Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Rumors have suggested that Apple's iPhone 12 models will not include power adapters or EarPods in the box, and a minor code tweak in iOS 14.2 seemingly confirms Apple's plan to sell the new devices without EarPods.

appleearpods.jpg

In iOS 14 and earlier versions of iOS, there's a mention of reducing exposure to RF energy by using the "supplied headphones," which is the same wording that Apple has used for years now.

In iOS 14.2, this wording has been tweaked to say just "headphones," removing the "supplied" part of this statement. The full code reads as follows:
To reduce exposure to RF energy, use a hands-free option, such as the built-in speakerphone, headphones, or other similar accessories.
All prior mentions of headphones have included "supplied," and the deliberate elimination of the word in the new code strongly suggests Apple has no plans to "supply" headphones with the upcoming iPhone 12 models.

suppliedearpods.jpg

notsuppliedearpods.jpg
The mention of "supplied headphones" in iOS 14 is on the top, and the new wording without the word "supplied" is on the bottom​

Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said in May that the iPhone 12 models will not come with EarPods in the box, with Apple instead planning to introduce some kind of AirPods promotion to encourage iPhone buyers to purchase AirPods as well.

There have also been rumors that Apple is eliminating the power adapter from the iPhone 12 box, which means customers will get an iPhone 12 and a USB-C to Lightning cable with nothing else.

Barclays-iP12-remove-charger-earpods-tealish-1.jpg

The removal of the power adapter was all but confirmed when Apple released the Apple Watch Series 6 models without a power adapter, but until now, we've heard little else about the potential removal of the EarPods.

Apple has long offered EarPods with new iPhone models to give customers a way to listen to music, make calls, and more, but Apple has been aiming to transition to Bluetooth-only headphones since the launch of the AirPods and the removal of the headphone jack from the iPhone lineup.

Current iPhone 11 and 11 Pro models ship with EarPods that have a Lightning connector to plug into the Lightning port, but it appears the iPhone 11 devices will be the last to come with headphones in the box.

Apple is said to be removing the power adapter and the EarPods from the iPhone 12 box in order to cut costs, as the 5G chips in the new devices are expensive. The change will also allow Apple to slim down the size of the iPhone box, reducing packaging and environmental waste.

Steve Moser contributed to this report.

Article Link: iOS 14.2 Suggests Apple Won't Include EarPods in the Box With iPhone 12

IPPlanMan

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2009
How is this reducing packaging and environmental waste if I have to order a power supply or headphones from someone else and they have to ship it to me in a separate box through a separate carrier as part of a separate transaction?

I'm so tired of this feel-good nonsense that doesn't actually have a net positive at all. In fact, it's a net negative. Well done Tim.

Hammerd

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2019
Tim Apple
While I agree that the USB cable, power brick and earphones are useless for most, it is still necessary for some and one should be able to get em for free (or a small fee to prevent abuse) if asked. Those items cost virtually nothing to Apple.
Also, if this an environmental-friendly decision, they should explain how selling disposable airpods with their 2 yr battery lifespan (non replaceable of course) is better :rolleyes:.
Would they really care about the planet (and not selling more airpods), they would have made items that can be fixed.. I bought airpods pro but I've been pissed looking at iFixit and comments of fellows customers that face battery issues.

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
How is this reducing packaging and environmental waste if I have to order a power supply or headphones from someone else and they have to ship it to me in a separate box through a separate carrier as part of a separate transaction?

I'm so tired of this feel-good nonsense that doesn't actually have a net positive at all. In fact, it's a net negative. Well done Tim.

yeah. No reason to be ashamed about trying to make money. Apple really annoys me with their „for the planet / customer“ spin

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

Not to worry, I have a closet full of earpods and power adapters. You can have any model power adapter you want as long as it's 5w.

So yeah. Well done Tim.

youdontsay

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2013

himanshumodi

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2012
India
Honestly speaking, do people still even use these nowadays?

I've not used any supplied buds since my first Android over 10 years ago.

Apple earbuds really work well for me. They are my go-to earphones when I am not using airpods. I will miss this, but I see Apple's POV here. I mean, OnePlus (and I am sure others) gets away without earphones in the box. So Apple's definitely seeing this as a profit maximization opportunity.

I will miss them. I do wish they would make a stronger cable for the earbuds so I wouldn't mind buying it separately at Apple premium. And I also hope they don't make it sound like this is a good thing for the customers because now they can choose what earbuds they want. That courage thing was a timeless gaffe... we don't need one more.

MacDevil7334

Contributor
Oct 15, 2011
Austin TX

For every person who needs an adaptor, I bet there are 5-10 who do not. We have now been through over well 10 years of smart phone ownership where many people trade in their old phone to Apple or their carrier when they upgrade. Most carriers don’t require the power adaptor at trade in. So, people keep accumulating adaptors. I believe the net effect is positive, even if the way Apple is going about it is lousy from a PR perspective. Apple could easily solve that problem by giving people who actually need an adaptor a voucher or discount if they buy at the same time as the phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.