Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As Apple prepares to unveil its next-generation version of iOS, iOS 14, new iOS installation numbers indicate that iOS 13, the current update, is installed on 92 percent of all iPhones introduced in the last four years.

iphoneipadios13installation.jpg

Seven percent of iPhones released in the last four years run iOS 12, and two percent run an earlier version of iOS.

When it comes to all iPhones, including those that were released more than four years ago, 81 percent of devices have iOS 13 installed. 13 percent are running iOS 12, and six percent are running an earlier version of iOS.

As for the iPad, 93 percent of all iPads introduced in the last four years run iPadOS, while five percent run iOS 12 and just one percent run an earlier version of iOS.

When counting all iPads still in use, 73 percent run iPadOS, 16 percent run iOS 12, and 11 percent run an earlier version of iOS.

Apple hasn't released updated iOS installation numbers since January, and over the course of the last several months, many more people have upgraded to the iOS 13 operating system.

At the end of January, iOS 13 was installed on 77 percent of iPhones released in the last four years, and 79 percent of iPads released in the last four years.

Apple will introduce iOS 14 on Monday, June 22 at its WWDC keynote, with the update set to be released in the fall alongside new iPhones. As work picks up on iOS 14, Apple will focus less on iOS 13 in order to add features and fixes to the new update.

Article Link: iOS 13 Installed on 92% of iPhones Released in Last Four Years

Jim

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2000
Chicago, IL
They nag you to death with daily reminders that requires multiple screen progression before you can go back to using the watch or phone or iPad. Nice to know that some people can still resist the 1984 approach that Apple takes to force "updates" which many times eliminate uses or possibilities. "Security" should not mean, you can't do this anymore.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
They nag you to death with daily reminders that requires multiple screen progression before you can go back to using the watch or phone or iPad. Nice to know that some people can still resist the 1984 approach that Apple takes to force "updates" which many times eliminate uses or possibilities. "Security" should not mean, you can't do this anymore.

I think you misunderstood the point of "1984."

NickName99

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2018
Is there a way to spin this into some negative news?

Maybe we’re all “sheeple” for trusting Apple too much on updates? Ugh, I don’t know man. I’ve heard older battier relatives say that having software updates means they screwed it up the first time. As a software developer, I’m not sure where to start, or whether I should just smile and nod

coolfactor

macrumors 603
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Kind of a straw man argument when most people have been forced over, and then there is the Catalina upgrade screaming at people...

I recently updated to Catalina on my MacBook Air 2013 and it went extremely smoothly. I really though I'd miss the Dashboard (my last holdout), but I am adapting just fine. Everything runs buttery smooth, although I do seem to experience higher CPU usage on a more frequent basis.

I had held off the upgrade to Catalina for months, and there was no screaming involved. I think I had to adjust a setting, though. Can't remember, but it was silent for months.

As for iOS 13, I can't think of a reason not to upgrade to this. It is a great release. Anyone holding out is missing out.

CarpalMac

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2012
UK
And come Monday, Apple will poke fun at Android and their lastest software install base.

I think they have stopped doing that as they realised that it made them look like douches. Also, virtually no one outside of forums like these cares.

I have a Mk1 Pixel as it still has free unlimited full-res photo uploads. It still works fine, despite not having any new updates since last year. Of course I would prefer it to continue to have updates and am definitely not going to defend Google's decisions (on frankly anything hardware or software related) but it certainly doesn't keep me awake at night that it doesn't.

Last edited:

Damian83

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2011
It's impressive but as always the nagging to update must be involved. Can't wait for that update to stop new versions downloading!

i still dont understand what upcoming update will add, considering the "disable automatic updates" switch is present from day one of first iphone. i NEVER updated iphone from iphone itself. i ALWAYS updated it MANUALLY from itunes. sometimes, when i used jailbreak (old good times when untethered JB existed), i dont updated even for one year, and nothing bothered me to do so. so, whats so exctiting about this "new" feature???

• Disagree
Reactions: Shirasaki

BenLeong

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2010
Seattle
Yeah it’s pretty ridiculous to call this any sort of accomplishment by Apple. Most people either have auto-updates turned on by default, or they manually update simply because their phone told them to.

