 was a major leap. The A10 had some gains over it and then the A11 was another big leap over the A10. There’s a chart where they plot these performance gains.

But the single gig of RAM is also problematic and that’s probably the reason why A7/A8 devices can’t run iOS 13 well.

Reactions: rumormiller

Dangermen

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2017
Let me get this straight, an iPad Air with an A7 is supported by an iPhone 6 with an A8 isn’t? That is seriously stupid.

peglegjack

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
It was said when it launched that it was the longevity model, and so it has been. Triple core cpu and 2 GB RAM have made it very capable over time.

There were a lot of discussions on these forums back then that that was the case for sure, which is why I bought it on launch day. Seems like a good decision so far...

Reactions: ingik

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
No one wants to be left behind. Especially people with new phones from the iPhone 6 battery replacement saga.
If someone feels that not having the latest OS is being "left behind" then they need to upgrade their phone. If you're still using an iPhone 6 in 2019 you're already behind. Saying that because they got Apple to install a new battery for $29 doesn't mean they have a new phone.

I have the feeling that Apple tested it on the iPhone 6 but performance was subpar. Can you imagine the complaints if people updated their iPhone 6 and it was even ten percent slower. All you would hear is "Apple is forcing me to buy a new phone"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.