Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

B4U

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
So, Sony is shooting itself in its foot by shafting the Xperia phone line in a worse way?
The remote play still does not work over cellular last time I tried.

Beelzbub

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2012
I cannot wait for this. I have fiber in my home so speed is not an issue for me, and man this will make traveling so much more fun now.

fourfour44

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2010
PS4 Remote Play already supports the DS4, it has ever since it came to iOS. What's new is the DS4 (and for some reason the Xbone) controller basically becoming MFi controllers

Reactions: SteveW928

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
Yeah my wireless XBox controller for PC was detected and worked instantly with the SteamLink app. Works quite nicely too. The only thing is the lag, which for me is quite high when streaming from my PC, not sure why.

I really like that Apple is opening up iOS for gaming, especially given Apple's line of products. Lots of interesting use cases with iPhones and iPads (iPad Pro gaming!). It's a game changer... no pun intended. :)

Services revenue stream ;)

Apple has to fill in the gap from slowing hardware sales, by opening up the ecosystem there will be an initial uptake in hardware purchases due to interest from those who were unable to do things on the present OS version.

Example: I have an iPad Mini 3, I am interested in playing some games with wireless controller support. iOS 13 is not supported on Mini 3, so I upgrade to a 4 or 5.

It is a lockstep revenue booster for Apple, it’s shares prices will increase due to opening up into various markets.

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
If Sony rolls out PS Now for iOS and put more PS4 games via streaming, they will make lots of money from the monthly subscription

I think you totally got the concept wrong.

Thats a whole other animal, all Sony is doing is streaming. To actually have an PS NOW app run natively on iOS/Android would mean porting games and having the hardware and testing the hardware (meaning the phones) to run these said games.

That would be hundreds of millions of dollars in programming labor and testing and royalties and legal obstacles (assuming they do it right and don't cut corners)

And since apple gets a cut of all app transactions, probably not.

SteveW928

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2010
Victoria, B.C. Canada
It is now ;)

Good... this may well (IMO) be the biggest news in Apple-gaming for quite some time. I think the lack of controller support (or having to find an obscure MFi controller) was really holding things back.

I don't think the big news is the PS Remote stuff, but what it will do for games on iOS to break free from the touch-screen limitations, and a lot of people have PS4/Xbox controllers (or access to them) already. Now the developers of games can start introducing more console-like games.

And... for those of us playing games like Minecraft, this should also be good as Bedrock seems to be becoming the default platform. (Or, gamers playing Fortnight, etc.)
[doublepost=1559746830][/doublepost]
I cannot wait for this. I have fiber in my home so speed is not an issue for me, and man this will make traveling so much more fun now.

That has nothing to do with this so far. PS Remote just plays over the local network (at least for now).
(Oh, sorry... looks like I was wrong on this.)
[doublepost=1559747120][/doublepost]
PS4 Remote Play already supports the DS4, it has ever since it came to iOS. What's new is the DS4 (and for some reason the Xbone) controller basically becoming MFi controllers

Exactly. I think how it worked previously is that the DS4 was basically communicating directly with the PS4 unit, not the iOS device. So, unless you were in the remote reaches of your home, it won't make much of a difference (though in bigger homes, I suppose that could be several rooms/floors, as BT doesn't go too far).

The big news here is that you can hook a DS4 (or Xbox) controller right to your iOS device to play other games, including use it directly with PS Remote.

I wonder if they will also bring direct support to the Mac? You can already connect DS4 controllers, and I've been using a great little app called 'Controllers' but you have to map the buttons and it doesn't support the controller 100% (touch-pad, toggle functionality of the stick buttons, etc.). Direct support might make that more likely.

Last edited:

jbellanca

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
At the moment the Xbox or DS4 controller connected only has MFi spec - so the touchpad, PS, and share buttons do not work. Apple may or may not fix this, they seem more concerned about letting you use the controller for tvOS and iOS games so I wouldn’t hold my breath.
[doublepost=1559740624][/doublepost]
I think they just meant Xbox controllers that support Bluetooth - the early versions did not.