It’s not like most people sit there and think, “Hm... I think Apple really knocked it out of the park with this latest update—I have to have it!”

TFK.

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2020
Dubai
Am still rocking iOS 11 on my iPhone X and a Mojave Beta release (4th) on my MacBook Pro :3

sideshowuniqueuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2016
Yeah, in context, there's a LOT of people actively, repeatedly, saying NO to the updates.

Somian

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2011
Fort Wayne, IN
Yeah it’s pretty ridiculous to call this any sort of accomplishment by Apple. Most people either have auto-updates turned on by default, or they manually update simply because their phone told them to.

It’s not like most people sit there and think, “Hm... I think Apple really knocked it out of the park with this latest update—I have to have it!”

The accomplishment is that the platform is designed for longevity, compared to competing platforms where the OS company is different from the device manufacturer and the responsibility for providing device updates is with each individual device manufacturer and devices are often obsolete after 2 years whereas in the Apple world, it's more like 5 years.

The real accomplishment from the Apple side isn't even the 92% of devices from the last 4 years. It's the 81% of all of their iPhones. Of course, this could mean that when an iPhone is declared obsolete, users upgrade and the device falls out of the pool of "active devices" that count towards this percentage.

But it also means that the platform is very up-to-date. For developers, this means that when making an App using the latest APIs, only available in iOS 13, I can reach more than 80% of the customers.

This is why, for example, when a company makes an App with AR support, they might not bother abut Android even though recent versions of Android added an AR framework and most people use Android Phones.

However, if you look at the number of active Android phones that support AR, compared to the number of iPhones that support AR, the tell a different story. This in combination with having to support a wider range of GPUs and spending way more money on testing (or, alternatively, delivering a sub-par product), makes iOS very attractive as a platform to develop for, even though similar features are available on Android. The platform isn't just about what the software and hardware theoretically supports. It's about installed user base as well.

Bill Av

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2006
I always update. I keep hoping that some of the bugs I have will be squashed. Either the bugs don't get squashed, or new ones get introduced. Either way, I keep updating.

mariusignorello

macrumors 68000
Jun 9, 2013
They added the option to turn off automatic downloading of updates, so for those not interested that is progress.

Altivec88

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2016
The accomplishment is that the platform is designed for longevity, compared to competing platforms where the OS company is different from the device manufacturer and the responsibility for providing device updates is with each individual device manufacturer and devices are often obsolete after 2 years whereas in the Apple world, it's more like 5 years.

The real accomplishment from the Apple side isn't even the 92% of devices from the last 4 years. It's the 81% of all of their iPhones. Of course, this could mean that when an iPhone is declared obsolete, users upgrade and the device falls out of the pool of "active devices" that count towards this percentage.

But it also means that the platform is very up-to-date. For developers, this means that when making an App using the latest APIs, only available in iOS 13, I can reach more than 80% of the customers.

This is why, for example, when a company makes an App with AR support, they might not bother abut Android even though recent versions of Android added an AR framework and most people use Android Phones.

However, if you look at the number of active Android phones that support AR, compared to the number of iPhones that support AR, the tell a different story. This in combination with having to support a wider range of GPUs and spending way more money on testing (or, alternatively, delivering a sub-par product), makes iOS very attractive as a platform to develop for, even though similar features are available on Android. The platform isn't just about what the software and hardware theoretically supports. It's about installed user base as well.

Thank You. Someone that gets it...

TFK.

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2020
Dubai
Genuine question... why? What is it about the later versions that has you holding off?

For my iPhone was the fact I can’t run my Twitter app (version 6.67 (2016)) on iOS 12 so stayed at iOS 11.. And for my Mac was the 32bit apps of course 😁

Last edited:

PinkyMacGodess

macrumors 604
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I knew someone, briefly, who was trying to cling to their original iPhone 1.0. Are those things still able to work now?

Some people, huh... An iPhone 1 would be a curiosity, not something I would actually use.

I would like to see their face when they find out that the reason it's not working is because they are too cheap to upgrade. Um... 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: EmotionalSnow
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.