Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bodonnell202

macrumors 68020
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Never mind, I see what I missed
Assuming you missed the part that said "3rd Generation"?
[doublepost=1559604712][/doublepost]
If someone feels that not having the latest OS is being "left behind" then they need to upgrade their phone. If you're still using an iPhone 6 in 2019 you're already behind. Saying that because they got Apple to install a new battery for $29 doesn't mean they have a new phone.

I have the feeling that Apple tested it on the iPhone 6 but performance was subpar. Can you imagine the complaints if people updated their iPhone 6 and it was even ten percent slower. All you would hear is "Apple is forcing me to buy a new phone"
Yep, the whole iPod Touch 7 released a week before WWDC with no changes other than an upgrade to the A10 (and 2 GB of RAM) suggests that at one point they were planning to bring iOS 13 to all A8 devices, but during testing the devices with only 1 GB of RAM just were performing well and the decision was made to cut A8 devices with 1 GB of RAM. They then had to come up with a replacement for the Touch 7 before WWDC...

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
My iPad Air 1 is not supported and I’m not surprised. Either way Apple bricked mine with 12.3. Thanks Apple! The digitizer doesn’t respond at all and honestly it’s not worth fixing even though it’s in mint condition.
[doublepost=1559599009][/doublepost]

It’s because the A8 wasn’t much stronger than the A7. The A9 was a major leap. The A10 had some gains over it and then the A11 was another big leap over the A10. There’s a chart where they plot these performance gains.

But the single gig of RAM is also problematic and that’s probably the reason why A7/A8 devices can’t run iOS 13 well.
Yeah, I think it’s even possible that the 6s/SE may get iOS 14 if it's like iOS 12, mostly a maintenance update. Keep in mind that both iPhone 7 and 8 only have 2GB of RAM as well.

Reactions: rumormiller

lec0rsaire

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2017
Yeah, I think it’s even possible that the 6s/SE may get iOS 14 if it's like iOS 12, mostly a maintenance update. Keep in mind that the iPhone 7/8 only has 2GB of RAM as well.

The 4.7” ones do but my 7 Plus and the 8 Plus both have 3 GB LPDDR4 RAM. Well the 8 Plus technically has LPDDR4X but that’s a minor difference.

Salvor Hardin

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2013
Their inability to give their devices a standard number of years of support is terrible, I took forward to seeing people say how 2GB is a limiting factor for killing off the 6S then the 3GB etc, “you have to understand your $1000+ Phone only has 4GB of RAM so no iOS 20 for it, good riddance”
Apple lost a boatload of sales last year when they both had the cheap battery replacement program combined with a iOS update that was legitimately performance focused.

genovelle

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
I also have to say RIP iPhone 6S, one of the best iPhones they have ever made, along with the iPhone 4....
They said the 6S was supported in the write up even though it’s not in the list after it. The 6 is not supported.

Reactions: apolloa

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Their inability to give their devices a standard number of years of support is terrible, I took forward to seeing people say how 2GB is a limiting factor for killing off the 6S then the 3GB etc, “you have to understand your $1000+ Phone only has 4GB of RAM so no iOS 20 for it, good riddance”
Apple lost a boatload of sales last year when they both had the cheap battery replacement program combined with a iOS update that was legitimately performance focused.
I'm not sure if you're fishing but Apple supports their phones far longer than other manufacturers. It's generally five years. No the iPhone X won't work with iOS 20 LOL

And yes they lose sales due to people keeping their devices longer.

saytheenay

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2012
Wow, got a touch 6 for Christmas (for the headphone jack feature). It runs iOS 12.3.1 just fine, but I guess that's it. Pretty big rip off. Guess they figure touch 6 users probably aren't Apple Music subscribers, so who cares if they get screwed?

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Wow, got a touch 6 for Christmas (for the headphone jack feature). It runs iOS 12.3.1 just fine, but I guess that's it. Pretty big rip off. Guess they figure touch 6 users probably aren't Apple Music subscribers, so who cares if they get screwed?
What are you going on about? Apple Music will still be available in iOS 12. They're not going to shut down your iPod or anything LOL

JSRinUK

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2018
Greater London, UK
Glad my SE got a extended lease of life. As a runner, there is no other iPhone that’s the right size for me. I’d buy an SE2 in a heartbeat, though.

Sad that my old iPad mini 2 didn’t make the grade, but that kind of justifies my purchase of the mini 5 a little bit ago.

k27

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2018
Europe
Even though, the A8 process is still decent for the iPod touch and it still has plenty of life left, even though won’t receive updates anymore, it’s a solid device.
Wasn't the old iPod Touch sold until some time ago?
What about security updates?

Salvor Hardin

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2013
I'm not sure if you're fishing but Apple supports their phones far longer than other manufacturers. It's generally five years. No the iPhone X won't work with iOS 20 LOL

And yes they lose sales due to people keeping their devices longer.
Why wouldn’t it work with it? People just say blanket statements like you did when the X already outspecs a lot of desktops from the previous decade. It’s great that Apple supports their devices longer but they’ll still being arbitrary about it and will become increasingly more arbitrary in the future when the iPhone X5 with 8GBs of RAM with 20 cores or whatever is deemed not enough for a update and some poster here will say “good riddance” just like the did in this thread about the 6.

The bottomline to all of this is that they’re feeling increasing pressure from losing sales due to people keeping older devices and that’s driving some decisions currently and going forward.

Locoman

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2011
Should have killed the iPhone 6 and it’s crappy hardware long ago, been holding us back. Glad to see Apple back to pushing the envelope!
My 6 is still running strong, hope to last another year. Although I did replace the battery when I replace the broken screen last month.

Last edited:

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Seriously?

Apple is dropping support for the 6+? It still runs great and it's not even five years old yet. I replaced my 4S because the 6+ was obviously the best phone ever, bar none, and would last me a long time.

I don't feel that way at all with the current iPhone lineup. Everything is just absurdly expensive, and I don't know what I'm getting for my money other than the ability to run the latest version of iOS (which... what does that get me? Dark mode? I'm going to spend $1250 for dark mode?)

Apple won't be adding 5G this year...
screw Apple. I'm just going to keep using iOS 12 and they can have fun with the fact that they've split their user base.

w_aldo

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2018
Stockton-on-Tees, UK
My iPad Air 1 is not supported and I’m not surprised. Either way Apple bricked mine with 12.3. Thanks Apple! The digitizer doesn’t respond at all and honestly it’s not worth fixing even though it’s in mint condition.
[doublepost=1559599009][/doublepost]

It’s because the A8 wasn’t much stronger than the A7. The A9 was a major leap. The A10 had some gains over it and then the A11 was another big leap over the A10. There’s a chart where they plot these performance gains.

But the single gig of RAM is also problematic and that’s probably the reason why A7/A8 devices can’t run iOS 13 well.
That is the reason. The iPad mini 4 has the A8, but 2GB RAM. Meaning that lack of RAM is the reason for the lack of support.
[doublepost=1559842484][/doublepost]
I echo your sentiment. 6s Plus is my daily driver. I've said for the past 2 years it's been the best iDevice IMO. Mechanical Home button w/second gen Touch ID, 3D Touch, headphone jack...
The 6s is still supported.

Reactions: lec0rsaire
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.