Do L3 & R3 work? I'll have to test them. They were JUST added to the MFi spec and there was only one wired controller than supports them currently, so curious to know if they're enabled on the DS4.
[doublepost=1559749493][/doublepost]
From my experience, there is substantial lag in the Remote Play app that severely limits the playability of rapid action games like first-person shooters and sport games.

Yes and no. Depends a LOT on your network connectivity on both ends. I travel a lot for work, so use Remote Play probably 3 nights a week from a hotel, and as long as the hotel speeds are fast, it works really well with a tiny bit of lag, but not much. As soon as the connection speed drops, though, you can really tell.
[doublepost=1559749567][/doublepost]

Until now, you've never been able to connect a DS4 to an iOS device without jailbreaking.

BuffaloTF

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2008
It's not just limited to the X-Box One "S" controller, it also works with the non-S version. I have a X-Box One controller that I use with Windows 10 and it works as well.

I believe that distinction is due to the S controllers kicking off the Bluetooth connections, where prior to that the original One and 360 controllers used RF to connect to the consoles. I don’t know that you can get a new controller any more that isn’t Bluetooth.

jbellanca

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
I think you totally got the concept wrong. Thats a whole other animal, all Sony is doing is streaming. To actually have an PS NOW app run natively on iOS/Android would mean porting games and having the hardware and testing the hardware (meaning the phones) to run these said games. That would be hundreds of millions of dollars in programming labor and testing and royalties and legal obstacles (assuming they do it right and don't cut corners)

PS Now is a streaming service, just like Remote Play technically - it doesn't download the game to the device to play locally. The hardware running the games is all on Sony's servers, and just the resulting screen output is sent to the receiving device. No games would need to be ported.
[doublepost=1559749879][/doublepost]
That has nothing to do with this so far. PS Remote just plays over the local network (at least for now).[doublepost=1559747120][/doublepost]

That's not really true. It only works over a WiFi network, regardless of whether it's local or not. Just not over cellular. You can be connected to a wifi network halfway across the globe, and it will still work and you can still play your PS4 at home. I play from a hotel 2-3 nights a week just fine over the internet - I just need to be connected to the hotel wifi to do it, not the cellular network.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
I’m very hopeful this will allow 8bitDo controllers to work by them emulating PS/XB controllers.

Stacked

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2012
Is this something that Android users have been able to do previously? Connecting their ps4/xbox controller via bluetooth and playing games on the go?

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
If PS Now comes to Apple TV I will sign up in a heart beat (through Sony’s website). This is already pretty amazing - cannot wait to try it when iOS 13 releases.

Reactions: dabotsonline

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
I think you totally got the concept wrong.

Thats a whole other animal, all Sony is doing is streaming. To actually have an PS NOW app run natively on iOS/Android would mean porting games and having the hardware and testing the hardware (meaning the phones) to run these said games.

That would be hundreds of millions of dollars in programming labor and testing and royalties and legal obstacles (assuming they do it right and don't cut corners)

And since apple gets a cut of all app transactions, probably not.
I am pretty sure PSNow can be just a streaming thing without any local files. PS Now allows you to play on a Pc with games that have never been ported to PC and have no local files. It could definetly be done for iOS (and then Mac with catalyst). I am salivating just thinking about it.

SteveW928

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2010
Victoria, B.C. Canada
Do L3 & R3 work? I'll have to test them. They were JUST added to the MFi spec and there was only one wired controller than supports them currently, so curious to know if they're enabled on the DS4.

Oh, interesting about MFi spec. I just figured my Steelseries Nimbus just didn't have the right kind of sticks. I'm glad to hear that is added, and we can use controllers that have it. (Especially because when playing games like Minecraft you're used to from other platforms, you had to have alternate mappings, which in theory, we won't now.)

That's not really true. It only works over a WiFi network, regardless of whether it's local or not. Just not over cellular. You can be connected to a wifi network halfway across the globe, and it will still work and you can still play your PS4 at home. I play from a hotel 2-3 nights a week just fine over the internet - I just need to be connected to the hotel wifi to do it, not the cellular network.

Thanks for the correction on that!

The chipset on the Apple TV will eventually be so powerful you can run full-fledged PS4 and Xbox One games on it locally.

Well, I suppose, but by then we'll probably have a PS5, or PS6. While I recognize there can be efficiency differences between platforms (and Apple's is particularly efficient!), I'm guessing basic physics will always keep a difference. In other words, what you can do in a tiny device with small battery and no active cooling, just won't match a big device on AC power with fans, etc.

A 12.9 iPad Pro = a portable PlayStation???

Just remember that the PS4 has to be running, and that you're using it while you're playing. It just allows you to 'remote' the screen (and now controls).

I am pretty sure PSNow can be just a streaming thing without any local files.

Yeah, I think Sony's actual intent was more about getting into hotel TV boxes and such, rather than providing a compatible back-catalog to we PS4 people (much to our chagrin).

I'd LOVE it if Sony made some of the PS3/PS2 games available for purchase to play via the PS Now tech, but they seem determined with the subscription model, and haven't ported a bunch of key games I'd want. (I'm trying to remember if they sell a few directly, but if so, they aren't the ones I"m interested in.)

When I first heard about PS Now, I thought my backward compatibility wishes were solved, but it turned out not to be the case (for me anyway).

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
it just dawned on me that in the future I don't even think we would buy expensive gaming hardware for PC or even consoles.

Either Sony/Microsoft/Steam will host powerful servers with high speed ISP and stream to whatever device or the gaming developers will (EA/Activision). but more so the console/platform holders I think would benefit the most unless the developers cut them off completely but then you want a consolidated virtual marketplace where users can go to.

Nobody wants to sign up membership by gaming developer (if the gaming developer streams the product, but if its by app or what not maybe till be easy). But technically a gaming developer can cut out Sony, Steam, Microsoft if they host their own Gaming/Streaming servers like EA or Activision.

there's pros and cons but definitely doable (I know its being done right now) as the main setup/option. Just like blockbuster these hardware are going to die out sooner or later. Why need a GPU, CPU, or a console that delivers 4K when you only need fast internet and a display?

Cons

- No profit from Console hardware (Console/marketplace)
-

Pros

- Monthy/yearly Residual Income By Subscription
- Easier to sell games, no hardware upgrades needed
- To counter console hardware profit losses, Have a charge for new version yearly or have yearly cover
- Less logistics cost because of no hardware.

SteveW928

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2010
Victoria, B.C. Canada
Are the controller supported for native iOS games?

I sure hope so! If so, that would be the much bigger news than PS Remote Play. (And, that's the way I took the story.)
[doublepost=1559755612][/doublepost]
it just dawned on me that in the future I don't even think we would buy expensive gaming hardware for PC or even consoles.

Either Sony/Microsoft/Steam will host powerful servers with high speed ISP and stream to whatever device or the gaming developers will (EA/Activision). ...

Oh, they absolutely WANT to do that. The problem is technology/physics.

The problem is that gaming has gone to higher resolutions (meaning a bigger picture to stream), but primarily the lag involved for higher-action games (which are most of the big titles).

Sure, tech keeps advancing, the pipes get bigger, etc. but the problem is more speed in terms of the lag. When you stream a 4k video (hard enough, and HIGHLY compressed), you can buffer it up. But, with a game, you'd have to compress it on the fly, then transfer it in real-time. And, then there is the delay between sending the controller input back to the server-farm, it reacting, and sending the results back.

I don't see a good way around that unless you live across the street from that server farm (such that the lag is relatively minimal... but even then, probably to much for serious gamers).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.